brilliant digital DOS nightmare

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by snowman, Apr 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowman

snowman Guest

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~nweaver/0wn2.html

the above link explains that brilliant digital's busness plan is gravely flawed.........its point of contact will allow for the possiblity of a major dos attack the kind of which the internet has never before seen.

2. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

I would expect to see havoc reign quite soon.  :(

3. snowman

snowman Guest

Checkout

Brilliant has serious financial complications....its depending on the revenues generated from its trogan to survive............an now that there is a tool to disarm/remove their trogan its possible that they would activate the program at an advanced date.......

how ironic....their own trogan may be the cause for their going bankrupt...........depending on how many people disable the program.    I don't do a lot of surfing on the internet.......but I am very tempted to install Trillian messenger an spread the word.....unfortunately my business does not allow me to have cookies on my computer....

well...time for me to shut down....wishing you and everyone a most pleasent day

4. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

And the same to you, Snowman.

The worrying aspect is just how many machines are out there, all over the world, which are prey (actual or potential) to bottom-feeding scum-suckers.  How many mothers and fathers do you know who bought themselves a family PC over the last few Christmases?  How many of them are used by teenagers who seek out MP3 files?

The biggest single problem we face is educating computer owners.  We need PC vendors to provide kit with security installed and we need the media to highlight the dangers.  Ain't happenin', folks.

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Checkout : excellent point. If people only knew all this stuff that goes on out there... I meet people everyday who have cable and haven't even heard of a "firewall"... I mean these people have an internet company install DSL or cable.. and the companies don't even suggest a security precaution or two? The masses, in this case, are severely uninformed!

6. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

I think Checkout made this point very well in another thread, and Detox, I agree 100%. It is very frightening how ill-informed the public at large really is when it comes to even the simplest things in regards to securing their computers. The example of firewalls is a perfect example. This BDI stuff is fodder for a horrible nightmare. By the way, ANCHORDESK today has as its lead the Brilliant Digital controversy complete with "answers" from BDI in Q&A form. Interesting reading.  http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2860521,00.html

John

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

That was interesting reading, but it's all BS to me... He simply points to other software companies that do things we don't like and says "they do it too!"... Indeed, those other guys do some nasty stuff, but I don't think any have hidden software that could potentially take such control over your system...

8. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

I agree with you. So does David Coursey. I think that's why ended his article, "Thanks, Kevin, I appreciate your response. I am not sure you answered all the questions--at least to my satisfaction--but I'll put this before AnchorDesk readers and let them decide what to make of Brilliant's plans." A totally BS adventure from BDI.

John

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Sometimes I have a hard time catching sarcasm when it's in print... no problem with verbal sarcasm.. but when printed it gets tough.  :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.