browserprotect.exe

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by xxJackxx, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I was just checking running processes in ESET Smart Security and browserprotect.exe is listed and shown as risky. There is an entry in my uninstall programs list. I have no idea how it got there. Searching hasn't brought me much information. I have seen a Firefox add-on by that name but I would not expect it to show as an installed Windows program if it were a browser add-on. Unless someone can give me a compelling reason to leave it I am removing it, but I would still like to know where it came from. :mad:

2. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

3. xxJackxx

I saw that but I can't find any interface for this process so unless I am missing something, I will have to say no, it does not look like that. There is a folder for BrowserProtect in my start menu but the only thing in it is an uninstall shortcut. I ran a scan with MBAM and it found nothing.

4. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Ive just looked on the add on page for this and it appears malicious software is bundling variants of this add on containing adware.
    Perhaps somebody submitted this to ESET and thats why it is being detected.Although judging from the comments its not that good anyway.

5. xxJackxx

It looks like this junk came with the Shark007 codec package. This is not the first time that thing has installed something when explicitly told not to. I would donate to him if he didn't do this stuff, but at this point I think I will seek suggestions for an alternative replacement.

--Points to ESET for finding it. I just switched back a couple of days ago and they have already earned their money.

6. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

In Properties > Details, there are some useful info about that file? (Name, Version, File description, etc.)

7. xxJackxx

I uninstalled it once I figured out where it came from. Multiple scans with different products find nothing, so I hope that was the end of it. Thanks to all that replied.

8. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

If you install the addon from Firefox's addon site, it's not malicious. Pretty useless too with a HIPS or Sandboxie, but not malicious. Some people were skeptical because they couldn't find any info about the dev. too.

9. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Browser Protect is an anti-hijacking software. It prevents trojans and malware from changing your browser homepage and affecting your browser settings. Its available as a Firefox add on and it also comes as Windows software to protect Internet Explorer and Google Chrome against browser hijacks. You can remove the FF add-on if you wish but it doesn't use much cpu resources to protect your browser against malicious hijacks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.