Browser being re-directed

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Decapad, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Decapad

Decapad Registered Member

Hi - My browsers are being re-directed when I click on links on Google for example. I can't seem to find any new "unwanted" programs in my startup or program list pages. My scans from Anti-virus & ad-aware show nothing. This has caused some Windows error messages - like services stopped & I can't do windows updates - error 80072EFE shows up when I try. I'm getting to the point it may be faster to reformat - unless there is maybe 1 or 2 more things I should try. Hope you can help! Thank you :)

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Check both your hosts file entries (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc) and your DNS IPs, either in your router or network properties. Make sure that either no IPs are set (they are dynamically attributed by your ISP) or that the DNS IPs belong to your ISP.

See what kind of entries have you got in your hosts file, specially entries with IP addresses like 012.345.678.901 (This IP was made up by me as an example.).

If you're in doubt, you can just edit the hosts file with Notepad, and delete everything, and only leave these two entries:

::1 localhost
    127.0.0.1 localhost

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

you can try a scan with Hitman pro, dr.web cureit and MBAM. Run gmer as well. May be a rootkit I guess.

4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

TDSSKiller is another tool worth a run if a suspected rootkit may be around.

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.