BR 2013 error: VSS: Can't read volume data (Source: Hard Disk Manager).

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by larryz, Dec 31, 2013.

1. larryz

larryz Registered Member

The error message I receive is VSS: Can't read volume data (Source: Hard Disk Manager). BR 2013 - it worked before. Toshiba 64 bit laptop / Win 7 - Home Premium. I had a backup and some diffs. I decided to start from scratch and deleted them. I backup to an external drive on my home network. It ran for 2 hours. It appeared the 1st step ran good but then crashed and the following 3 steps said "cannot run due to previous errors" and I received the message, "VSS: Can't read volume data (Source: Hard Disk Manager)." I tried again, same thing. I ran chkdsk.exe /f. Same result. I called Paragon and was advised to run chkdsk.exe /r. After that it crashes in step 1 after a 1/2 hour and I receive the same message. I did repair in control panel and same result. I uninstalled and reinstalled. Instead of opening in advanced mode as before, it opened in basic mode. I tried to back up in basic mode and got the same result after a 1/2 hour.

2. Detective64

Detective64 Registered Member

This reply is a little late but maybe this will help someone else.
    I got the same error msg trying to backup with Paragon Backup & Recovery 2012 free addition. VSS: Can't read volume data (Sourse: Hard Disk Manager) I tried everything from chkdsk /r and other HDD doctor programs I got the same result. After reading a bunch of post, one of them said to download the software from hard disk manufacture in order to repair / diagnose the HDD. In my case it was seagate. After downloading and running their windows based HDD repair program I got a msg that said it couldn't repair in windows mode and it recommended the DOS version called SeaToolsDOS. So I downloaded from seagate's website and followed their instructions to created an image cd to use as a boot disk. I ran the boot disk and it loaded the DOS program. I then ran a long scan mode and it found 99 errors on HDD blocks. I had to re-run the program 7 times in order to repair all the errors. ( i guess it can only fix 99 at a time) after all the errors were fix I was able to backup with paragon backup. YEAH!!! During the backup process Windows flashed a couple of msg's saying my hard drive was failing and suggested I backup my computer. Duh! anyway I'm ready for a hard drive crash. bring it on!

3. garioch7

garioch7 Registered Member

Thanks for posting your results. I experienced something similar and resorted to Western Digital diagnostics, which cleaned up the problems. Both Paragon and Easeus ToDo Backup were reporting read/write errors, so I knew that the issue was not just a Paragon issue. Hopefully your post will help others who encounter this error resolve their problems. There is also an excellent program, called SpinRite, which is a bit pricey, but is very good at dealing with, recovering data, and otherwise managing dying hard drives. I have used it several times for folks with some serious success. Have a great day.

Regards,
    -Phil

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.