BroadBand Diallers What are they

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by AnthonyG, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Hi,

I have AOL broadband and everywhere i have read says i am safe from diallers, And that relieved me no end (as i once had pay £300 when i was on a dialup connection due to a damn international calling dialler infecting my system, which called Sao Thom all the time). So like i say i thought i was safe. I thought this because that is what everyone has told me (inlcuding PC world and more importantly AOL) but while browsing the interent yesterday i came accross this scummy web site selling Diallers and when i looked at their rates i was dumbfounded when i saw there are specific diallers for Broadband computers (see attached image)

What on earth is this, i thought i was safe once and for all from these bastards. but now i see this.

Please can some computer experts explain this as i am starting to worry about getting my phone bill.

One final thing is i have premium and international call barring will this stop these newly created broadband diallers.

Thanks, I anxiously wait your reply

Attached Files:

• 55.jpg
      55.jpg
      File size:
      30.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Dunno*23

Dunno*23 Guest

The jury is still out on this one,I believe.

Personally,I have a BB connection via NAT router.On the router manufacturers website,it states in no uncertain terms that a malicious programme CAN dial a premium rate number.

It's an ADSL connection,yet still employs POTS-plain old telephone service.This might be where the distinction lies.Were it a full digitalised connection,it may be immune.

The experts are going to have to thrash this one out.

3. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Good question.

I guess if the dialer could make your ADSL modem dial out a regular phone number then it would work.
    But if it is a cable modem, it can't make an outgoing regular telephone call.
    Unless you use VoIP like net2phone, but you would already have to be signed up for that service. I don't see how the bad guys profit from a VoIP long distance call.
    The website might be just advertising long distance rates for VoIP services.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Anthony,

When you say AOL Broadband....does this mean your using a phone line or a cable TV type line ?

5. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Its Aol Broadband 1mb DSL i have and external modem which i plug my computer to, i then plug in some phone jack filters into my modem and then plug the other end of the filter into my normal in the wall phone socket.

I was told it doesnt dial a normal number at all it goes to a network or something so i was safe from diallers, and all what i have read supports what i have been told, but now i see someone selling broadband specific diallers and i am getting very perplexed (as i have never! in four months of searchig the internet for information on them came accross such a concept) and im getting very anxious too as i just want to be safe from these evil things. As these are honestly my number one worry on the internet. Nothing in my opinion comes close to these things, as viruses worst case scenario just wipe your hard drive clean, these things ALWAYS wipe your bank account clean.

I literally hate them and i want to be safe from them and everyone told me to sign up to broadband and that is all i need to do to stop them.

Are they wrong, and if so how do i secure my broadband connection (i do use trojan hunter and Spywareblaster)

Thanks, any help you can give will be extremmely appreciated

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The only broadband dialers I know about are: 1. ISDN lines that can dial digital phone numbers (ie. make variable remote connections), and 2. services where when using a broadband connection you need to authenticate your identity by dialing your telephone into an automated system, entering a unique code, (given to you on a premium site), which ties your telephone number into your current web session. I have to believe that the broadband column in that image above relates to one or the other of these.

As for being vulnerable to premium rate dialers when running on a broadband connection, assuming you have REMOVED the analog telephone line (POTS) from your still available dialup modem, these threads still apply:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=8843

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=32217

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.