Brand New to PG

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Rico, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi, I just purchased & installed PG today. While in the learning mode, I clicked on just about everything, and now I'm in the protected mode. Questions:

1. If i want to un-install a program like from add/remove programs. Do you uninstall from "learning mode"? What about a protected program un-install?

2. Trend Micro gets its virus definitons, in the background without prompting. I have not been in the learning mode, so far, when Trend wants to update. What do i do here?

3. Programs like Perfect Disk, SysInternals PageDefrag, one of Erunt's apps compacts registry. Need to do there work on the next reboot. I'll assume PG won't object, as it would not be loaded? Correct or In-correct thinking here.

4. Now what? Should PG pop off & it's message has nothing to do, with what i'm doing. Do i assume its bad & block?

5. If i block something then oopps! I should not have blocked that. Then what?

6. I'm still reading your 62 page, used a couple of ink cartridges, book.

7. Folding@Home from Stanford University, a distributed computing project. Is a startup item & constantly communicates & works on projects. FAH was probably not phoneing home, while I was in LM (LM = learning mode) is this cool. PG knows about FAH, but PG has not seen FAH calling home.

8. Roxio EZCD7 has many applets inside does each applet, need to be learned. Or dbl. click roxio then you have the choice to use several different apps. eg sound editor, or disk copier etc.

9. PG has been introduced (LM) to iTunes, but PG has not seen iTunes download a song. Does PG need to see iTunes download a song in LM?

10. I guess if the answer to #9 is yes. Then perhaps & extended stay in LM is in order?

11. Can we have a desktop shortcut, that toggles btwn LM & PM (PM = protected mode)? Kind cool for those microsoft patches etc.

12. If #2 occurs in PM how to correct for future virus updates?

13. Enough already, refer to #6

Thanks
    rico

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

ok u have a lot of questions. for 1, i just temporarily disable protection. 2 u just have to allow the updater component to start. 3 correct. 5 just run it again and dont block it or go to the security tab and change the Last Action. 7 pg doesnt monitor internet access, ur firewall does. 8 u have to allow each applet/component. 9 again pg doesnt monitor internet access.

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

No need to put learning mode on fo Uninstalls, though you may want to delete any processes that are listed for the uninstalled program from your protection list and security list.

It depends on the alert information, there are many windows processes that may pop up in the first few days of PG usage that were not caught whilst you were in learning mode, if you are not sure of the process alerted on , google for it, ask here or contact DCS support.

Well that's a very good start :)

HTH Pilli

4. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Pilli

How's this accomplished?

Which do you delete first PG's protection, then the program, or vice versa?

. Okay! I don't know when the updater will start, & what mode, or does it matter, that PG is in?

Upgrades of exsisting programs (already protected) should these be done in LM? Example Registry Mechanic has been learned by PG, does not require & uninstall to be updated, should the upgrade be done in LM?

What about #11? or Protected/non protected?

Thanks
    rico the pest

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Rico, You do NOT need to disable protection when uninstalling a program.
    After uninstall, simply delete the uninstalled processes from both lists. Highlight the application name and use the remove button.
    Upgrades will usually only require that you allow the updated application to run always, this is because the applications check sum will change and PG alerts on the change.

To disable PG right click the systray icon and deselct protection enabled for Learning mode right click the ico and then select protection settings then enable learning mode.

HTH Pilli :)

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

A desktop icon for protection could be handy, but could open up security issues. For Windows Update I simply set the Automatic Updates to tell me when they are downloaded, but before installing.

When they are downloaded ready to go, disable protection. Then hit go, they install. Then enable protection, enable learning, and off for 1 reboot. Done :) disable learning mode when Windows loads.

Antivirus updates will often only contain data. The files get downloaded to a certain location (and loaded by the AV). No new programs start, so no alerts ? Some AV's will be different, but the procedure should just be to allow any programs which try to run.

7. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Messrs WSFuser, Pilli, & Gavin - Thanks for holding my hand during my orientation to PG.

Thanks Again
    rico

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.