Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Good! Thanks for letting us know. :thumb:

2. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

"Microsoft just released yet another Win10 upgrade nag system, disguised as a "Recommended" patch for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 systems.

According to the KB 3173040 article, if you have Windows set to automatically install updates, and have the Windows Update "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" box checked, your machine will suddenly sprout a full-screen purple message that says":
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/30...throws-full-screen-win10-upgrade-warning.html

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

For the second month in a row, updating my W7 laptop went fast, as it used to. No delays, no waiting. kb3161664 got installed just now, not having it installed before, seems doesn't make any difference in my computer. All I done differently for May and June updates was change the activation of the screen protector from 3 minutes to 300.

Bo

4. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

I just got 3040 today and it is now hidden.

5. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Likewise - thanks for the heads up.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Any body having trouble downloading the latest updates for Win 7?

7. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I had problems again this month (June, actually) with 7. Ended up installing manually all the updates I could find at the Download Center, then ran Windows Update. It only took a few minutes and said I was up to date.

8. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

For 2 days I was unable to download Windows 7 updates (around 8 after hiding a few) – got the 0% downloading.... with nothing happening in the 'bar' window. Re-checked all my settings, etc but couldn't see where the problem lay. To confuse the issue, I had just upgraded my 3G connection to 4G – so thought this might be where the problem lay. I spent 2 frustrating days troubleshooting – without a result.

Finally, the updates actually downloaded and installed OK – although I still haven't a clue why, or what the initial problem was! (nothing wrong with my firewall rules, nor any system\security software settings!) o_O

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Interesting... I usually do the update check on Bork Tuesday and then download and install the same day. Never had any problems. But I have heard several people now mention downloading problems when they try to install them several weeks later. There appears to be a pattern there....

10. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Exactly which latest updates for Windows 7 do you mean?
    Do you mean the June 14 Patch Tuesday updates, or do you mean KB3161608 or other?

Last Patch Tuesday, June 14, I started search for updates only a few minutes after the Patch Tuesday updates were issued.
    One Windows 7 machine needed 1.5 hours to search for updates, the other about 2 hours.
    Downloading and installing went OK, took another 20 or 30 minutes.

A friend started search for updates the next day, or the day after that.
    It didn't work, it took Windows Update a week to come up with updates, and downloading and installing was taking days also.
    We decided to do what stapp mentioned: download KB3161664 through Microsoft Download Center, stop Windows Update service, and then install KB3161664. After that, Windows Update was able to find, download and install all updates in about half an hour, or a little more.

We also installed KB3161608, because of the KB3161647 component, "An optimization that addresses long scan time for updates that's reported on some computers." Let's hope this fix really works. We'll know in a couple of weeks, with the next Patch Tuesday updates.

11. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Wow, that's the longest I've seen. Good luck with next Patch Tuesday. ;)

12. Stupendous Man

Well, my friend didn't have her computer on the whole week, of course.
    But over the time it was on, and searching for updates, it took a week before it found the Patch Tuesday updates. And then it wasn't able to download and install them. It was truly terrible. Thank goodness, there was the KB3161664 trick, to get things going.

Let's hope the KB3161608-KB3161647 component "An optimization that addresses long scan time for updates that's reported on some computers" fix works, and that next Patch Tuesday is sheer joy.

13. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

That's a problem that many Windows 7 users face at the moment. Sometimes it can take many hours to search for updates, but if you leave Windows Update running, it will eventually find updates.

There's an ongoing discussion about it here.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  14. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

15. ProTruckDriver

Interesting article stapp. I like the last statement in that article:
    I'm wondering if M$ will still screw with us?

16. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Will anyone stop them?

There's your answer.

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Don't they always screw with their users in one way or the other :ouch:

18. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Just downloaded and installed the June Borkdates (as always I wait 2-3 weeks before doing this) there was 8 inc KB3161664 I didn't do anything special and the whole process only took about 40 minutes,
    Maybe I was lucky !

19. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I've been trying for two days.

20. ProTruckDriver

It's going to be interesting after the M$ Free Upgrade Promo is over, how long it will take me to reformat Windows 7. One day? One week? One month? or more? I haven't done a Windows update in the last 3 or 4 months. I guess I'll fine out at the end of this month.

21. hiten

hiten Registered Member

Just received notification from Windows Update. They tried to push KB2952664, I remember I've hidden this one before.

I guess I have to be extra careful these following weeks before the end of July.

22. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Looks like KB2952664 is making another comeback for Win7 users: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/894199

23. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Besides KB2952664 (hid it, as always), I received KB3170735. Will wait awhile before updating this one.

24. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Luckily I don't participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program on Win 7 :)

I won't be installing this update (664) as I am keeping this laptop on Win 7.

I already have Win 10 on another machine.

25. Stupendous Man

I hid KB3170735. I don't use Windows Journal anyhow, and a Windows Journal update that only "adds the capability to notify you about future Windows Journal developments" seems to be of no use at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.