Browser of Choice Poll

Discussion in 'polls' started by Jimbob1989, Dec 28, 2004.

?

Browser of choice

1. Internet Explorer

34 vote(s)
    16.1%
  2. Mozilla FireFox

115 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. Opera

48 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. Netscape

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  5. Other

12 vote(s)
    5.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derway

derway Registered Member

Hi Don!

:)

Actually, I'd prefer a browser that did not support active-x! I'm perfectly happy with firefox, but might give opera a try, at some point.

Thanks! No really, I mean it.

2. Le Kibitzer

Le Kibitzer Registered Member

Firefox on my pc's

Safari on my mac's

3. LedZep

LedZep Registered Member

definately opera at no1

Firefox is good, but terrible at the multiple tabs thing.... just watch it memory usage grow and grow. Afcourse I do recommend it to all the users of infected PC's that I clean up (as its free)

IE - avoiding it as best I can, but when using someone elses pc... usually dont have a choice

just my 2 cents

4. Uffbros

Uffbros Registered Member

I run 6 multiple tabs at same time and never a problemo_O?? Firefox is the best I've ever used..Opera is 2 confusing for the little guy.

5. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I use Firefox as my primary webbrowser, and I have the latest version of K-Meleon installed just for testing, I never liked Opera, v8.x looks good, they finally fixed up the interface, but I see no need in paying for software that I can already get/already have, and I refuse to use something with ads in it. - I do see the problem with the multiple tabs in firefox, but its not too big of a problem, I wouldn't say 6 is enough to do it, maybe 12-15 tabs at a time, then yes, it will move up, quite quickly, it has even crashed on me, but I really have no need to have more than 8-10 tabs at a time anyways, and I'm sure with the next FF release it'll be fixed.

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Well, I select my software on the following criteria:

1 Look and feel (GUI)
    2 Features
    3 Ease of use
    4 Resource usage

And Maxthon blows Opera and Mozilla away when it comes to this IMO. ;)

7. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

At present I'm using Opera 8.02 as my primary browser and as for the
    look and feel, I love working with it. Enough features for me and really easy to use. Resource is no problem at all. :)
    Opera is also one of the most secure browsers according to Secunia.

Tried the latest Maxthon once and all it did was crash on my system. :doubt:
    I really liked MyIE2, my first browser. :cool:

My secondary browser is Firefox, but I only use that one when Opera doesn't allow me to download.

As always use what you like best and works well on your system. ;)

8. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Mozilla Suite should have been added to this list. Mozilla Suite comes with a web browser, e-mail client, and composer. I use it from time to time to create and test web sites. It's a decent all-around package.

9. akshay_k72

akshay_k72 Registered Member

Opera 8.02? When was it released and where can I download it from? I checked Opera's site and only 8.01 is available for download.

Cheers

Akshay.

10. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Hi Akshay,
    I'm subscribed to FileForum BetaNews and that's why I knew about the release of this new version. :cool:

It was also announced here, see this topic of Opera Without Java 8.02 Final in Update alerts: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=90737

You can download it through there. ;)

11. akshay_k72

akshay_k72 Registered Member

Hi Eldar,

Thanks for the links and the info.

Cheers

Akshay. :D

12. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

@ Eldar

I agree, it all comes down to what´s important to a specific computer user. In my case: Resource usage becomes an issue on my slow machines. And all my anti malware tools seem to do a great job, so security was never an issue for me. ;)

And I don´t know why some people are having problems with Maxthon, I have installed a lot of different versions on numerous machines (with different Operating Systems), and I never had a single problem. Maybe you should disable IE plugin support. Opera is my secondary browser btw. :)

13. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

My pleasure Akshay. ;)
    I don't know either why it won't run stable on my system.
    I didn't know about the IE plugin. Something to try next time, so thanks for the tip.
    I'm sure Maxthon is a good browser from what I've seen during my trial.
    Software can run on thousands machines without a problem, but can also run badly on some. :doubt:
    Anyhow it was a trial to see what had changed, so easily removed with TU3. ;)

14. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

And don't forget the many extensions of Firefox (adblock, noscript, ...), some of them are really good and I never heard any complaints of these extensions.
    I recently downloaded the weather extension for weather info.
    After using so many weather softwares, including the ones with adware/spyware, I was very satisfied with the weather extension of Firefox.
    It gives me just what I really need and nothing more.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  15. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:) I was seriously thinking about switching to Firefox, an would have done so had I been able to find an "EASY" to install spell checker. I have not been able to locate such a thing, the one indicated for Firefox is not easy to install. If any one knows of an easily installed spell checker that will run in Firefox, please post such information here.

