Brand new to True Image Home 11 - system state?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by CarolW, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarolW

CarolW Registered Member

Firefox is my default browser, too. I'm using quite a few of its add-ons, including NoScript, and the WebDeveloper Toolbar, but haven't had time for about 2.5 yars to update my web site, and have forgotten how! I have a LOT of re-learning to do. I just restored my local version of that site from my external drive, last night. But I'm not that familiar with all the features of Firefox, though I recently learned that for a .PDF file, the thing to do, if you want to consult it more than once, is to right-click the link to it, and choose Save Link As... The terminology is a bit strange - I don't find it that intuitive - but at least I did learn that what gets saved is the file the link links to! That is, if you want to download the file, that's the most efficient way to do it.

Save As is standard, I believe. No extension (add-on) needed.

Haha! I don't even know what AutoCorrect is! I have version 4.95, and can't afford to upgrade, but that doesn't matter to me. I did my entire web site with NoteTabPro as my editor. It's a great way to learn, and demands that I maintain some knowledge of and control over what I'm doing. The WYSIWYG edtors drive me nuts, because I don't feel I have ANY control over the coding. On the other hand, I did use NVu 1.0 to begin, and it did help me learn quite a lot. Then I'd take the results into NoteTabPro and clean them up there. And then I used the W3C Validation services- NVu led me there, too; it contains links to the W3C Markup and CSS validation services. I use the WebDeveloper forums when I need them - and have time!

Thanks for this tip! I'll go look at these. Does Acronis allow a download manager for its upgrades and stuff?

Brilliant strategies. I have to drive quite a distance to get to the library, so that doesn't help me a lot. So I just do it from home. I start the download and go to bed. I've heard of the thumbdrives; had no idea they're that small;l how handy! I understand about the grandkids! I have a second phone line for my modem, as I'm online a lot - have full-time access - and need to be able to phone my vet, and have my vet return calls. And when studying, as I am now, it's a great convenience! But it is an extra expense each month. Cheaper than my regular voice line, though.

I've been with mine for over 20 years now; he taught me so much, and continues to teach me. The computer I have now was given to me, but the giver allowed me to buy it from my dealer! Same with the external drive. My dealer stands behind the equipment he sells, and chooses it very carefully, too, as he gives a standard three-year warranty. And a couple of times, he's replaced stuff that gave out even after that time. We do everything by email, as he's out of my traveling reach for now, but my SO and Buddy brings me the stuff from the city, and takes anything back for me, too.

Hey, thanks. I will say this: the amount of time I've put in has always seemed to me to approach insanity. Is it worth it to spend incredible amounts of time to learn to type one page in a document, then save it? (I'm thinking back to my start with a personal computer, c. 1985.) It took me about five years to get some decent ability with DOS. Same for Windows. I put off Windows as long as I could. And it was starting from scratch, all over again. I can say, I've learned a LOT in the last couple of weeks muchly with so much help from here. One can generally find help by looking for it! - but not at all necessarily of the high quality I'm getting here.

Anything I can manage with the computer, I owe very much to the many people who have helped, always with my dealer in the background, and my SO and Buddy, too. I had quite a discussion with my dealer, by email, about the problems with Norton Ghost and AVG Internet Security. My dealer suggested a program from Symantec, but I didn't care for the idea. I had forgotten till now that my DEALER uses NAV (Norton Anti-Virus, by Symantec). No WONDER he thought this rather special, very fast, Enterprise program might suit me. Because if I did use NAV, I wouldn't have had the conflict with Norton Ghost. But the only Symantec software I used much was Nortun Utilities, for my Win98 machine when I had that. I'd used the Norton Utilities for DOS, before Symantec took over from Peter Norton.

One mor thing - thanks for that screen shot! I'm a nut about pictures of any kind! And that was a great screen shot. I saved your post (thanks to your instructions, this time, as a complete Web Page, to get that attachment right in there. Then I ALSO (being such a picture nut) right-clicked on the image, and chose Save Image As... and saved a copy of that separately as well!

But with your earlier long post, I came here, selected the entire post, Copied it, and Pasted it into Notepad. Then saved that, and put a shortcut to it on my Desktop, and then added it to my QuickLaunch, and deleted the Desktop shortcut. So now, I could call that up and paste the whole thing in here, in instants, but I don't think I'll do that; haha!

Grover - thanks!
    Sat, 29 Dec 2007 21:35:34 (courtesy of TClockEx.exe - I use these for my personal reference).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.