BSOD on shutdown on WinXP (eamon.sys)

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Gaillimh, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaillimh

Gaillimh Registered Member

I have recently installed Eset Smart Security on my home computer which is WinXP SP3. I am new to Eset. I have version 4.2.64.12 of Smart Security. However, since I installed it every time I shut down I get a BSOD with the following information:
    Stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xEDE51615, 0xEDFD8AEC, 0x00000000)
    eamon.sys - Address EDE51615 base at EDE4A000, Datestamp 4C3d7162

I can't seem to get rid of this problem. I have tried running Regcure to no avail.

This has never happened before, only since I installed Eset. Has anyone experienced this problem? Any advice?

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Manually uninstall and re-install again, please post back your findings. Have a memory dump ready, in the event ESET requests one.

Personal opinion, your registry edit software is not helping. :ouch:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  3. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

In addition to asking for a memory dump, they may ask you to send a SysInspector log as well. That's what they did when I opened a ticket with them when I was having BSODs on the restart of windows updates (4.2.64.12 seemed to fix the problem though). I don't know if the registry cleaner, RegCure, that you are using is part of the problem or not, but I used to use it and it caused problems for me (messed up my Bluetooth drivers) and I heard that it might be rogue software as it uses scare tactics (exagerates number of errors, and you have to purchase the program to remove them) to get you to buy it.

Regards,

Mark

4. siljaline

Thanks for the suggestion to prepare a Sysinspector Log, xMarkx :thumb:

The onus is on the OP to rid of questionable software as you and I have pointed out.

It does appear suspicious on reputation based site scanners :ouch:

5. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

You're welcome :D. And thanks for posting the link for the SysInspector log.

6. siljaline

Glad to help in whatever way I can. :thumb:

7. Gaillimh

Gaillimh Registered Member

Thanks for your help on this. I uninstalled and following a re-boot my blue screen on shutdown problem finally went away. I also uninstalled RegCure.

Then I reinstalled and when the install was complete I shut down again and it shut down normally. No blue screen!! :)

Then I did a full disk scan and when that was complete (no threats found) I shut down and got the same blue screen problem again. :mad:

I was only on a 30-day trial for Eset so I think I'm going to go and find some other AV software. Pity, because it seemed to run quite well otherwise.

8. siljaline

You're welcome for the assistance, have you submitted a memory dump and SysInspector Log to ESET ?

Until they are able to analyse these dump files, your issue may not be related to ESET software, the possibility exists, this should be considered as an option.

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Gaillimh, PM sent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.