Boxed Version of TI -- CD not bootable

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jsquareg, May 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsquareg

jsquareg Registered Member

Early last week after trying the trial versions of TI and Disk Director, I ordered boxed versions of both from Acronis. They came yesterday and I registered both. So far so good.

The CD's for both plainly state on the CD label the words 'Bootable CD.'
    Neither are bootable. They just contain one file, the .exe file for installing them.

It seems to me that if the label says the CD is bootable then it should be so.

Am I missing something? Anyone have an explanation for this?

Thank you.

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

I don't know why it would say that and it isn't, but after you install the software, there is a menu item to create a bootable Rescue cd and that is the one you want.

3. jsquareg

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I know how to do that. I did it with the trial version but what I really want is to get what I thought I paid for. I chose to order the boxed version rather that download an 'official one'.

4. Chutsman

If that was the only wrinkle with ATI this would be a happy place.:D :D

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Seems most strange. I always understood that the retail boxed CD version of TI also served as the bootable rescue CD. Maybe it's just a straightforward manufacturing/distribution cockup?

Hopefully Acronis Support will shed some light on this.

Regards

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Don't forget that the bootable part will be hidden - it won't show up in Explorer or similar - so just showing the install file would be correct.

One way of checking that the CD actually has the bootable files on it, is to open up your favourite burning software (I use Nero) and then choose disc info - this will tell you if the dick should be bootable or not.

Colin

7. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

The CD in the retail boxed version purchase din the USA is bootable, but, there's my big butt again, you MUST not use the CD as it is the old crappy build(as I recal, 2323) .

Instead register at the Acronis web site, download the current build, and create a rescue CD.

If you purchased directly from Acronis, they might be delivering a CD with the latest build, not the same CD as in the retail kit.

8. Howard Kaikow

Get yourself ISOBuster to view the CD.
    It wil let you know whether the CD is bootable.

http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/

9. jsquareg

Several have suggested I examine the CD's carefully using several means. This I will do but the fact remains the CD's will not boot on any one of my three machines that I know will boot all of my other bootable CD's.

I bought the sets from Acronis directly.

10. Howard Kaikow

That implies that Acronis is selling non-bootable CDs.

Hopefully, it is build 3567, so all you dwnload is th user's guide.

11. Chutsman

It also means that the Marketing people don't know that the Software people have changed how the CD is supposed to work.

12. Howard Kaikow

One question: Is the .exe the ONLY file on the CD?

If so, then it's clearly not bootable and is just a copy of the version that would be download anyway.

There is NO value in the CD in the retail kit because it has the old buggy build 2323 (unless tIhas now updated the retail kit, which I doubt).

13. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I assume Howard means after using either of the above methods to check for the boot files.

I have had bootable CD's not be recognised as well as not autostarting, I've always assumed the problem is down to either poor media quality or my CD/DVD drive isn't very forgiving when it comes to production tolerances.

Colin

14. rafael

rafael Registered Member

The retail ( boxed )copy I got from new.egg does not boot either. It's an older build anyway so it has no value to me except to have the serial code for registration.

15. Howard Kaikow

It's easy enough to download http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/, to find out whether a CD is bootable.

In any case, the retail CD very likely has the useless 2323 build, so you have to download the new build anyway and make a recovery CD.

It's a separate question as to why Acronis would sell you a non-bootable CD.

I will now use ISOBuster to check the retail CD I purchased ...
    I'm back, the CD is indeed bootable.

16. Howard Kaikow

I also had purchased from Newegg.

17. Howard Kaikow

Also, just because a CD is formatted as bootable, does not guarantee that it will actually work.

The FIRST thing to do is use ISOBuster to see if the critter is formatted as bootable,

18. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jsquareg and everyone interested,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that the reason why the CDs that you have purchased from the official Acronis online store are not bootable is correctly explained in Menorcaman's post #6. Actually, these CDs are supposed to be bootable but in fact they are not because of the misunderstanding that appeared between the "Marketing" and "Software" people. We already aware of this problem and will certainly do our best in order to start selling bootable CDs as soon as possible. We are very sorry for your inconveniences.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

19. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Just try to boot with it and that will tell you if it is bootable on yur machine; no damage done.

sh

20. PhilipShaunTaylor

PhilipShaunTaylor Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.