BSOD is caused by reimage or new drive?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by scotster, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotster

scotster Registered Member

Hi have an Acer aspire 5670 laptop which is around 2 years old and is running a fully upto date XP and TI 11 again I install any updates for that available.

I have just upgraded the hard drive from a 120 GB seagate to one of the new high capacity 320GB Toshiba drives.

The original drive had 4 'partitions'

1) C: Primary Active. NTFS. Running XP. 34G
    2) D: Primary. NTFS. Data partition. 72G
    3) PQ. Primary. FAT32. I think that this is the acer recovery partition. Only 3.8G
    4) Acronis recovery partition. FAT32. NO info on if it is logical or primary. 1.4G

I got the above info from TI.

I backed up all these partitions into one .tib file on an external usb drive and validated it and checked I could mount it.

I then created a recovery disk CD.

I then then swapped in the new drive and booted to the recovery CD.

I restored each partition in turn as follows:

1) C>D. Active. Same Size.
    2) D>E. Primary. Resized to fill new drive
    3) PQ. Primary. Same Size and as FAT32
    4) Acronis. Logical. Same size as FAT 32

You have to choose active, primary or logical when restoring so I chose the one that I thought matched the original.

The drive letters were reassigned as the external usb drive took c: when running TI from the recovery CD.

After a successful restore I rebooted and all went well. Even the drive letters had reassigned themselves back to C: and D: as before.

After checking out all the basics were working I was very happy!

Then around 10 mins in I had BSOD. and this happens every 5 or 10 mins.

If I swap back the old drive its fine.

Is it more likely to be the new drive causing the issue or the re-image?

THE BSOD is saying bad pool header STOP 0X0...19. caused by a driver for hardware.

I have never updated the BIOs but I assumed that the new drive would work fine. Am I assuming too much? The BIOS certainly recognises the drive.

Any help welcome please..I dont want to spend hours trying different restores only to find its the drive. Similarly I dont want to take the risk of bricking teh laptop by having a bad BIOS flash experience.. o_O

I am not an expert on this stuff but am reasonably PC literate.

Time is precious, Life is short. I dont want every day of the next week to turn in to some kind of computer hell...you may just be able to help! :D

Scotster.

2. scotster

No one loves me. :rolleyes:

Again. Any help welcome.

S.

3. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

If you suspect the drive, I’d go to the Toshiba site and look for any diagnostic tools they have available and thoroughly check the new drive.
    If Toshiba doesn’t have any tools, than I guess a full chkdsk is in order.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Weren't you able to assign the C partition to the old C partition when you were restoring it?

If the Weaz' suggestion doesn't reveal any problems then here are a couple of additional ideas.

Have you tried deleting the Acronis Secure Zone within True Image?

If I were doing this, I would not have restored the Secure Zone. I would have created a new one on the new drive, but that may not be necessary.

5. scotster

Thanks for the posts!

1) I was not able to assign the drive letter during restore. There is no option to that which I could find.

2) I wondered that myself about the TI zone but am not sure why it would cause a BSOD.

3) I dont suspect the drive anymore than I suspect the re-image process.

I was really looking for guidance on what was most likely.

Ill check out Toshibas site but I am expecting it to crash as Im using the tool..what does that concludeo_O? :blink:

Thanks again. Scotster

6. TheWeaz

Google the error and I think you'll find a lot of info pointing to driver/hardware issues.
    It may not be the drive per se, but perhaps just the fact that it is a different drive.

7. TheWeaz

"Is it more likely to be the new drive causing the issue or the re-image?"

I would say the drive. Or the systems ability to handle it. Or some software complaining about it. Or some other piece of hardware complaining.
    If the restore went wrong, I doubt you would be able to do anything at all; probably not even boot.

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

It might be as simple as going into hardware and updating the driver for the new disk-- when you restored thew system volume, you restored the driver set up for a harddisk that might be diff from the one you're using now and the OS jsut needs to take that into account.

When you restore, it's a diff operating system and it doesn't necessarily assign drive letters the way your regular OS does. Good idea to name your drives/partitions and go by the names and not the drive letters when doing restores.

good luck

9. scotster

Thanks guys!

I took the latest intel chip set drivers off the Acer support site for my aspire 5670 last night and installed them.

However sites such as driveragent.com are still reporting that they have more recent driver updates.

Should I trust such sites?? They will charge me $29 for a full driver pack but I am cautious...I'm sure I can get the same drivers just by spending some time trawling around intel, etc etc?

Anyone know anything about such sites?

Ill try installing the drive back tonight to see if the intel updates have fixed the issue.

Rgds, Scott.

10. TheWeaz

I'd stick with what Acer support offers.
    Did you go to Update Driver in Device Manager?

11. scotster

Yes - I tried update driver in device manager but it said it couldn't find newer drivers. I dont trust it though.....

S.

12. TheWeaz

Really nothing not to trust. You asked Windows to look where it keeps drivers and see if there's a newer one - it didn't find one. Doesn't mean there isn't one floating out in the ether somewhere - just not one Windows could find on your system.

13. scotster

What I mean is I don't trust its ability to find the latest driver.

Putting on my 'basic user' hat: If I ask the 'update driver tool'' to look on the web to find the latest driver.....then thats what I expect it to do...amazingly.

I don't know how it works.. and shouldnt need to know..

Putting on 'my slightly more advanced than basic user' hat I realise that it can never work as simply as that and I need to go out trawling on google.

So like I say..it doesnt do what it says on the tin...I have to go and do the job myself anyway.. therefore demonstrably... it cant be trusted..to do what it says its doing..

Sorry for being pedantic but it just 'aint right! :)

14. TheWeaz

"Putting on my 'basic user' hat: If I ask the 'update driver tool'' to look on the web to find the latest driver"

The only place on the web that "Update Driver" in Device Manager looks is the Windows Update Web Site, as it clearly states.

15. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello scotster,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

If disk check doesn't reveal any errors, please collect some information to let us investigate the problem thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please perform the actions described in this previous post to enable Windows mini-dumps. Then after a BSOD next occurs, please collect the created files.

Please also collect an export of Windows Event Log.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.