Broken EPBR chaining?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by cws, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cws

cws Registered Member

This is little lengthy...
    I have been using disk director to snoop my disk and in specific to take a closer look at the partition records. I have the following setup (can provide further specific details of the partition records if anyone is interested):

Three (3) Primary partitions:[/B ]
    Windows XP NTFS (C: )
    Windows XP FAT32 (D: )
    Linux Ext3 (/)

One (1) Extended partition record:
    This is the start of an EPBR chain that "should" locate a total of three (3) extended partittions.

The three primary partition start/end sectors are identified correctly :thumb: .

The extended partition pointer in the MBR points to a valid EPBR and this first EPBR contains a valid pointer to an extended partition and a valid pointer to the next EPBR in the chain :thumb: .

Okay... So now we're at the second EPBR and it contains a valid pointer to an extended partition but the the EPBR pointer points to a sector which is contained within an extended partition :'( . Now the chain is broken and the remaining two extended partitions should be considered lost... right?

Well it seems that the EPBR chaining really does not matter because Disk Director is locating the remaining partitions by analyzing the EPBR that is located in the first sector following each valid partition found :D . At least that is what I think Disk Director is doing.

So what's my issue? I used Disk Director to partition this disk and based on common practice the EPBR chaining should be intact/valid. Can anyone provide some insight into why the EPBR chain created by Disk Director might be broken? Any insight that could be provided would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2006
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.