Browsing with DropMyRights VS Sandboxie?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by bellgamin, Jun 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I now browse with Firefox running inside Sandboxie. Three problems...

A- Hitting F11 (full screen) creates a malfunction whereby ALL of FF's upper parts disappear off-screen, including toolbars. This malfunction does not happen when I run FF un-sandboxed.

B- Loading FF via Sandboxie is significantly slower than is the case when loading FF via DropMyRights.

C- FF feels slower when running sandboxed than is the case when FF is running in "limited user rights" status.

QUESTION- Which is *safer* -- (1) running FF sandboxed, OR (2) running FF in "limited user rights" status?

2. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

IMHO sandboxie is safer by far...but the reason it made me dump it was speed..i do not mind waiting half extra second for FF to open but it dropped my browsing speed soooo niticeably...my speedtest.net results always were 10Mbps lower (!) when FF was sandboxed than non sandboxed..I work in LUA so its the same thing as DMR and has no impact whatsoever...

locking data partitions and limiting net access to just FF is a great asset though..i miss the benefits but gained functionality :D its really up to how individuals weigh things

3. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

SBIE with newest Opera is a speed demon,no lagging whatsoever ! :thumb:

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

why not just enable the free version of Returnil when surfing ? True it will not prevent any nasties that are downloaded from working but when was the last time you were contaminated ? I would have thought that FF with noscript, adblock plus, cslite etc was more than enough and that running with Returnil was just an extra. Sandboxie, DropMyRights, or Limited user come at a price as you have experienced.

5. chris2busy

And what would the price of LUA be?maybe u know something i do not..

6. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I'm finding the same over here. :D

7. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I use Returnil but there are a few times when I (or family members) access the internet without it on. I have DropMyRights as an extra protection. I have never noticed any cost in terms of performance from using it. That is one of the reasons I have it, a little extra security at no extra cost.

8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

When looking for free fast browser protection, try GeSWall free. When looking for a fast browser try Opera.

Looked individually SBIE is safer, but you are already running Twister + ThreatFire, so dropmyrights should work okay for you.

9. bellgamin

Do you notice any browser slow-down when using Returnil?

Nah -- those were last week's toys. I am back running my Awesome Twosome -- namely, Comodo Firewall Pro (with D+) & Avira Premium.

P.S. Why are you "Kees1958" & not just plain "Kees"? Do you have 1957 brothers or....? :cool:

10. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Bellgamin
    Just tested Firefix3 and SBIE pressing F11. It displays the current website in full screen. No menus, no toolbar, no bookmarks bar.
    Tested it with FF not sandboxed and it's the same.

11. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Not at all, I wouldn't even know it was on if not for the change in it's icon from green to red.

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Same here, Returnil is the only security software that has never bit me. No slowdown even in the slightest on my system.

13. Long View

Interesting - you have no problems running with LUA ? The last time I tried it was a right pain. As to your supposition that maybe I know something that you do not - I would say with a fairly high degree of certainty that that is true but would also imagine that you also know something that I do not.

@Bellgamin - Do you notice any browser slow-down when using Returnil? No slow downs at all - whereas Sandboxie just takes too long on first use.

14. chris2busy

i meant on the LUA subject :D
    we have the same router btw :) ..yep im using LUA through SuRun..what a wonderful app...

opera+sandboxie drops me just 7-8 Mbps from speedtests...but i feel rather uneasy without noscript

15. Long View

Yea I know - I just couldn't resist

SuRun ? That's cheating. I tried it and everything seemed to work fine BUT
    there was so much talk of having to teak that and being careful about that that I thought I would wait until it required absolutely no end user understanding.

Opera without Noscript would make me feel more than uneasy. Opera doesn't work with Roboform and is not recommended with Web Research - at which point I lost interest.

16. bellgamin

Shame shame on me! :oops: I just ASSumed that SBIE was the culprit. However, it is evident that the new state of Full-screen is autochthonal to FF3 itself. (The tool bar & tabs hide, but will become visible when you move your cursor to the top edge.)

Meanwhile, back at the topic -- Several folks have said that SBIE status is more secure than LUA status. I believe you. Even so, I would appreciate it if someone would explain WHY/HOW SBIE is more secure than LUA. Please?

17. Long View

what happens if you press F11 and move your mouse to the top of the screen ?

18. bellgamin

FF3's tool bar & tab labels will re-appear when you move your cursor to top edge. Tool bar & tab labels remain present while the cursor is over them, & again hide themselves when the cursor is moved away from them.

19. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I'm no expert, but I feel safe with SBIE, mainly beacuse of the degree of control you have.
    For instance, you can set FF to be the only app that can run in that sandbox. Or you can set that FF is the only app that can connect to the internet.
    Also, having the sandbox deleted as soon as you close the browser is something less to worry about.
    And you can lock folders, so no sandboxed process can access them: no read, no write.

I have never used DropMyRights, so I don't know what you can or can't do, but I'm confortable with SBIE, knowing it will protect me.

Also, most tests discussed are passed with flying colors by SBIE, and if something fails, a new version is quickly developed fixing the problem.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  20. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

bellgamin,

Please have a look here. The link in MitchE323's post should also help.

Edit: The links are not totally relevant, but there are tidbits that may help.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  21. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

DropMyRights seems for administrators to act like a non-administrator, a limited user. Not good for me, I don't like to be a limited user, a eunuch user. I like to be the captain on my computer, not some underling with the rights of a slave. This is too humiliating to me.
    Threats have no rights and that's what DW does, give them no rights and SB puts them in a sandbox, a jail like criminals, where they belong. I'm not the one that needs to be handcuffed.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  22. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

I've tried GesWall twice, on two different computers, and both times browsing speed was noticeably reduced. Not sure if it was just my setup, but I had to uninstall it.

23. Someone

Someone Registered Member

lol... that's not really possible

24. bellgamin

Intensely interesting! Taught me a lot. Thanks.

25. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

You could replace them both with 1 application: Rising AV

Obvious: year of birth, I changed from Kees17 (my number with Rugby in our golden oldies team) to Kees1958, because I like one User-ID on different applications/mail/forums and 17 was to often occupied. I am also Password lazy (except for online banking): it follows an alogorithme familliar to old fart programmers (hex, add hex value of license plate of my Ducati, bin shift, dec) on a part of the logical of the forum. Must be easy to guess now :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.