Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

2. siljaline

3. anon

anon Registered Member

Also here:

Microsoft pulls Exchange 2010 update
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-pulls-exchange-2010-update/

4. siljaline

5. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

For one more time,
    Updates created problems rather than fixed ones.

It makes users wonder
    if Microsoft really tests Updates
    before releasing them...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  6. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Over 20, wow! Glad to hear you had no problems.

8. Daveski17

9. Daveski17

Thanks, it appears we are right to ignore our PC balloons for a week or so, KB 3004394 has 'disappeared' from my borklist, indicating that Mickeysoft have pulled it.

Hey MS guys ... here's an idea; thoroughly check these patches before you release them.

10. Daveski17

I'm guessing a big 'no' on that. :mad:

11. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Strange I just check a minute ago and KB3004394 is still there. I have Windows 8.1 I don't know if it is the reason?

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It was in my updates list yesterday (Weds) and it got installed along with the others, but so far I have not noticed or seen any issues here. Perhaps they reissued a revised version of it the next day (not Tuesday, but Wednesday)?

13. Antarctica

You are probably right Kerodo, but I guess in the circumstances, I will wait another day or so before installing the Updates.:doubt:

14. Daveski17

I don't know, all I can say is that it disappeared from my update list.

15. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Not from mine. I had installed them all as a test and removed it when I saw there were issues reported. If I check for updates it comes back in the list. Not installing it.

16. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I just rebooted my laptop and it completed installing the latest updates without any problems. I never reboot specifically to complete installing updates, I only reboot when I have a specific reason to. I have a batch file sitting on desktop which I run after installing updates, which stops the Windows Update service so I don't get the annoying popups telling me Windows is counting down until it reboots. I annoys me no end when I'm away from my computer and Windows reboots automatically.

Anyway, Windows started up without any problems, just as it always does after installing updates. This is a good thing as I just opened System Restore and there were no restore points, possibly due to a disk cleanup I did a few days ago. When I have problems with my computers I never restore from an image, but fix the problem. So if I had encounted problems, the lack of restore points to restore to may well have caused problems.

I had to fix a Vista computer for a customer last week which went into an endless reboot cycle from some .NET updates. So I certainly do acknowledge that sometimes updates can cause problems.

17. Antarctica

So it does confirm what I said before, it is still there, at least for some people;)
    Question, is it bork Thursday now:p

18. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

5 months in a row now.. I don't know that we can limit this to a particular day anymore. I think Microsoft wants me to run Linux. I think this weekend I will swap out the hard drive in my laptop and install it.

19. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

20. Dragon1952

Some users reported that Windows would not start at all anymore and several other issues such as that the Microsoft Management Console would ask for admin credentials while logged in as an admin or that the installation of Microsoft Security Essentials failed.

The update that caused the issue this time is KB3004394. It is an update for the Windows Root Certificate Program which speeds up the updating of root certificates from once per week to once every 24 hours.....http://www.ghacks.net/2014/12/11/how-to-remove-installed-windows-updates-and-block-them-afterwards/

21. Daveski17

That's interesting. Maybe you're seeing an updated version? I wouldn't install it either, even if it comes back for me as well.

22. Daveski17

I don't know what the solution to this is other than actually moving to UNIX. I was hoping to get a few more years out of Win 7 on my desktop box. It's like MS deliberately wants to go out of business.

23. Dragon1952

One of my Updates was pulled last night. I had 9 updates but only have 8 this morning. I still have KB3008923 which seems to be causing problems for some people.

24. Daveski17

OK thanks for the info. I haven't come across anything about KB3008923 but it is a patch for IE. As I never use Internet Explorer I doubt I'll need it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3008923

25. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

Two days down, ten to go...
    http://www.askwoody.com/2014/botch-brigade-kb-2553154-2726958-clobber-excel-activex-kb-3011970-silverlight-kb-3004394-root-cert-pulled/
    http://windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/wrapping-up-a-somewhat-troubling-year-of-updates/
    :isay:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.