Browsing speed-tablets versus netbooks

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by roark37, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

Hi, I have some pretty basic questions regarding web browsing speed and am looking to better understand the factors and get some advice. I am considering buying a new small laptop, a netbook really, but although it has 11.6 screen it comes with 4gig ram and runs Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit and has a dual core amd 1.0 ghz processor. My main purpose for getting this will be web surfing primarily from recliner or couch and instead of a tablet. Would those specs likely be good enough to give fast web browsing? I ask because I got an ipad2 last December and although I liked many things about it I ended up returning largely because I got frustrated by its browsing speed. It was okay and not super slow but it was not nearly as fast as my 6 year old Toshiba laptop running XP and has only 512k ram. For most browsing the speeds were close but the slight edge to the old Toshiba and for some things like youtube video the Toshiba was much better. This really surprised me as I expected ipad2 to be faster and it was on the same home wireless network and I used the ipad2 roughly 6 feet from where the laptop is used so it should have been pretty fair. Do you think I would have the same issue with the netbook I described above? I am guessing I would not and would think the new netbook with 4gig ram would be much faster in every way including browsing than my old Toshiba. Since I returned the ipad2 I have been in the Apple store a couple of times and I always start by browsing on the ipad first and going to "slow" sites like boston.com & nytimes.com and though not terrible aren't usually very fast either. Then I try the same thing on Macbook Air and Imac and those same sites on the same store network are blazing fast, much, much faster than ipad even for surfing. So I don't think I am imagining things but does that make sense and do any of you that have tablets or used them seen the same thing? Now I have only used the ipad but I assume it would not matter if it were say Samsung Galaxy Tab or some other Android tablet but is that not necessarily true? Are some of those considered faster for web browsing than ipad? Thanks.

roark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.