Breaking the will of software "mustangs..."

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by SG1, Jul 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

There a method, perhaps via RegEdit to FORCE an app upon startup, to shrink to SysTray... the same way that other 99.999% of my programs behave?

This refers to Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.5 build 2637 and, man... this app has never from day one behaved as do other apps.

It's a little thing, sure, but it'd be nice to bang this program into line. (Tried many a firewall back when first getting XP PRO, to replace the MS built-in firewall & I kinda' like Sygate: it and I just somehow stuck to one another as I tried apps out back when. You know how it is.

Thanks for any help/ideas, SG1 (Pat)

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

WSFuser;

In this case, the process smc.exe fires up, (but the f'wall icon or GUI I should say perhaps) firing up then shrinking to the SysTray did not always work; and I don't know where to get a diff. ver. as Symantec bought Sygate and then dropped the app, I think.

Thanks, SG1 (Pat)

*** Sorry - didn't see your link, at first, when I had javascript off in Firefox. Thanks!

4. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Now this solution may sound strange ,and it may not work on xp (i used 98se...still do) ,but i remember when i was using sygate 4 point something ,around 5 years ago.I didnt have dsl then but a dial up connection.Because of this i didnt want sygate to start with windows .The problem was similar to yours in that if i started sygate manually (before i connected to net),it would not start minimized to tray.It would only minimize straight to tray if it started with windows.After much messing about and trialing ,i found the only solution was to actually make a shortcut from the sms.exe ,and drag it into my windows>startmenu>startup folder then right click it ,select properties and have it to start minimized.(right clicking the orignal sms.exe and selecting start minimized did not work...only the shortcut off it)That worked for me.It also didnt seem to have any ill affects when leaving the start with windows entry too,when i did want it to start with windows.As i say ,its a little bizzare ,and may not work for you or be the right answer for you ,but it did for me in that situation.
    ellison

EDIT ..Ive also checked my downloads folder and have a version 5.6 2808 If the above doesnt work or is not sutible pm me and ill email you the file ..its 8.80 meg i believe or better still....get it here...
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_sygate_personal_firewall/

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  5. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

ellison64;

Thanks for link, offer to e-mail the one ver. Did get ver. from filehippo, that you linked to. ;-) Your workaround also sounds interesting, too; may have to try that first, and see if it also works (under XP PRO).

* We also had 98se and dial up for quite a spell; but, after going to cable modem finally... would never consider dial up again.

Even after buying Sygate firewall back then, never got a ser. # per se and if I go to ver. I downloaded, I don't suppose it matters at this point given fate of Sygate in hands of Bloatware International (Symantec).

As pinch hitter backup, if Sygate ever suddenly "breaks", I did D'L OutPost Pro 30 day trial as their approach sounds interesting tho' I can't say how well it works not having tried it yet.

Thanks, SG1 (Pat)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.