Browsing speed

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Zyrtec, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hello,

I'm currently running ESET NOD32 4.0.437 with latest definitions on one of my PCs at home and the OS is Windows Vista Business SP-2.
    The only security application on that PC besides NOD32 is Online Armor firewall 3.5.0.32 [paid version] with Web Shield DISABLED.

I've notice a severe decrease in my browsing speed with NOD32 running. It shouldn't be like this since I'm on broadband [Comcast cable and a router/hardware FW] but all web pages I try to load using IE8 render very slowly. In fact it's slow to a crawl.

I'm curious, is it just me [ I mean, my setup] or is anyone else experiencing this problem? How can I fix it?
    I know NOD32 4.0 scans web pages in real-time but I wouldn't want to sacrifice browsing speed for security when I know there are other products out there that don't affect your surfing speed.

Regards,

Carlos

2. SKA

SKA Registered Member

Zyrtec> when I know there are other products out there that don't affect your surfing speed.<

SKA> Which products are you talking of - pls let me know as I'd like to try them out(using NOD32 v3 now on Win XP-SP3)

SKA

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

When did the problem occur? After adding additional software? There may be a conflict between programs.

4. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi,

Well, I had another AV [Avira Premium 9.0.0.442, by the way] running alongside OA 3.5.0.32 and everyting was well but I decided to transfer that license to another PC and install NOD32 4.0.437 on this PC since I also own a valid license of NOD32 v.4.

My headaches regarding my browsing speed started afterwards. At the beginning I didn't give too much importance to this but somehow it has affected all the web sites I visit whether they have Flash or not.

This site [Wilders] for example, takes about 55 sec. to load completely on this PC.

By the way, I had uninstalled Antivir premium using the Registry clean up tool they offer and eliminating all traces on Windows registry as well as on C:/ and finishing cleaning with CCleaner and a paid registry cleaner.

Therefore, the only change I've made is the installation of NOD32 v.4 which, by the way, was installed using the default recommended settings.

What about you? Aren't you experiencing slow browsing speed with NOD32 v.4? If so, how did you fix it?

Regards,

Carlos

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  5. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Zyrtec,

Have you done a speedtest to test your broadband speed? http://www.speedtest.net/
    Just curious about how much your download-upload speed has been affected. What about when you turn off Nod32, does the speed pick back up?

6. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hello,

Thanks for your replies. After trial & error [e.g.: uninstalling software/reinstalling software] I came across with the solution of my browsing problems. It was Online Armor firewall v. 3.5 the culprit.

Somehow it affected my browsing speed to a crawl.
    I uninstalled it and for the time being, I'm using the Windows Firewall included on Windows Vista and I haven't seen any slowdowns so far.

I'll let Mike Nash [OA developer] know about this problem either via PM or in the forums so he can address it.

Thanks again for all your help.

Carlos

P.S.: I guess since I found out the cause of this problem and it wasn't NOD32 but OA which I uninstalled and will contact Mike about it this thread can now be locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.