Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. quietman

quietman Registered Member

This has got me thinking ....

I did a clean install of W7 onto an old laptop with a brand new hard drive the other day .

I used an old W7 iso that I happened to have lying around ( from about 2009 ) and after activating Win Update I was offered
    19 " Important" updates , which I installed , after checking them against " the doo-doo" list of known borkers and GWX offenders.

Then I checked my main laptop , from about the same year , with W7 pre-installed , and it has 264 installed updates !!!
    So where are the other 245 that MS think a user might "need " ?

I've re-booted it 4 or 5 times in the last day or so , and I'm still not seeing any other updates offered .

Can anybody suggest why this might be ?

2. DonLA

DonLA Registered Member

Regarding KB3080079 is for TLS support for "Remote Desktop Services"

Here is an article I found which seems to explain much more. This update seems to be far from a Windows 10 ploy.
    Microsoft Extends SHA-2, TLS Support for Windows
    https://threatpost.com/microsoft-extends-sha-2-tls-support-for-windows/108855/
    -------------------------------------------------------------

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It sounds like you installed an original 2009 ISO which didn't even have SP1 yet, so you might only get 19 the first update check, then more later and eventually you should also get SP1. After you install SP1, THEN you will probably get another 245 or so from all the post-SP1 updates... The other machine is probably preinstalled with SP1, so it's seeing all the post-SP1 updates that your original install machine isn't.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Sometimes WU needs both flavors to install, recognize installed updates or offer more updates. Both flavors being one or more of a Restart & one or more of a Shutdown.

5. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

I stopped updating from July. Though I might be installing the remaining updates on Halloween. :D I read this thread religiously, but don't want to bother updating anymore.

6. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I didn't need it, just uninstalled the offending KB

8. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

I got tired of waiting and installed all of the W7 Oct MS Tues Updates.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I just restored my Win 7 image from last month, and installed this month's updates except for 2 which were in question. Everything seemed fine, but when I shut down, suddenly now Avira is crashing Win 7 with a BSOD blue screen. This never happened before these updates were installed. So... one of them is bad and causing issues, and I'm sorry to say I don't know which one it is. When I run 7 now, I'm turning updates OFF completely. I restored my previous image again, cut the internet, turned updates OFF, then hooked up again. That, I'm sorry to say, is the only way I can see surviving with 7.

10. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Welcome to the club. :) That's exactly what I've been doing, MS Updates OFF Completely.

11. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I still continue to never have any critical issues from installing all recommended Windows Updates, so I will continue to install all updates on all my computers. The only exception being my Windows 7 laptop because, it fails to install SP1, so I have hidden it.

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Are these forced W10 updates & changed settings limited to W7 versions below Professional? Meaning only W7 Home Basic & W7 Home Premium only?

13. quietman

quietman Registered Member

Strange !
    I did a clean install of W7 recently and SP1 was there in the first batch of updates .... it installed without problems.

If what Kerodo wrote ( above ) is correct , I'm probably due for a deluge .... oh what joy !

14. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@quietman There's a good reason for it, it's a somewhat corrupted install of Windows 7, which is a few years old and has seen many hundreds of installs and uninstalls. If I was to do a clean install, SP1 would install.

15. Rules

Rules Registered Member

I've installed Windows 7 Entreprise N SP1, This version of Seven is not concerned by the Windows 10 Upgrade Program, but you still have telemetry related which is easily to deactivate by taskscheduler, services, registry, GPO...

Imho, i think it's a other solution for avoid these bad Windows 10 KB, recuring message, automatic installation (M$ doesn't have the right to force user using W10, principe of liberty).

Rules.

16. ProTruckDriver

I've uninstalled all that I can looking at the Wilders Forum to avoid upgrading to Win 10. I have the following 7 (Important) updates that I haven't installed yet. I have Win Updates shut off at the present time. Are these KB updates safe to install or should I hid them?
    KB3093983
    KB3042058
    KB3080446
    KB3093513
    KB3097966
    KB3077715
    KB3083324

17. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

That's how I got them installed:

KB3093983 - IE security update (installed)
    KB3042058 - encryption update (installed)
    KB3080446 - shell update (installed)
    KB3093513 - security update (not installed, don't know why)
    KB3097966 - certificate update (installed)
    KB3077715 - time zone updates (installed)
    KB3083324 - update client update (have it hidden)

18. Adric

Adric Registered Member

To avoid getting Windows 10 all you need to hide is KB3035583 for W7 and on W8, hide KB3035583 + KB3072318. Both fixes contain the GWX component. That's it - no GWX no W10. For this to be effective, WU must always be set to 'only notify' mode. One other glitch that can happen is that the WU icon will no longer appear in the notifications area. This is caused by one of the windows update client fixes to support W10. To get the icon to reappear, you have to update your Group Policy to enable "Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update" .

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

So, after a week, none of October's updates are coming up bad, aside from the 195 update which had SBIE issues?

20. ProTruckDriver

Thank you @Minimalist and @Adric . :)
    Do you think MS is getting the hint that there is a lot of people disliking what is going on with the updates being forced on us.
    I paid for Win 7 and I think I should be the one to decide if I want to upgrade to Win 10 even if it is free for a year. The way of MS is one hell of a way to get people to beta test when they don't want to.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, I've said before that I don't think much of their business practices nowadays. I am still trying to figure out the best way to deal with 7 given that I'd like to keep using it. I reinstalled from SP1 disk a few weeks ago, so I avoided all the bad updates that were Win 10 or telemetry related. Seems pretty clean, and I'd like to keep it that way. I'm just not sure if I can rely on or trust the updates that are coming thru now. I have lists of the bad guys, but some still seem to be causing issues with apps. I thought I might turn updates off completely, but I really do hate to do that. Seems almost like there's no winning with MS and Win now.

I really wish there were a way to screen the Win 7 updates so that we could feel confident that what we are installing is clean. Wishful thinking I guess... Sigh....

22. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

24. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Isn't that kind of.... dangerous?

25. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

If you've been following this thread and given MS's recent history of Borking computers with it's updates - it's updating that can be dangerous, which is why many of us wait 3 or 4 weeks before installing them.
    Others have been having difficulty keeping their machines from automatically updating to Win X as well, hence they have turned off WU.

Gordon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.