Brute force my filecontainer?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by widde, Oct 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. widde

widde Registered Member

Hi!
    I have a liiittle problem .. I have a Filecontainer and I really can't remember the password for that file. I feel so damn stupid right now, because I remember the last password the file had, but I changed it for a longer one when I had to leave the computer to my local service place when I had to get it repaired.

I know the first 16 letters in the password, and I remember that I used the same password when I changed it but I added an extra word to the file.

Is there any brute force programs for Truecrypt that I can use which uses dictionarys? I have some combinations I want to try, but I don't know which order it is in .. So there are quite many combinations.. (but under 100).

I feel so ****ing stupid and I have reaaaally tried to remember what I changed the password to, but I really can't remember unfortunately :(
    Am I screwed or what can I do?

2. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

Well thats not that difficult, it just needs a lot of time, I have a small cmd script here that is brute forcing a list of given passwords:

Code:
    @echo off
    set TC="%ProgramFiles%\TrueCrypt\TrueCrypt.exe"
    set VOL="c:\voume.tc"
    set DRIVE=Z
    goto :main

:try_password
    if "%DRIVE%" equ "" goto :eof
    %TC% /q /s /l %DRIVE% /v %VOL% /p %1
    echo %1
    if errorlevel 1 goto :eof
    cls
    echo.Password found: %1
    echo.
    echo.Press CTRL+C to terminate the batch file
    echo.
    pause
    set DRIVE=
    goto :eof

:main
    call try_password "Password"
    call try_password "123"
    call try_password "abc"
    call try_password "qwert"

the 4 above are obviously examples of very bad passwords, but thats just to demonstrate the idea how it works.

Now you just need some other tool to manufacture the list of passwords you want to try and put the list on the end of the script and a "call try_password "" and a """ after each password to test.

And run the script and it will find the right one if its in your list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.