BugBopper Challenges the Competition

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by BugBopperGuy, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

~ Removed URL to Malware List Site as per Policy - BugBopper can google it, if interested - JRViejo ~

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2010
  2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

On disk, you're correct ;) i was looking at the install file sizes - Setup_Wuzzup.exe = 2.81 MB - prevxcsifree.exe = 928 KB = you win on that. So what do i owe you :D

To add to suggestions.

Listing of ALL files/size/locations for upload, Before uploading.

Right click to remove any from uploading.

Estimated time for uploading.

Option to pause with continue after a set time.

Option to delay uploading for eg, via scheduling and/or timer, and/or by so many Mbytes per upload.

You might not have to upload EVERY file even for first timers. If your app took an MD5 etc of each detect it could compare the found local MD5's with those on your server = saving Lots of our/your time/bandwith = :thumb: Only the unknowns would then be flagged for uploading = :thumb:

Not everybody has broadband, and even if they do it might not always be super fast.

My browsing kept failing to connect whilst the partial uploads were taking place, which is one of the reasons i stopped it.

Regards.

3. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

As for scan speed.. Please beat this..

A Full system scan with Prevx was 18.4 Min (This includes my 500Gig / 120gigs Free Backup Drive and my 500Gig / 180ish Gigs free Laptop HD) After the full scan this is the scan time of the drive. I'm sorry I wont try BugBopper, Mainly because no way in hell would I want to see how much of the data that it would want to uploaded to your servers. I'm sure I would be over the 10gig mark LONG before I even hit my malware pile which would add a nice chunk to that. :doubt:

This is after a full system scan.
    lol.jpg

4. guest

guest Guest

Only 13260 files scanned??

5. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

It doesn't detect ANY Virut Variant. Virut is one of the most common virus infections and is listed ItW. None of the other trojans (around 500.000 mixed samples) were detected; most of them are just marked as unknown and ready for upload.

6. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Oops, i guess u used samples from your own database... I guess i should throw my 100,000 Samples now ... :)

7. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I think it already does compute hashes - the 'suspects' are the unknown files being uploaded.

8. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Yes. Once you do a full scan of the drive it whitelists Known good files and only checks them again if it changes. This is the same way ALOT of AV's do it now, and from I read this one works the same way after it's initial scan.

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Hola Mike-sensei I have missed you. Welcome back! (By the way, I always wanted to see a Maidenhead -- great scenery, I'll wager.)

Your comment was a bit too cryptic for my tiny brain to comprehend. Did you actually test Bugbopper against 500,000 malware samples? If so, did you allow Bugbopper to upload the unknowns?

10. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

From what I read, I believe what he was saying is that the 500,000 mixed samples he tested against were not detected, but were marked as unknown and ready to be uploaded. Whether he actually allowed them to be uploaded I don't know.

11. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

I think I've read enough :) Seriously. Not a month goes by when there isn't a new upstart company that comes up with a new anti-malware that is faster and more effective than everyone else. This is getting a bit ridiculous. We all appreciate innovation, but when you make comments like this, you know you are going to get taken down.

Reminds of a dumbo that said "Macs can't be hacked".

12. bellgamin

Macs always make me hack. And puke. But Happy Meals are nice (I like the toys).

But seriously -- I think the statement that distresses you was made in the form of a challenge -- an intentionally over-stated comment that was designed to give rise to discussion & debate.

13. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Yes, I agree with this statement to a point. But for there to be a challenge there also has to be something to back it up, as of right now all I see is words and no physical evidence to support it. But then again alot of AV company's try to use this tactic to get attention, Normally it just blows up in there face when ever it's challenged.

Also something else that bugs me about this challenge, if I found a product better then this one why the hell would I want a free license to this product ? would we not want the better product ? In a way to me it makes no sense.

14. bellgamin

It makes sense to me. If others folks test BB against other security apps, because of lust for a free license, then I shall gather possibly valuable information from their efforts -- & that is true whether they find that BB is all that it claims to be, OR they discover that some other security app looks to be even better.

Release the hounds! :cool: ;) :D

15. BugBopperGuy

BugBopperGuy Registered Member

I am not sure where we will want to stop. I don't like KitchenSinkware, and don't think I ever want to be connected to a product that claims to do everything but weighs 4,000 pounds. I don't mind checking under the bed for malware, though. We'll see.

16. BugBopperGuy

:cool: I owe you for all the good suggestions here. Thanks. And keep them coming!

I think these will all be in our next release. At least they are all in our list of specs for it.

In fact, we only upload a file if we've never seen it before. Uploading the same file twice doesn't do anyone any good. Our early adopters, like you, sometimes have quite a few files we've never seen, but this is improving as our user base increases.

17. BugBopperGuy

Well, Inspector... I would be very interested in detecting 100% of your samples, and very willing to do the analysis in our lab that made that possible. If you would be willing to send the samples via FTP, or if you would be willing to let me retrieve them via FTP, I'll push them to the top of the analysis queue, and you won't need to let BugBopper upload anything from these directories. Then you'll see how precisely we name things, and how fast we go.

You may contact me privately at Wilders, or at David@BugBopper.com I hope you will.

18. BugBopperGuy

Hi, AvinashR,

I'm keen to analyze as many malware samples as we possibly can, to speed our execution time when scanning collections. If you are willing to contact me with a PM here, or by email at David@BugBopper.com, perhaps we can discuss an FTP arrangement.

19. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

@BugBopperGuy

Just a note your file version and product version info is not filled out in file properties. Just in case they were forgotten to be filled out, I noticed it when my firewall alerted my for outbound connections.

20. BugBopperGuy

That is right. We only upload a given file once. Still, there are lots of files out there, and at the moment, we only know the details of about 8.6 million files... so there will be lots of unknowns on their way to our lab.

21. BugBopperGuy

The world is full of folks that say dumb things. I'm certainly on that list. But there is a little gap between people who make stuff up, and people who issue a public challenge like I did. And a big gap between people who will believe anything and people who won't even do an experiment to see if something might be true.

But that's why we put the challenge out there.

No one has yet reported a product that is smaller on disk, has a faster second scan, or detects more. I'm waiting.

My claim about detection rate pertains only to your second scan of a file and it gives us a chance to analyze the file and find malware -- or not. What is preposterous about that notion?

You can let it scan your collection at night, or whenever you aren't using the machine. I can't see the difficulty in that. And you can try it by just scanning 10 files from your collection, then coming back in an hour, and scanning those 10 files again.

22. BugBopperGuy

Do you mean file properties, found with a right-click on the file? Here's what I see with our latest BugBopper:
    Capture.JPG

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

BBG, I am a believer. no one would be so foolish to make the claim and not be confident enough to back it up.

lord aia hste typing on a netbook:mad:

24. BugBopperGuy

Size was easy for me to measure, and things turned out just fine for our challenge: Wuzzup was the smallest of 122 products compared. (see here). So there's a start. But maybe you know of a product that is smaller on disk. Presto. Provide that product name and size, and you have a license.

If we did a dozen "studies" like this, would the world believe us then? Nah.

That's why the challenge.

25. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I was talking about the setup file.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.