Brackets: best free HTML editor!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by moontan, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moontan

moontan Registered Member

Brackets is the free and open source program of Adobe Edge, a web editing software with the ease of use of Notepad++ or Sublime Text.
    frankly, i am just amazed at the quality of this program. :thumb:
    works on Win/Mac/Linux.

there is a live preview mode which is pretty damn cool as you can see instantly the change you make to the code inside of Chrome.

here is a quick intro to Brackets on Youtube:
    h**p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvo3Mv1Z4qU

get Brackets here:
    http://brackets.io/
    ----
    4 must have extensions for Brackets:
    * brackets-code-folding
    * Display Shortcuts
    * Emmet (Zen coding)
    * Themes (to change the look of Brackets)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  2. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

thanks. watched the video and this thing looks promising. i normally just use notepadd++ for simple web edits, but maybe it's time to change...

3. moontan

one thing i love is that i can edit a CSS stylesheet and see the changes in real-time.

it's pretty good as a learning tool for someone like me who is starting to learn hand-coding.

4. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Just started using this over Notepad++. I like it, but was wondering if there is an option to turn off automatic indenting when you hit Enter to go to the next line.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

This looks good, but I prefer to use a WYSIWYG editor than directly editing the code. It's a about 15 years since I have done any web design at the HTML level.

6. moontan

i love WYSIWYG editors myself because i'm more into graphic design.

the code produced by such WYSIWYG editors is a pain to work with with a text editor.
    it's old technology that was used 10 years ago.

these days, most of the styling is done via CSS instead of bloating the HTML with embedded and inline styling.

open the extension manager and search for "indent".
    there are a few plugins for that.

i'm no expert with Brackets, so their user forums might help more than me.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  7. any wysiwyg editors you can recommend?

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

You can use css with wysiwyg editors without any problem, and get clean code. It's just the matter of having good a good set of css in the first place. No inline and no bloating. On the contrary.
    Mrk

9. moontan

Xara Web Designer, Serif WebPlus and some other WYSIWYG editors do not use CSS.

for example, Xara only uses embedded and inline styling.
    in some instances, every line of text is wrapped in a span tag.

would you like to have to edit the text in this example with a text editor?:
    Code:
    <div class="Heading_1" style="position: absolute; left:51px; top:462px;">
      <h1 class="xr_tl Heading_1" style="top: -29px;margin:0;">Id velit ipsum</h1>
      <h2 class="xr_tl Heading_2" style="top: 25px;margin:0;">Irure dolor commodo</h2>
      <h3 class="xr_tl Heading_3" style="top: 63px;margin:0;">Aliquip ullamco reprehenderit </h3>
      <h3 class="xr_tl Heading_3" style="top: 80px;margin:0;">laboris</h3>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text" style="top: 112px;">Pariatur eiusmod dolor irure pariatur esse </span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text" style="top: 130px;">id deserunt sit anim labore adipisicing </span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text" style="top: 148px;">consequat esse elit consequat in, id est. </span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text" style="top: 166px;">Eiusmod in non duis magna sint qui </span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text" style="top: 184px;">laboris ea labore. Nostrud nulla, ullamco </span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text" style="top: 202px;">sint enim officia esse in exercitation </span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text" style="top: 221px;">incididunt cupidatat ut enim, ea ipsum </span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text" style="top: 239px;">dolore incididunt tempor et.</span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text" style="top: 275px;">Elit excepteur tempor minim et nulla </span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text" style="top: 293px;">cupidatat aute deserunt pariatur occaecat </span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text" style="top: 311px;">fugiat officia qui dolor amet. Est cillum </span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text" style="top: 329px;">voluptate magna consectetur fugiat ut </span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text" style="top: 347px;">dolore non fugiat! Magna proident cillum. </span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text" style="top: 365px;">Labore eiusmod mollit, dolore sit </span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text" style="top: 383px;">adipisicing cupidatat tempor aliquip esse, </span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text" style="top: 402px;">cillum et voluptate adipisicing elit nisi </span>
      <span class="xr_tl Normal_text" style="top: 420px;">minim.</span>
     </div>
    i certainly would not enjoy that one bit. :thumbd:

"The horror. The horror...".

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  10. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

WebPlus has limited use of CSS.

11. Mrkvonic

Others do well, kompozer, bluefish ...
    Mrk

12. moontan

hahaha! :D

having been a paid user of their software i'm sure the use of CSS is limited indeed. :p

it was pretty damn good 10 years ago but we need to design websites these days for multiple devices.
    not just desktop users with big monitors.

and imo, we need to design websites so the customer can have easy access and editing to the HTML code.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  13. moontan

not really.
    you gonna have to get your hands dirty learning HTML and CSS.

WYSIWYG editors might save you time in the short run but months or years later you'll kick yourself for not learning the basics.
    been there, done that.

14. Mrkvonic

Unless you use them for presentation and not for style.
    The use of editors and good knowledge of css/html are not mutually exclusive.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.