Boxing legend, gone....

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by snowbound, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

2. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

big boxing fan here too. thanx for the article, i did not know he had passed.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Max Schmeling was a true hero without doubt. it's very sad news :'(

4. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

Yep, sorry to hear that. The '30s produced some great champions such as Schmeling....in the days before umpteen weight classes & an alphabet soup mess of sanctioning bodies, leading to 3-4 "world champs" in each weight class. Though the press in the day tried to play up the racial implications, both Schmeling & Louis fought, and held the title, with great dignity. Even in the grainy old black 'n' white newsreel footage, you can see they were tough sons-o'-guns. ;)

5. Sugabella

Sugabella Registered Member

Sorry to hear that. :'( :'( I loved that guy

6. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

I've heard alot about him!! My dad used to box, taught by his uncle, then got my brothers and some of their friends in Golden Gloves, really young.

Somewhere along the line, boxing became less of an art, more like - a bad mixture of comedy, brutality, with matches that would never have been made, just to make a TV special. I remember the Fight Nights on TV, course there was no close circuit then!! :)

Ali did alot to bring it back, when the big $$$ saw the popularity of him, then the money coming in, the sportmanship of it all was all too much for those greedy &^%^&> whatevers.

Too Bad, there are so many young kids that think boxing is knocking someone out in 3 seconds. Being a bully, getting your brains pushed to mush, well, when you come from no place, I guess, it seems worth it, even if you can't box a lick.

It seems to be about just using up these kids, for entertainment, for dollars, like Kleenex, it's a shame, most of them shouldn't even be in a ring.

It must disgust alot of people that know how much time, training, and just plain hard work it all takes. Well, everything seems to come and go in cycles, maybe the public will get tired of the "meanness" and look around for real talent? Don't know, so much has changed.

I know so many young guys growing up that learned alot about discipline, fairness, working towards a goal, lots of attributes that are still needed to grow up and live in the world now, seems it is sorely needed.

Especially the part of EARNING Respect, not just knocking someone around and thinking you ARE respected or even DESERVE Respect. :eek: :eek: Nuts!!

Should call one of my brothers tonite, we can groan and moan about all this stuff, gee, the old days show up for everyone, huh? Who'd uh thunk ito_O :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.