BoxCryptor?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by newbino, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbino

newbino Registered Member

I have just found this program which is supposed to be optimized for cloud storage and encrypts/decrypts files on-the-fly.
    Does anyone have hands-on experience with it or cares to comment about its security approach?
    thanks

2. x942

x942 Guest

I would just stick with truecrypt as it's open source and trusted by most. I have never heard of Box Cryptor before and would need more details before considering them.

3. newbino

newbino Registered Member

I appreciate what you say. What do you make of this from HowtoGeek?
    maybe this thread from their forum would be of help - I don't have enough knowledge to evaluate it.
    thanks

4. x942

x942 Guest

It is true, you will be uploading one "file" but all of your files are in there and encrypted. Personally I don't care if I have to upload it manually or not.

That said you could use spideroak instead and not have to worry about it. Spider Oak uses client side encryption that is almost identical to how lastpass does it. In simple terms they do this:

username + password hashed with SHA256 = Encryption Key

Encryption key + username hashed with SHA256 = ID Token

The ID token verifies you to their servers and logs you in. This way they never get your password or key.

http://www.kimpl.com/spideroak

www.wuala.com/ is another similar service to spideroak and also doesn't get your key or password.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.