Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I guess maybe Bill Gates does... :)

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Somebody must do!

3. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

4. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

I installed 7877 yesterday instead of waiting for a possible v3 because someone in the seven forum installed v2 and still had his sidebar and gadgets. Mine are still there after installing v2 of 7877.

5. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

After the first KB3097877 update, my Sidebar was crashing. I've disabled the Sidebar, few days later and another KB3097877 update. Re-enabling the Sidebar, and no problems since. ;)

6. topo

topo Registered Member

win7 64bit is it safe to install kb3097877 now?

7. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Was in reference to my Windows 7 64bit. :)

8. topo

topo Registered Member

phantom yes, thanks for your reply. been out of town and offline for past 6 days. just wanted to check before i installed.

9. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Good grief - got this today, here we go again..............

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3112343)
    This update enables support for additional upgrade scenarios from Windows 7 to Windows 10,
    It is optional at the moment, but for how long ?
    Thankyou MS but I've hidden it with all the others.

10. Daveski17

I just looked, I've got it too. Not for long though. Don't they ever stop? I will upgrade my scenario from Win 7 to OS X even sooner if they keep this charade up.

11. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

They're persistent if nothing else !

12. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Thanks for reporting. It's been hidden.

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Besides the above, it also states:
    Hidden!

Re: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3112343

14. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

I got the KB3112343 yesterday. If it's optional, I don't even look what the update is.....straight to hidden as my hidden updates increase.
    In a few weeks I'll be upgrading from Win 7 to OS X. :D
    I don't believe M$ is going to stop this charade soon.

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

They are indeed nothing else... Just persistent.. :)

16. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

KB3112343 is hidden in the "Bork" dungeon here as well.:cool:

17. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'm getting old. Big companies get away with most everything these days. For those of you under 40yrs old this wasn't always so.

18. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Just read the info that MS supplied with KB 3112343 . It has two parts to it - the first being to ease an upgrade to W10 and the second is a fix.

Here is the fix info - NB: it does not fix a problem that you would get if you use Windows Update ...

"Issues that are fixed in this update
    Assume that you use Software Update agent to apply software updates or determine the software update compliance in System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R2. Windows Update agent scans client computers periodically. In this situation, the scan fails and generates a "Not Required" state for all updates. Additionally, you receive an "8007000E" error message."

Businesses are the most likely candidates for the fix , re: SCCM. Sneaky of MS to put the fix in with an ease to upgrade to W10 .

19. Minimalist

I'm under 40 and still remember when things weren't that way ;)

I'm afraid they will start to release such updates regularly. They will release updates that will fix problems and close security holes and at the same time try to get us to W10.

20. Daveski17

I don't blame you. I bought a laptop preinstalled with Linux about this time last year as I was concerned about Win 8 and needed a new laptop. I've never regretted it, especially looking at the train wreck that is Win 10. I nearly bought a MacBook instead but decided to go for a Lenovo with Ubuntu. My next desktop will almost certainly be OS X.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

My next desktop will either be an iMac or a custom built linux machine. Can I ask where you bought your Ubuntu preinstalled machine? I've found a few places online that look like they will build a custom box for you and put either Mint or Ubuntu on it. I'm running Ubuntu now and am satisfied overall. Just curious if anyone knows reputable places to buy from?

22. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I had a problem with the latest Chrome update - Chrome would not open after the update completed. I went to the Chrome forum and followed their troubleshooting steps but Chrome still would not open on my PC - the software installed successfully but Chrome would load its pages. I tried all the remedies, but nothing worked. I ran Ccleaner on Chrome and I disabled security apps, WinPrivacy and CryptoPrevent - no success. Then I decided to do a Windows Repair - it worked - It got Chrome to load its pages and it opened on the internet. However, there was a side effect - Windows update got reset and all my WU history got deleted. When I opened WU, it indicated that WU had never been updated - I now understand that this is normal when you do a Windows Repair (either in W7/8 or W10). If you open 'Installed windows updates' you can see all the installed updates. The message is just confusing - the updates are there and have not been removed.

I clicked on ' check for updates' in WU and got error code 80244019 . There are a numerous number of fix options on many forums, but none of them fix the problem. I waited a few hours and tried the 'check for updates' again and the WU server sent me 10 updates. NB: before I did the windows repair I was fully up to date on important updates on W7 and I had only 2 optional updates that I had not yet installed. I received 10 optional updates including the 2 that I had not installed yet and the other 8 were updates that I had hidden prior to the repair - all the W10 related KBs. Warning: If you do a windows repair watch out for this. You have to hide them all again.

I also suggest that if you have GWX Control Penal installed, you should run it after doing a windows repair, just as a precaution.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I honestly don't see how you guys can even continue to run 7 anymore. I've tried it myself several times recently, and it's just too much trouble nowadays.

24. Minimalist

I'm using it now and don't have any problems. Also don't see much problems on our customers' computers.

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, once it is installed and updated, it's not too bad, but just wondering about what the updates might do every month gets old quick. I tried recently to fresh install 7 SP1 and it literally takes 2 days if you set it to just notify about updates. The first update check takes close to 3 hours here, and I've heard many others with the same problem. If I set updates to Automatic after install, it then totally thrashes my hd for hours after that, making it unusable.

Bottom line, it's just not worth it to install fresh again for me. I don't need Windows anymore. Linux works for me, with almost zero hassle. Win is a nightmare.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.