Bought NOD32, ran scan of hard drive

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by New User, May 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New User

New User Guest

after i run the scan of the hard drive using "deep" scan setting with advanced H, it comes back and says something like 4-7 files could not be check cause they were locked or something like that. doesn't even list the file names. is this normal? This happens on two separate machines, i have tries other antivirus programs, and none of them come back saying some files were not able to be checked.

what gives?

2. sig

sig Registered Member

3. New User

New User Guest

thanks, sorry, i actually did a search on locked and read that first link. i have a followup question though, perhaps a newb question, but if a file is locked for whatever reason by the operating system or some other program, why is it that every other AV program i have tried, were able to read it (norton, KAV, AVG, Panda, Pc-cillian)

also, if it is locked, is it possible to have a virus/trojan hiding inside one of those locked files?

4. sig

sig Registered Member

Hmn...I've just wondered if perhaps the other AV's just don't bother to show locked files that can't be scanned (if you're just assuming they were scanned since the AV's didn't report that they couldn't access and scan these locked files). Unless you know that these specific files were indeed successfully scanned by the other AV's, then that would be a different case.

According to other posts I've read, if the file is locked and other apps can't access it that should mean that malware can't access it either. But perhaps some NOD mod can provide more info. In the meantime, perhaps you can provide a screenshot (or copy paste) of the portion of the scan log showing the locked files so someone else here can identify them as either system files or other program files and perhaps provide a more specific explanation.

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I received a brand new virus that Nod did NOT pick up, it loaded itself into memory and was locked, see the following thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=32317

I still have no reply as to why AMON did NOT flare up with its usual glaring red window of warning, only found out it was picking up one of the 4 files that were downloaded, when and ONLY when I looked through the virus logs...

So with my experience, should a virus get past Nod and be loaded into memory, then it too will show as a locked file.

Cheers :D

6. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Perhaps some of the mainstream apps from Trend/McAfee/Symantec might not count them. Byt Kaspersky, BitDefender and Panda Titanium do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.