Bug report - Privacy Expert 8

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by jimmytop, Mar 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

First let me say, I'm very impressed with the Real-time spy shield features of Acronis Privacy Expert Suite 8. Especially at the highest setting, it really should be the default, the lower setting can't hang.

But anyway, with Spyshield set to detect "All Suspicious Activity" (the highest setting), I notice the following issues:

1) Attempting to load Spybot S&D, Acronis pops up several alerts for registry settings in the "Software Configuration Areas" before it will start Spybot S&D. I choose Allow and check the box that says "Remember this decision" but everytime I run Spybot S&D, it gives these same registry change alerts over and over again. Why won't it remembero_O

2) This one is really annoying. When I open Internet Explorer, I'm using Google as my home page. But this happens regardless of the page: Try to close out of IE and Acronis throws up an alert about IEXPLORE.EXE trying to create a registry key in the browser hijacking areas. This is obviously bogus. Unfortunately, checking the Allow box and Remember Decision does no good. The next time I try to close IE, it throws up the same alert.

Again, I like this product very much. The real-time features rival that of Spysweeper.

2. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I reported this to Acronis and I will let you know when I hear something unless Support posts here first.

Hope this helps,

Chris

3. jimmytop

Chris, thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it. Do you also notice the issue that I mentioned with IE? I mostly use Firefox so it's not that big of a deal, but on one machine I use IE and it's very annoying there. Simply closing IE should not generate a spyshield warning....

Thanks

4. Chris12923

Yes I do and especially since it doesn't remember it's even worse. Hopefully they will fix this as well.

Thanks,

Chris

5. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, jimmytop

You are 100% right there jimmytop.

Could you tell what you mean by that jimmytop.

Do you mean the higher setting work OK for you, and the lower setting hang.

I have no problems with lower ones.

But the higher. HUUUUUH :D

I would like to use the higher ones have a deluge on warnings.

I 100% agreed.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Privacy Expert Suite (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/privacyexpert/).

Please do the following:

- Next time you see the dialog please press the button with two blue windows on it ("Show advanced") in the upper right corner of the dialog screen;
    - Choose "Remember Event" and choose the appropriate button ("Allow", "Block", "Allow all" or "Block all").

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. jimmytop

In the case of Spybot S&D, this does not work. No combination of "Remember Event" or "Remember Process" with "Allow" or "Allow All" works permanently for Spybot S&D. The very next time you run Spybot S&D, you get the alerts again. Have you tried it?

As for Internet Explorer, by allowing with "Remember Event" have I opened the door for any old browser hijack? How do I know?

Thanks for your help!

By the way, the Advanced button doesn't look anything like a button. Until you mentioned it, I had know idea it was there.

8. jimmytop

What I meant was, the lower setting lets too much stuff past. I don't mind the extra alerts (within reason) that you get with the higher setting, because it really stops almost everything from getting past as far as spyware. But the issues with Spybot S&D are too much. And same with closing IE.

9. Chris12923

This is what support wrote about remember this decision. Same thing Ilya said so probably not much help for your problem?

Thanks,

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.