Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. badsector

badsector Registered Member

you and me both... :isay:

2. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

KB 2986475, the Exchange Server 2010 SP3 update rollup 8, was pulled yesterday,as I reported. If you started rolling out the update, you need to roll it back (at least, if you want to connect to Outlook, heh heh heh). I've seen no further official word as to the cause, or the cure.

KB 3002339 -- a patch of a .NET Framework 4.5.3 patch -- is still hanging on installation for some people. If the patch takes more than, oh, 30 minutes to install, kill the installer, then manually download it, as I noted yesterday.

KB 3004394 caused no end of problems -- bogus UAC prompts, Diagnostic Tool error 8000706f7, Catalyst driver installation fail, Windows Defender error 2147023113 -- as I reported yesterday. It now appears as if this Windows Root Certificate patch has been pulled. As usual, there's no notification in the KB article, and no official announcement that I can see. If you have it installed, I have no idea if you should uninstall it or not.

KB 3008923, the MS14-080 Internet Explorer rollup, is crashing Internet Explorer, although which versions of IE is unclear. Bryanangler2 reports on Microsoft Connect:

We have an enterprise app that heavily uses modal dialogs. This morning we were greeted with a flood of support requests that after a Windows update last night, dialogs no longer work. We isolated the issue that window.dialogArguments on secondary window no longer works.

At this point, I've seen reports of the problem with IE 9 and IE 11, but one report says that it affects IE 11 only, and not IE 9 or 10. As usual, there's no acknowledgment of the problem in the KB article (although the KB article does say there may be an installation error 8024001d with Windows 10 Technical Preview). No clue as to a workaround.

Finally, KB 3011970 -- the Silverlight patch -- crashed so spectacularly that Time Warner Cable issued an alert, with instructions to manually uninstall the patch. It says:

Late Tuesday afternoon, Microsoft released an update to their Silverlight Player (used for video playback on TWCTV.com) for Windows. The update contained a bug which caused the digital rights management (DRM) system to fail. This impacted multiple Silverlight applications from various providers, not just TWC TV. We believe Microsoft has pulled the bad update, but many users will have already received the update. (Note: this is unrelated to the recent Macintosh Chrome browser compatibility issue. Chrome on the Mac remains unsupported due to Google’s decision to pull support for the plug-in, and our engineers are working this issue).

Any customers who have installed the update on their Windows 7 machine will receive the message, “An error has occurred.”

The patch has been pulled, so the lemmings, er, customers with Windows Automatic Update turned on won't be bothered by it again. Of course, the KB article says nothing about the problem.

The silver lining in all of this? At least the patch-pulling mechanism works. Imagine how life would be if Microsoft couldn't pull the patches.​

3. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Update-KB3004394-Breaks-Down-Windows-Defender-467202.shtml
    Apparently removing it, did helped someone. Or one could, if you have patience, wait for Microsoft to fix the problem.

4. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Great MS -- way to go (not !)

5. Dragon1952

In the past hour, Microsoft acknowledged the problem and told us what to do about it. Microsoft engineer and forum moderator Pinaki Mohanty, writing on theMicrosoft Answers forum, announced that you should uninstall KB 3004394, if you were unfortunate enough to get it. Here's the official advice:

We encourage Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 customers who are impacted, to uninstall the updates/KB3004394. Once ready, we will re-release the updates......http://www.infoworld.com/article/28...t-you-uninstall-botched-patch-kb-3004394.html

6. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Thanks for your detailed post. I went ahead and updated my W7 after reading it. I am on W7 32 bits, IE9. All is well after applying update KB3008923 as with the rest.

Bo

7. Dragon1952

I have W7 64 and IE9 but don't plan on installing KB3008923 anytime soon. I will wait to see if it gets pulled or more info about it.

8. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  9. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

From Microsoft releases 'Silver Bullet' patch KB 3024777 to eliminate KB 3004394:

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Well, I had the same 10, and while updating today, both KB300357 and KB3008923 were cancelled upon installation.

After reboot, they both appeared again, and installed without issues. Just FYI.

11. Dragon1952

12. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

OK, thanks for the information. :thumb:

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Daveski17, you're welcome! Take care.

14. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

From Office 2010 ActiveX Disabled - December Update KB2553154:

15. Dragon1952

KB 3008923, the MS14-080 Internet Explorer rollup, is crashing Internet Explorer, although which versions of IE is unclear. Bryanangler2 reports on Microsoft Connect:

We have an enterprise app that heavily uses modal dialogs. This morning we were greeted with a flood of support requests that after a Windows update last night, dialogs no longer work. We isolated the issue that window.dialogArguments on secondary window no longer works.

At this point, I've seen reports of the problem with IE 9 and IE 11, but one report says that it affects IE 11 only, and not IE 9 or 10. As usual, there's no acknowledgment of the problem in the KB article (although the KB article does say there may be an installation error 8024001d with Windows 10 Technical Preview). No clue as to a workaround.

16. Dragon1952

I have not installed KB3008923 yet. It is listed as Important so i might just hide it and forget about it.

17. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I think you are worrying about nothing. I am not an IE user but I installed the update and ran IE for two days, during this two days I did most of my browsing with IE9 and didn't get one single crash or issue.

Bo

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If there were widespread issues, MS would have pulled it by now like they have done with others. It's probably only affected a small number of people...

19. PatsSoxBruins

PatsSoxBruins Registered Member

To be completely honest I have never had Patch Tuesday screw up any of my computers. Even work computers. But isnt this why we image our pc's? Something goes "bork" you mount the good stored image and presto. Up and running like nothing ever happened.

20. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

21. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Indeed. Me either.
    Some of you guys that have trouble must be really unlucky. :isay:

22. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

last tuesday pathch was succesfull on both of laptop and desktop...no issues...
    b/w I converted from Avast to ESS on my desktop before the update.. :)

23. Dragon1952

Looking around the Internet and answering my email, I see at least a hundred posts from people who are being told their copy of Windows 7 is disingenuous when, in fact, they know it's genuine.

If you guessed that all of those problems were caused by a bad Black Tuesday patch, you win the small prize. If you guessed that the aberrant patch is KB 3004394, you get the big prize. ...http://www.infoworld.com/article/28...efd6211cc7c#tk.IFWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2014-12-15

24. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Microsoft certainly don't win any prizes. I think it's time to re-hire some of the people they made redundant recently. Especially those that are on patch quality control.

25. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

True, and I highly encourage everyone to image their machines. There is still the downtime though. Especially at work where the boss wants to know why.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.