Botnet menace a result of Windows ubiquity?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by nmaynan, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nmaynan

nmaynan Registered Member

Think about it.

The facts. . .

1.) Windows runs users as Adminstrators (especially pre-vista)

2.) Microsoft's lack of interest/attention to security (especially pre-vista). For example, XP showed open ports to the internet on a default install

3.) Microsoft's draconian product key requirement coupled with exorbitant prices leads to

---piracy, especially in less developed countries (which = no security updates being issued by Microsoft to the machine)

---using one key on more than one machine (which = no security updates being issued by Microsoft to the machine)

---software snaffus that result in valid key/machines being marked invalid (which = no security updates being issued by Microsoft to the machine)

If a Unix variant was the dominant OS in the world . . .

1.) malware would have a much more difficult time infecting machines and spreading across machines and networks (users don't work as admins)

2.) Mac OS does not use product keys like Microsoft so the piracy, copying, and software snaffus aren't an issue (which = security updates always arrive)

3.) Linux variants are open source so piracy and copying is not an issue. Plus package managers provide security updates for ALL software. Users do not have to individually provide security updates for third-party software like Flash and Java, which means even uneducated computer users will not have out-of-date software installed on their machines.

If a Unix variant was dominant, the Botnet Menace would not be the threat it is today. The threat might still exist, but the magnitude/severity would not be there. Windows has hurt the safety of not only the internet but also the safety of everything people have come to rely on the internet for (e.g. electricity, traffic lights, telecommunication, etc.). This dawned on me while listening to details of the Conficker worm.

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Doesn't matter because 2012 is the year of the Linux desktop, it's also the year all movies and music go free to eliminate piracy.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Saying this is like saying "There's malware because of poor security policy."

Yeah, you're right.

Not much to do with running as admin though. And piracy will always been an issue - nothing to do with the OS. If I want to play XYZ game and I Don't want to pay for it it won't matter what OS I'm using.

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It's also the year MSFT will give positive returns, Bing will become the major search engine, Internet Explorer (and Firefox) will stop losing market share and so on ...

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

It's also the year of global collapse :eek: Are you prepared ?

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Yes, I'm in cash to buy on declines. Where's Ocky?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.