Breaking: Anonymous Trust Decentralization

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by SteveTX, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

One of the main complaints that users have over VPNs and other single entity services is that the entity has the capability to turn over data if it desired, and so it puts pressure upon checking the integrity of the entity. Would they turn over data at the slightest pretext, are they in a good jurisdiction, who runs the organization?

We've been pondering these issues for some time... and now we have a solution.

Xero Networks will be decentralizing user trust risks, making themselves no longer capable of being a single entity that can put all the information together needed to trace traffic back to a user. This is done by allowing trusted 3rd parties to operate entry nodes (who cannot decrypt user traffic, only relay it to Xero Networks), which are to be built on an open-source platform with hash-check audited for remote integrity checks, and are likely to be designed compliant to FIPS-140 military specification. This does not pose a risk of traffic injection / distrusted parties (limitation of tor) or a heightened risk of traffic analysis / political risk (limitation of jondonym) for users. Only trusted and vetted entities in unique jurisdictions will be allowed to relay entry traffic to the XeroBank network. The effect is that Xero Networks will no longer know whos traffic was relayed to them, only that it was authorized. There will be no untrustworthy parties in the relay. This is a major advance in the world of anonymity providing not only the most advanced network technology but now also the most risk-averse structure ever designed, and you've heard it here first.

This change will be affected in the new Xero 3.0 network design. A press release about this gigantic leap on behalf of user privacy is forthcoming. Stay tuned to discover who the first trusted partners will be.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  2. blatnoy

blatnoy Registered Member

Sounds Awesome!!!

3. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

This news must be why the service has been so spotty the last 2 days or so? Last night was very bad. Am also having trouble with the Canada and US nodes just now.

Hope the pains are worth it.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  4. SteveTX

We're moving nodes right now, and moving the traffic to TCP which should drastically improve stability. New nodes to be released next week. 500Mbps in Chicago, 100Mbps in Dallas, 100 mbps in Houston, 100 Mbps in toronto, 100 mbps more in Netherlands, 100 Mbps in france, and next month 100mbps in luxembourg and germany.

5. snowdrift

So is this change in centralization why I cannot connect for the last 2 days or so? I sent an email to admin@xerobank.com. Please check into it.

Thanks.

6. SteveTX

What email? I'll take a look. Send me a private message.

7. snowdrift

Steve, after removing the OpenVPN RC client from 11/2008 and installing XeroBank 2.9.4.28, the problem appears fixed.

Thank you.

8. n33m3rz

n33m3rz Registered Member

cool! Is there any reason not to have random exits/relays with trusted Xerobank exit nodes? Why limit it to entry nodes? But, this is cool, and I think will make xerobank a much better anonymity service!

9. SteveTX

Exit nodes are where cryptographic termination occurs as well as traffic exposure. While it is certainly possible, I would not be for allowing any party who is not Xero to be exposed to the risk of user exit node traffic and vice versa.

10. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

This is great news. Who will be the trusted parties running the entry nodes? Will it be EFF?

Although I am highly sceptical when it comes to commercial privacy providers, this might make even me a Xerobank customer. :)

11. SteveTX

As a non-profit organization, I think they would be precluded from running a node since it will be very costly, and be remunerated for profit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.