Thanks
    Wildman
    o_O :eek:

16. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Have a look at SpellBound Wildman. ;)

17. wildman

:D That's the one I found, however it is not easy to install, or at least I did not find it easy to do so. If you have instructions o.k., other than that, I'll skip this one thank you anyway.

Thanks
    Wildman

18. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Sorry, couldn't have known. :oops:
    It's quite easy to install you know.
    First go to SpellBound Installation page and install, afterwards go to one of the pages mentioned
    there to install the dictionary of your choice. See for example Mozilla dictionaries.

Close FireFox and restart.

When you've finished or you want to check your post just rightclick to choose 'Check Spelling'. :cool:

I hope that helps you getting started. ;)

Attached Files:

19. Mantis

Mantis Guest

I have just started using Firefox - while I like it, I have had to un-install 3 times already for updates - I find this part of the routine troubling.

I also, cannot get the spell check function listed above to work. :mad:

Since I am so new to this -- it is possible that I have missed something along the way -- but, I have tried to faithfully follow instructions and still cannot get spell check to work? o_O

20. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Hi Mantis,
    I didn't have any problems installing that extension, but maybe you forgot a step.

Here's how I did it.
    [​IMG]

The spell check option will only work when posting a post, not to check the spelling on pages.
    The same applies to Opera with the Aspell dictionaries. :)

I hope that helps. ;)

21. wildman

:) Thats what I experienced apparently. Thanks but that is just not good enough for me. I will stick with IE, perhaps after the apparent new 7.0 has been out for a while, I may switch to it. I am an atrocious speller an can not do with out a good spell checker. Again thanks for the effort.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :eek: :p

22. Mantis

Mantis Guest

:)
    Many thanks to you Eldar for your informative response and images as well as instructions.

I am still using Win98SE, I am not sure if this may be a problem or not? o_O

But, even when I allow downloads etc. -- the English dic - will not download -- I get an "error" message whenever I try -- it may or may not have something to do with the fact that I do not use the 'Thunderbird' email program -- I do not like it -- so, on the rare times when I send an email -- I use Outlook Express -- I like my animated icons and stationary!

At any rate, I just have not been able to get the spell checker to work -- and I did know that it would only work in cases such as this -- when I am posting or sending email etc. -- as you may see if I keep using Firefox -- English is not my first language -- and I am not too good at it!:oops:

But, too many years and too many brused knuckles from the nuns rulers -- I no longer know how to speak my native tongue either -- no-a-days there are no more native speakers in my language anyway -- so, I dearly need a spell checker so that I do not look overly stupid! :)

Vanity is not a hat I wear well -- but, what can I say?

Thanks for your outstanding effort though!
    Manny

23. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Maybe I should have worded it better.
    I can check the spelling when composing a post.
    Sorry it doesn't work out. :doubt:
    My pleasure Manny. ;)
    I'm not sure why it won't work on Win98SE, never tried it.
    What error message are you getting? It could perhaps help to find the cause why you're not able to download that dictionary.
    Maybe you could look it up or ask at the MozillaZine Forums or perhaps others are experiencing the same.

BTW I don't use Thunderbird either and I also like the animated icons and templates in my email client. :cool:

Same as you English isn't my first language so I completely understand.

Hope you'll find the reason as to why it won't work, so you can enjoy Firefox even more.

Glad to be of some help. ;)

24. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Currently considering Firefox - have done for quite sometime but each time I download
    and think I have made my mind up to try it I read all the posts about rendering issues
    with sites and pictures etc o_O I also read about memory leaks if you leave the broswer running plus it can be slow :(

Do most run Firefox due to security reasons or is it a much better browser over all
    not just because it is secure? I use Avant which is a shell for IE but I do love the tabs
    and groups offered in Avant.
    Admittedly I am using an old version as I do not need any of the add-ons
    they have continually updated.

I have FF downloaded with the intentions to try this weekend but the speed and site issues
    worry me. I know I will only know for sure if I install plus I am not that impressed with any reviews I have read about the new IE7 which I had hoped would have been nicer that IE6.

So many FF downloads and users even though it seems to be difficult to set up o_O
    I really hope soon I will find the confidence to give it a try and wonder why I didn't before :rolleyes:

25. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

I've been using Mozilla browsers for over a year, and in that time I've only found two or three problematic websites. Last month the BBC ran an article saying that 10% of approximately 100 UK-based websites didn't work well with Firefox; I find that figure surprisingly high. More information here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.