Browser Questions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by whitedragon551, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I currently use FF with ABP and a few other add-ons that make it look like Google.

I really like the Google Chrome interface, but cant trust Googles EULA since they have had nothing but issues since day one of Chrome. I like that Chrome is much snappier at loading web pages over FF.

Are Googles add-ons available in other Chrome based browsers? I know that in a browser shoot-out with stock browsers and no addons that Chrome is faster than FF. How are Chrome/Chrome based browsers compared to FF both with add-ons in terms of speed, reliability, etc.

I will be using Sandboxie to force the browser in Sandbox mode. I just need help figuring out which one Id like to use.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the extensions work with the chromium daily builds
    I do like the fact you can install and uninstall extensions without having to close it.

3. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Chrome Addons work perfectly fine w/ SRWare Iron, Chromium etc.

4. whitedragon551

Well I guess that clears up my notion about the add-ons. Which Chrome based browser seems to be updated the most? I dont want some out of date browser. Id like to keep up to date so the add-ons, vulnerabilities, etc are working and plugged.

5. doktornotor

Obviously hard to beat Chromium daily builds wrt updates frequency. :p However, might not be the most stable stuff occasionally.

6. whitedragon551

Any others that are slightly less frequent, but more stable?

I also forgot to ask in my OP. Is it possible to get rid of the Google home page thing where it shows the top 9 sites you visit? Or is there a way to lock it sort of like a bookmark type of top 9 that I choose instead of the top 9 that they keep stats for that I have visited?

7. doktornotor

The daily builds are completely untested, if it compiles, it's added to the downloads page. And yeah, you can make the new tab page completely empty if you want.

8. whitedragon551

I dont want Chromium then. I want something thats updated frequently, but is reliable and dependable. If that means an update every week or every other week Im fine by that.

9. whitedragon551

SRWare Iron has been installed. Im looking for an ABP replacement for it as well XMarks and how to disable the recently closed tabs history in the bottom.

10. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

If you want frequent updates, Srware Iron is not it lol.

For your other needs...

there's no real ABP similar extension for Chrome yet. There are adblock type extensions but they don't actually block ads, they hide them.

Chrome has built in bookmark syncing via Google account.

If you don't want history to be saved, you could run Chrome in "Incognito mode" by default by adding the following to the chrome shortcut

Code:
    --incognito

11. whitedragon551

Frequent, but stable and reliable. What other options are available besides Chromium, Iron, Comodo Dragon, and ChromePlus?

Heres a screenshot of what I want to remove:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  12. doktornotor

Yeah, so click the arrow down button and remove it. :D

13. whitedragon551

Im trying out ChromePlus right now.

Doktornotor any ideas on running ChromePlus in sandboxie? Im afraid if I hit cancel it wont properly be sandboxed within Sandboxie.

Attached Files:

14. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

For cleaning Iron, look here - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=268615

15. doktornotor

There are settings available for Chrome/SRWare Iron wrt bookmarks/cookies/history/profile access under Applications - Web Browser - Google Chrome. If those don't work w/ ChromePlus, you can still use those as template for it since paths will be generally the same. See %ProgramFiles%\Sandboxie\Templates.ini and you'll see what I mean. Or ask tzuk @ Sandboxie forums to implement a predefined one for ChromePlus as well, I'm sure he'd be very responsive.

16. whitedragon551

I got it, but that message comes up after every restart. I noticed that the predefined configuration for Chrome corresponds to chrome.exe and ChromePlus has named their file chrome.exe as well. I believe the related issue that I posted the screenshot to is something that is within ChromePlus because I installed it in another location aside from the default.

17. doktornotor

Well yes, your SBIE configuration is apparently incorrect for your browser.

18. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Not to hijack your thread, but quick question. I wanted to install Adblock on ChromePlus. But when I did, I got some sort of warning about it being able to see the sites I go on. (I don't recall exact statement).

So quick question is, by installing this extension, am I pretty much back into the same Google privacy issues that I'm trying to avoid by using ChromePlus? If so, which ad blocking extension can I use that will retain privacy?

Thanks.

19. whitedragon551

You dont need ABP in ChromePlus. Go to the ChromePlus Options page, then to Adblock Options on the left and select your ABP list there, click subscribe and save and close ChromePlus and your set.

20. Trooper

Thanks very much! Appreciate that.

Have you found any tweaks for speed for ChromePlus? Im trying to compare it with Firefox and I feel that FF paints the pages faster than ChromePlus. What has your experience(s) been with it so far? Thanks.

21. whitedragon551

Stock browser vs Stock browser ChromePlus hands down. I havent gotten into customizing it yet as I have yet to get it working in Sandboxie properly. Once I can get that squared away Ill be testing more.

22. Trooper

Gotcha. I should have tried running it in Sandboxie as well, smart move. If I find anything useful I will pass it along here. Thanks for your help.

23. Trooper

Just curious how you are making out with ChromePlus whitedragon551? I still think FF is running faster on my system. Could be my av possibly causing a bit of a drag on it, not sure. I may try Chromium for the heck of it. I would try Iron but due to lack of updates, not touching it.

24. whitedragon551

I havent used it since I installed it. Tzuk is looking into my issue at Sandboxie. ChromePlus requires admin rights if its not installed in the default directory which my install isnt.

With Sandboxie and drop my rights enabled ChromePlus with give the Path Access error Im getting.

25. Trooper

OK that is fine. Just curious what your findings were. Hope you get the Sandboxie issue figured out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.