Bring ClearCloud Back Petition

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CogitoTesting, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Hi guys

I'm creating this thread as a petition for Alex to revise his decision to discontinue ClearCloud. I'm also proposing that Alex brings ClearCloud back with a paid lifetime license per computer, and that will provide a good income stream to GFI.

Please guys and to all ClearCloud users it is not to late to save our beloved CC and let us all voice our opinions and force (not literally though) Alex's hands ;).

If you are in favor of what I'm proposing let Alex know it by posting your agreement here.

Thanks. :thumb:

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Wouldn't this have more exposure in a poll, perhaps?

Anyway, this is what I replied to you in the other thread:

3. m0unds

m0unds Guest

wouldn't it have been better to post this thread (..poll?) in the same section as the "discontinued product" discussion about clearcloud?

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I would like for there to be an option of an annual ad free subscription similar to the opendns model. Something along the line of $5-$9.99 for an annual subscription would be fine for me.

5. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

6. CogitoTesting

Well, ClearCloud is not yet discontinued as of today's date (6th of June 2011) and the purpose of this therad is to throw it a lifeline and thus keep it alive. A petition is not actually a poll.

Thanks.

7. m0unds

m0unds Guest

how can you bring something back, if it's not already gone? ;)

semantics aside, it probably should be moved to the "other anti-malware" section, with the other clearcloud thread, regardless of whether the product is presently discontinued.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread has been moved to this forum.

9. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

If ClearCloud was available (for pay) with a reasonable one-time lifetime subscription I'd definitely consider it.

10. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i love a 'free' meal as much as the next person but lifetime subscriptions only are doomed to failure.
    eventually, the pond dries out.

from what i've seen, sometimes small startup developer will offer lifetime subscriptions when they start their business to attract customers.

after awhile, they switch to annual subscriptions or a mix of the 2, like Sandboxie.

11. CogitoTesting

Because according to Alex the decision has already been made to discontinue it; however it is not yet discontinued. What I mean by briging it back can only be understood from the perspective that Alex should reconsider his decision and relent. Thus the raison d'etre of this thread, in other words, is to prevent CC from dying. May God save the queen, oops, I mean CC. :D.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  12. CogitoTesting

Alex in some other thread stated that it is not a good idea to make CC a paid product since other companies provide the same product or service for free and he mentioned Norton DNS and openDNS.

However there is a flaw in his statement; well why did Sunbelt now GFI provide a paid antivirus while other companies provide quite good antivirii for free like Avast, AVG, Avira etc...

My point is if he decides to adopt a lifetime license with CC I'll buy it even when others provide the same product fro free. I tested CC compare to other same product line, and none could compare to CC.

I only hope that Alex heeds to our cries and eventually listen. Please listen to your customers Alex.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Sorry for being negative, but these online petitions rarely produce the intended results, especially a limited one like this.

Anyhow, I agree with the petition, but not the proposal.

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

they wont bring it back and with Norton DNS it really doesnt matter.

15. Duradel

Duradel Registered Member

Considering most other DNS services are free, needing a subscription to keep it alive isn't something alot of people would go for. However if there was a once off fee I think some people would definitely consider it as long as the project wasn't suddenly scrapped before they could get the value out of what they paid for it.

GFI could try some online advertising to raise enough revenue to cover hosting costs and maintenance fees.

16. CogitoTesting

wow maybe you know something that I do not. ;)

17. CogitoTesting

Here is your logic: Considering that there are other excellent antivirus software that are free I really do not see why someone would pay for a yearly subscription for an antivirus. Now, at least to me, that reverse logic could also apply to CC and other similar products.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  18. CogitoTesting

What? o_O.

19. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

My vote to keep ClearCloud DNS alive. I hope it GFI considers.

20. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

As I was curious to determine is there were any differences among the 3 most popular antimalware DNS services, about 6 months ago I started a fast project: once weekly for 4 weeks I culled 25 malware links from 2 of those sites that publish such links and ran them versus Comodo, Norton, and Clearcloud DNS.

Although I am well aware that in the Grand Scheme using 100 links out of the potential millions of malware links wouldn't yield statistical significance, I really didn't have time to evaluate 1 million links- I really just wanted to know any or all of the services were useless. But this little test showed really no significant difference among the three. From Sunbelt's plan to discontinue the service without even attempting to charge for it I infer that they also realize that their product is at best comparable to existing free services, and is without commercial potential as a paid service.

Finally, for any out there who can honestly say that ClearCloud have saved their system from infection by blocking malware sites I strongly suggest that they change their surfing habits.

21. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

You almost got me there, until this last part.

Change surfing habits? Care to explain? Is this one of those times I need to remember that, not so long ago, a BBC website got compromised (an ad, if I still remember), which was redirecting users to a malicious domain, hosting exploits?

For most people, something like CC/Norton DNS/etc could probably save their day.

Let's face it, most people don't know or can't handle a tweaked web browser; if this is what you mean by changing surfing habits, as well. This would make sense, yes... but, not something most would do/can do.

It still amazes me that people still believe there are safe websites. If you're one of those, then you're the one who needs to change surfing habits.

22. BenMar522

BenMar522 Registered Member

As much as I would like to see Clear Cloud come back, I doubt it will. GFI isn't going to charge people for this service as most common users won't pay for a service that works behind the scenes and is invisible to them. Thus, there is prob not a lot of money to be made. The majority of DNS users are prob "security geeks" as I am. We here at Wilders realize the true benefits of Malware blocking DNS service. Just my 2 cents.

-BenMar

23. moontan

moontan Registered Member

Right you are.
    i don't see Joe/Jave Average using DNS services much.
    Some of these DNS services can break internet connections if they are not configured properly.

24. gdiloren

gdiloren Registered Member

No, I'm against the idea of paying for ClearCloud. It was "free" before, it should be kept "free". I'm not giving "in" the Vipre's owners that only want to increase their money over a product. Other "free" products are as good and "yes" you have to change "anyway" your surfing habits. So, as for me, it's no to CC:rolleyes:

25. carat

carat Guest

I agree - you should use Norton DNS instead :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.