Browser Fingerprinting Solution Proposal

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by BardCoder, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BardCoder

BardCoder Registered Member

For the sake of online anonymity, I propose re-coding an open-source browser (such as Firefox) to do one of the following:
    • Send completely random fingerprint information
    • Send the same information for everybody that uses the modified browser

I doubt that a Web site truly needs any fingerprint information to properly render itself, as a browser's job is merely to render the HTML in a client window. In any case, privately browsing users should expect a certain amount of rendering problems, such as errant (or actual) detection of missing plugins and fonts.

Some of the Web UI designs that are really a pain to use (such as pagination and hard-coded resolutions) would be discouraged if the majority of browsers send back unreliable information (albeit only in this "needed for proper rendering" category).

As to why I would like to be able to browse and search anonymously (and with no unified tracking): I like to search for things, that I think up, to see if they have already been invented or made into a product or service. My original ideas could be absorbed into a database somewhere, and I could be banned from using it myself because it is "owned" by the service that captured the data. The idea that led me to start this thread is one of them.

(resuming this this closed thread)

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi & welcome to Wilders ;)

If that could work, then Yes :thumb:

That might not work with add on signatures & the updating etc of them :(

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

the previously closed thread covered most of it (useful and not so useful aspects).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.