BSOD Problem using WSA with Sony Laptop

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I cannot use WSA with my Sony Vaio Laptop model VPCEB46FX without having multiple BSOD's. They appear to be random, but I can also trigger a BSOD by running Ccleaner everytime. This has been the case since WSA was released. Is anyone else using a Sony Vaio Laptop with WSA, and are you having any problems? I have sent multiple bug reports by running their log utility, and I have an open support ticket. I have given remote access to my laptop, and we still have not been able to pinpoint the problem. It does not look like this is one that is going to be solved anytime soon. So, is anyone using or own a Sony Vaio Laptop you can try WSA on if you have not already?

2. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I am having WSA on my VAIO laptop (see signature) and I don't have problem with BSODs. I also use Ccleaner without a hitch. I have been using WSA long time, even at the time of Prevx 3 before Webroot acquired Prevx and never had a BSOD issue related to Prevx/WSA. However I was having BSODs in the past which after very lengthy scrutiny turned out to be the culprit in VAIO Power Management. The problems were caused by VAIO Optimized so I changed to Balanced and all the BSODs issues disappeared. So it might be worth to try it.

3. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

I hope you're not running CCleaner after having the BSOD... That cleans up the logs they need to look at. :\ They need the memory dumps from the BSODs at the very least.

Looking into VAIO information regarding BSODs on Google, it looks like the most common is a 0x3b, which in the case of the Vaios is usually bad drivers somewhere and occasionally hardware problems (Memory that the Vaio doesn't like being the most common). Update ALLllllllll the drivers (Esp including Video, Network, WEBCAM, System-level (Such as drive controller, etc), etc. If you see it as a driver, look for an update.

Beyond that, I couldn't really say. No idea if it's specific to your unique configuration or if a lot of Vaio users are getting BSODs with WSA.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  4. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

That's a very good point - what we'll need to diagnose the issue is the files from C:\windows\minidump\. Those should let us narrow it down quite quickly, as long as CCleaner doesn't erase them :)

5. Cutting_Edgetech

I have sent them around 20 or more memory dumps. I have tried updating all my drivers, and firmware. Nothing has helped so far. Thanks for the responses. I think the power management suggested by pegas is worth looking into. I will double check for any remaining outdated drivers. Thanks everyone. I think it could possible be some of Sony's software that came installed with the laptop. I have updated it as well, but it did not help.

6. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

As a general rule, it seems that anything with three vowels in a row is evil. The proliferation of BSODs on Win 7 Vaios in Google was amazing.

7. Cutting_Edgetech

We were only running Ccleaner as a quick way to see if the problem had been resolved. I can have many more BSOD's to send them within minutes after running Ccleaner to send them.

8. Cutting_Edgetech

I bought this Laptop at Office Max, and I payed for a 2 year warranty. Its time to take it in for a replacement unless they can resolve this issue. I was reading online that someone else had a similar problem as me so they replaced his with a new one, but he still had the same problem with BSOD's right after getting a new replacement. I guess the lesson her may be to stay away from Sony Vaio Laptops. Its a little later for me though.

9. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Cutting_Edgetech,

I've worked on several hardware-sick and/or infected Sony laptops over the years, and as a result, would never own one myself. o_O :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.