broadband connection 512k or 1mb

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by the mul, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the mul

the mul Registered Member

I am going to be getting broadband in my home town in the next few weeks, but cant decide on whether to go for 512k speed or for 1mb connection speed, the price difference between the 2 is only £5 more for the 1mb service.
    I would like to know what you u think and should I just go for the 1mb connection as the price difference is minimal, but would the 512k connection be enough for my needs.

Many thanks for any help.

The MUL :)

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

1mb. No doubt.

3. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Faster is definitely nicer. It will make Agent Smith smile - especially if he is planning on doing a significant amount of P2P or online gaming. But if the £5 is at all a concern, 512k will still be a pleasant change from dial-up.

Good luck!

4. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

For the last six years, I have been supporting about thirty people sharing a T1 (1.5 mb) connection. Believe it or not, it works great. No complaints from the users. We just upgraded to two T1's, and we barely notice a difference.

At home, I have a T1 right to my PC. It really is not much faster than what I have at work. But the big advantage is that it is synchronous, as opposed to asynchronous as with almost all DSL and cable modem service. With asynchronous, your upload speed is slower than your download speed. But only 10% of your home network traffic is going up.

I guess the real question is, what do you plan on doing with all of that bandwidth?

Close Hauled

5. Close_Hauled

How much is £5 in US dollars?

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

One word of caution, once you have the speed, you can never go back! :D

7. Close_Hauled

Amen, my brother! Amen.

8. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

word.

9. the mul

Thanks for all your help and £5 is about $7 -$8 not really a lot and the money difference that I mentioned is not a problem, just wondering if the extra speed would be better and as far as I can see it is by your replys.
    I do not intend to use it for p2p as many of my friends have been caught out with many infections and I really dont want to go there as my system has remained clean for many a year.
    Once my home town exchange is upgraded in the next few weeks, I think I will be upgrading my package to 1mb and I just cant wait to get rid of this veeeeeeeeeeery slow dial up connection, as u know it is very hard when trying to download big programmes, but as I said not long to go.

Thanks again.

The MUL ;)

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You will be very happy. Guaranteed.

11. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Ok Chaps...as we are on the subject....I'm on Dialup at the moment and with my OE set to check for mail every 3 minutes I very rarely get cut off by my ISP....therefore I can kind of Surf for 24hours a day, 7 days a week if I so wish for the price of £12.49 per month.....what I find confusing is this....I am now able to go onto ADSL as the village I live in has been uprated at the Phone Exchange but from what I can gather from the 'blurb' that Broadband ISPs in this area are saying, I would only be able to Surf for something like 2 hours a day for the price of between £16.00 and £20.00 a month??..........therefore other than the faster speed or whatever, I can really see no advantage......2 hours a day is no good to me, most days I spend maybe 4 to 8 hours a day on the net?......or have I got it wrong somewhere?........I realise that with Broadband you are 'On all the time' but that isn't Surfing is it? Any Comments please.

Cochise, :cool:

12. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I am on cable with a 24/7 connection for whatever I choose. There is no time I cannot surf (nor would I accept that). In your case you might need both ;)

13. the mul

Well thanks for you reply Cochise, but I have friends near my home town who have had broadband for quite a few years now and they spend about 15 hours a day online and maybe about 10 hours surfing, sometimes more.
    They are also on kazza and spend many, many hours downloading films, music etc.
    I can honestly say they have had no problems with being cut off at any time with there isp, but maybe the isp that u are talking about cut people off, but as I have said no problems here with my friends being cut off.

Hope this helps and I am also in the uk.

The MUL

14. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi guys,

Sounds strange to me Cochise that you only can surf 2 hours/day and still connected 24/7.
    Another thing Mul: Are there any download limits? Those can very from unlimited through FUP till limited to a certain amount of gigs a month. This will vary for sure on which speed you choose.

Gerard

15. Close_Hauled

My T1 costs me $45/month, and I use it strictly for online gaming. I have awesome ping times when I am connected to the servers. I can use it 24/7 as well with no limit on bytes used.

Close Hauled

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

T1 for 45/month??! That is cheap!

17. the mul

There is no limit on how much u can download with AOL, this will only apply if u take out the smaller package for example 256k connection, if u opt for the 512k sevice or 1mb service there is no limit on how much u can download, unlike some other isp companies offers.

The cost of 512k service is £25 or £30 for 1mb service
    $37 or $45 this price in dollars is as near as I can say.

The MUL

18. Close_Hauled

Yes it is! It's actually a wireless point-to-point broadband service. My antenna is aimed at my ISP's antenna. Latency is very low. It is capable of 10 meg!

http://www.trangobroadband.com/

Close Hauled

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

How does the weather affect your signal?

20. Close_Hauled

It never rains in California, so I cannot speak from experience. Here are the specs for the unit on my house.

http://www.trangobroadband.com/products/trango_subscriber.htm

That antenna is plugged directly into my ethernet port. My IP address is dynamically assigned by the antenna, but it is usually the same.

Close Hauled

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Very nice. I can't get over the price. I NEED one of those setups! :D

22. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

who is your ISP?

23. Close_Hauled

It's a small ISP in my tiny little town. A mom and pop shop, literally. The guy works during the day, and supports his users at night. The town is too small for DSL or cable, so he invested in these antennas. I paid a $200 deposit for the antenna, and he mounted to my roof. It then routed a cross connect cable from the antenna to my computer (notice no firewall, I love to live dangerously).

Close Hauled

24. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

So if I can just get my facts right here....i checked out British Telecom site and for £19.99 you get a 2MB service that only allows for 2 hours actual surfing a day per month.....now Wanadoo offer a 2 gig a month service that allows you to surf 8 hours a day?? for £17.99 a month.....to be quite honest, although I'am now able to get ADSL and I would love to get on Broadband, I find the whole concept very confusing, especially if you read up on all the complaints about Broadband ISPs.....so if there are any UK residents about here I would be very interested in your comments, criticisms and good or bad experiences that will give me some idea which Broadbandwagon to jump on. :D

With baited Breath, Cochise, :cool:

25. the mul

Please read this Cochise, and I am also living in the uk, scotland to be precise.

I have friends near my home town who have had broadband for quite a few years now and they spend about 15 hours a day online and maybe about 10 hours surfing, sometimes more.
    They are also on kazza and spend many, many hours downloading films, music etc.
    I can honestly say they have had no problems with being cut off at any time with there isp, but maybe the isp that u are talking about cut people off, but as I have said no problems here with my friends being cut off.
    I am, as well as my friends, are with aol and they have been surfing as I said many hours without being cut off, I will be upgraded to broadband with aol in about 3 weeks and they have no limit on time spent online or downloading limits either.

I HOPE THIS HELPS MY FRIEND
    The MUL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.