Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

This might be helpful to someone. In my W7, I decided to keep 1E9. No upgrade to 10 or 11. In January, I installed Windows update kb/3124275.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3124275

This update includes an "End of Life" upgrade notification for Internet Explorer. So, you get an extra tab when you open IE9. Its a headache. Uninstalling kb/3124275 solves the annoyance.

Bo

2. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I ticked all the Important ones except for the IE11 cumulative update. After the first NetFramework installed, the screen went black and stayed that way for an hour. No disk activity either. I left the PC for another 3 hours - just in case the gerbil was resting. Nope, it died. My first black screen of death on W7.

I had to power off. My system would not reboot at all (no BIOS screen and no Safe mode either) so I had to use a bootable CD. The screen was so dark, I thought my drivers had been blown. I had Macrium on an external HD, so I plugged it in and selected repair (it was close to impossible to see it on the screen), and once it completed I chose restart. The screen recovered completely and I got the message ' latest windows updates did not configure correctly, reverting changes'.

All back to normal after the updates were removed. I checked windows update history and it showed that every one of them failed. Now they will all get resent to me - ha!, can't wait.

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

One of the more discouraging Bork stories, to be sure. Glad that Macrium got you back in business.

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Really is.
    Hi Emmjay, I am very sorry to read about your experience earlier today. I also ran WU today and of all the updates that showed up, I installed only one, the one for Net framework. Rebooted twice during the day, all went well. I thought I tell you so you don't think that installing that particular update is what caused your issue, cause probably wasn't. Greetings.

Bo

5. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

I installed 2 .net framework updates i had for W7 today and had no problems. Those were the only updates from April that i installed so far....Today i went to see the remaining 6 April updates from April and they were not here anymore. They installed by themselves somehow just before i powered off the computer last last.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  6. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Tnx for the support. I will try to install the updates again when they get resent.

BTW: There is no official MS response to the black screen of death. It is different from the blue screen of death. With blue screen you get an error code and you can usually reboot in Safe Mode. With the black screen of death you get no error codes, just a black screen. Getting anything to work is a crap shoot. There are some online fix-it ideas from well meaning posters and bloggers but most of them assume that you can reboot to Safe Mode. That is not guaranteed with BkSOD. It is close to a bricked state.

You can not rely on the Windows Update restore point that gets implemented before the installation of new updates - it is incredibly unreliable. I had full backup images on an external HD, but without the rescue CD I would not have been able to access them. it is just not a matter of having backups, it is a matter of having a mechanism by which you can access them in a situation such as this. I chose the repair function over the restore function from my rescue CD and fortunately it worked this time.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

@emmjay
    I'm not sure if it's a Win 7 laptop you have, but usually black screens of death on a laptop can be fixed by turning off laptop, removing battery and power lead, and then pressing and holding down the power button for a minute.

Plug the lead back in then turn on machine, when all comes back up then the battery can go back.

8. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Tnx Stapp, I will keep this info handy in case it ever happens again.

9. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Good to know, I'll have to remember that. Thanks for the tip @stapp

10. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

In the last month, on separate occasions, both of my grown daughters have texted me to ask for help with black screens on their notebooks. I suggested they try the method stapp has described, and it worked both times. So now they think I'm a genius! ;)

11. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Also, you can do the same, by just pressing the power button a few times, instead of holding it down for a long time. If you run Tweaking.com's Windows Repair, it actually recommends you do this, before running any of its fixes.

12. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Install updates in small batches at time. Seems Windows will choke on anything over 100 MB.

13. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

KB3146706 is listed as one of the Important updates, but strangely, unticked. Win 7.
    Guess I'll hold off on this one for now ...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  14. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

All the updates that failed the first time around were resent this morning, except for the Netframework updates. I selected everything except KB3146706 (as it is unticked anyway). This time they all installed successfully on restart and the Netframework updates that had failed the first time around showed as successfully installed - even though I did not re-install them. No point questioning what that is all about.

I will leave KB3146706. Maybe it was the culprit the first time around.

15. Dragon1952

16. Dragon1952

Tom says:
    April 16, 2016 at 8:18 am
    My WU is set to check for updates only. Wednesday it showed there were eight important updates that were all checked, and one optional update that wasn’t. On Thursday morning all the updates were still showing, but KB3146706 no longer had a check mark next to it.

17. Dragon1952

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-...ses-additional-15-seconds-reboot-process.html

KB3146706 causes additional 15 seconds to reboot process
    I'm not asking for any help rather my post is just a fyi and wanted to outline something I noticed:

Yesterday Windows Update released KB3146706, MS16-044 Security update for Windows OLE April 12, 2016
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3146706

I have confirmed on Windows 7 that after installing this particular update my reboot times increased 50%.

Let me explain. After having an SSD with an i7 my Win7 reboot times (desktop to desktop) is just 30 seconds and so you really get used to that amazing speed, but after this update it was 45 seconds, and so in that context, coming from 30 seconds - you really notice it.

I was curious, so I proved it all out the usual ways, even tried it on two separate machines was the same thing.
    I then decided not keep it for now, and so restored my main towers OS partition image and did this months important updates again except KB3146706 - and now it's back to what I call normal.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  18. Dragon1952

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

20. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  21. sugar

sugar Registered Member

SYRINX - Are you still seeing this issue and do you have any update? Which tool did you use to image these systems? Thanks.

22. Dragon1952

23. anon

anon Registered Member

Microsoft Security Bulletin

24. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

It turns out it was due to something I had done. It's been reverted and now those updates apply correctly for me on the VM.

25. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Thanks very much for that information.

I was looking for the source.
    Did Microsoft only mention it in the "securitynotifications" e-mail?
    I find it mentioned at SecLists.

By the way, what is wrong with Microsoft, to mention the http URL, instead of the https URL!
    https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.