Browser leaking?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Unregd, Aug 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unregd

Unregd Guest

How do I find out if my browser is leaking my computer name and if so can hackers use that to identify me. Can I stop it?
    Thanks

2. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

ShieldsUp can tell you what your browser header is leaking.

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Sites like BrowserSpy or Leader.ru can provide more detailed information. Much can be blocked (or faked) using a webfilter (Proxomitron is the most powerful but the hardest to use). Your IP address can be disguised using a proxy server.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

A router will fix that.

5. Paranoid2000

No it won't. At best a router will implement Network Address Translation where it gives your PCs private IP addresses (in the 192.168.x.x range normally) while it receives a public IP address from your ISP.

This allows you to share an Internet connection and has the security benefit of all traffic going to the router first, but it does not provide any privacy protection.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I stand corrected. I thought the address it showed to the internet was generic and not your true address.

7. Unregd

Unregd Guest

Thanls for the links. according to the Leader ru and also an anonymiser.com check my computer name is not available. Thanks to all other respondents too
    Regards
    Unregd

8. Unregd

Unregd Guest

Hi #
    Does anyone know if the Proxomitron is still being supported? Last time I checked it wasn't
    Thanks

9. Paranoid2000

Proxomitron's author, Scott Lemmon, sadly passed away in May 2004 so there will not be any updates to the program itself - however new filters and filtersets are being supported and developed. Information on these can be found at CastleCops, Flaaten.dk (which is titled the "official" Proxomitorn forum) and Kye-U's Unofficial Proxomitron Forum.

10. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

Paranoid sounds like a 'good man', i have heard about this program and decided to use it and i must say i like it very much;)

Stopped using it at the moment due to conflicts with other software, but i do recommend it to other users.

T

11. G-Force

G-Force Guest

P2K IS the man Tom!

GF :D

12. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

What conflicts?

Remember, if you need any help with Proxomitron, you have lots of places and people to ask for help ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.