Brief Loss of Internet Access

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheKid7, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Starting a few weeks ago I have noticed that a problem occurs occasionally. When I close my web browser and then reopen it I cannot access the Internet. I then try to access the IP address of my Cable/DSL Router but cannot reach it. A PC restart always solves the problem.

Does anyone have any idea of what may be causing this problem? What can I do to diagnose the problem.

Windows XP Pro SP3
    IE7

Thank you.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You could try this and it may not help but it's a start. Under internet options in IE under the general tab, check to see how many days your browsing history is saved. Try setting it to 0 and see if problem remains.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

What I normally do is ping my wan gateway. I have a static wan ip, so I know my gateway by heart. If internet is not working for me, a quick ping of the gateway tells me if I can communicate with the ISP or not. If so, then not much I can do about it. If not, I will poke around on my machine to see what the problem is. Your router may contain what your gateway is. For example, if your ISP assigned you ip address 22.33.44.55, your gateway would be 22.33.44.1 normally.

Sometimes you can just disable your network adapter and then enable it again on issues such as this.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.