BrowserHijackBlaster didn't work!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by TheKid, Nov 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid

TheKid Registered Member

After installing this program yesterday on an XP Pro machine,I was liking it...until this morning when it alerted me of the fact that my homepage,and search settings were being changed.While hovering my pointer/cursor over the programs GUI in order to make my selection to retain my settings,the pointer/cursor was just flickering incessantly.Iwas able to click on my selection(s),but it did not retain/restore my settings.My homepage was changed to my Comcast high-speed account page.(And you can bet your ass I'll be "speaking" with them tomorrow!)

Any ideas why this would occur,javacool?

Thanx for any feedback you may have/give.

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

What version of Windows are you running? The flickering sounds like a bug (and one that should be fixed, with any luck, when Browser Hijack Blaster 2 comes around). I'm not sure why the item was not changed back successfully, however...

Regards,

-Javacool

3. snowy

snowy Guest

The Kid

just two months ago I got rid of Comcast......so as not to "flame" here at the forum..I wont go into details of why.

first off......consider setting your homepage to "about blank".........an forget ever going to comcast..period!

1) use any other e mail other than comcast > my computer security totally prevent me from accessing the comcase e mail......even there own technians who came to my home were unable to do so........sent them outside...re-set my security just long enough to login one time only...then re-set my security back

2) Comcast will advise you that a proxy can not be used.....(yeah right...LOL ) wanna bet one can.......LOL.........only no e mail.....plus their site does not "all" load........hmmmmmmmm I wonder why LOL (connection is NOT lost when using a proxy)

on their homepage ...middle right side somewhere....disable strorage of media files..etc.. is a good idea

the short and sweet of it.......is never for a moment take your eyes off of comcast............as stated I don't flame....so keeping this simple and truthful .

the comcast tech staff may ask you to dis-able your firewall DO NOT!!!!
    snowman

by the ways.....complaining is a useless waste of time unless a person has a staff of attorneys.....

4. snowy

snowy Guest

JAVACOOL

hey friend......doing well I hope

comcast uses macromedia extrensively and activeX....if thats of an useful info........

snowy

5. javacool

It is very useful - I am wondering if this change was caused by an ActiveX control.

-Javacool

6. snowy

snowy Guest

JAVACOOL

there is an old thread I began here at the forum a couple of months ago devoted to comcast......

comcast would have there customers believe that they must use activeX and machromedia.......an that is absolutely un-true!!!

snowy

7. TheKid

TheKid Registered Member

I'm running ME/XP Pro dual-boot...was in/only installed BHB in XP partition.Homepage was "successfully" changed to/by Comcast.BHB also told me my search default was being changed,but I could really careless about that right now,as I'm using CrazyBrowser and their search function offers many choices anyway,even though I only use Google.It seems awfully strange that within a day of setting up BHB,it gets tested.I've been with Comcast for about 2 months with basically no line of defense against this kind of crap since or before...and never had a problem.

Let me know if you need any more info...thanx for your time and feedback.By the way,I like SpywareBlaster. :)

And snowy,after burying dial-up for good,Comcast cable modem was the only choice I had.I would never use them for my homepage,and I don't use their e-mail.The only thing I'm going to use them for is some online file storage! o_O

8. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

would locking your ie browser homepage help any? i'm not sure as it's sort out of my league:

Please make a backup before you do anything. That way if anything goes wrong you just double click on your backup registry to fix it.

Click 'Start'
    Select 'Run'
    In the box that pops up type regedit
    In the toolbar at the top of the registry editor, Click on 'Registry'
    'Export Registry'
    Next to "Save in", select 'Desktop'
    Next to where it says "File name", type backup
    Where it says "Export range", check "All'
    Click 'Save'.

Navigate to:
    Click the + to the left of HKEY_USERS
    Click the + to the left of .DEFAULT
    Click the + to the left of Software
    Click the + to the left of Policies
    Click the + to the left of Microsoft
    Click the + to the left of Internet Explorer

Right-click on the Internet Explorer key and a small menu pops up, choose new>Key, name it Control Panel.
    This will create a folder named Control Panel

Right-click on the Control Panel folder, chose new>DWORD value, name it Homepage.

Look in the window on the right and you will see Homepage,
    Right-click on Homepage, choose modify and type in the number 1.

ALL CREDIT NEEDS TO BE GIVEN TO MELANIE

--------------------
    Melanie

9. TheKid

TheKid Registered Member

I'll certainly give it a shot.I would still like to get things worked out with BHB/javacool.

Thanx

10. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

may be overkill, but i'm using BHB also.

11. snowy

snowy Guest

The Kid

that online storage...is macromedia enabled.....just so you are awear of this........

snowman

12. TheKid

TheKid Registered Member

Well,it did it again,same symptoms.I could not restore the settings.It would only let me keep the changes after a few click attempts.It also cleared my autocomplete entries for a couple sites/forums I visit,and my Google entries.

In Internet Options,this is the URL that was placed as my new homepage;

???‰o_Oo_Oo_O?

I'm going to uninstall it,unfortunately,and see if StartPageGuard detects any changes in the next day or so.

I would like to use your program(s) javacool,for the simple fact that you are so accessible! ;)

Thanx,and I will continue to monitor this thread. :D

13. TheKid

TheKid Registered Member

BHB did leave a straggling reg entry,at least according to jv16 power tools.Just thought you might like to know.

Thanx again :)

14. javacool

What you are seeing is an issue with the encryption BHB uses. A very small percentage of users see this issue.

It will be fixed in the next version. :)

-Javacool

15. TheKid

TheKid Registered Member

OK,thanx javacool.I'll keep my eyes open for that.

'preciate your time ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.