Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

:argh:

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

About a week ago, I was frustrated and actually installed Win 7 and Office 2007 and then turned updates OFF from the start. I set up the system with my apps, and was going to run without updates at all, but I got a bit nervous about it. The only way I could probably protect it was with an anti-executable or HIPS or both. But it was nice not having updates to worry about at all. I guess one could do that though....

3. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have already done that. I went back to an image in early July and turned off updates. So far no problems. I reckon if you practice safe browsing and have a couple of layers of security you should be safe. In any case I image daily so can always return.

I am running Win 8.1 with Start8 all the hot corners and other Win 8 rubbish turned of, so more or less Win 7.

4. Daveski17

Yes, the way things are going with MS upborks I can see that working.

5. Daveski17

I am not so sure the 'security' updates are always that important. There are some troublesome ones I never installed. I think the statistical likelihood of getting infected because of this quite low. I suppose it depends on how you surf.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Great dedication there. What do you use to schedule & image?

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think you're right. Probably the browser is the most likely attack vector, so a few things like ad blockers and script blockers would help. Without the updates, there probably are a lot of holes and vulnerabilities in the system and software, but one has to consider where the threat would most likely enter, and then block that.

8. Daveski17

The only two times I have ever contracted anything (both on my old laptop) were once from an infected flash ad and when KMPlayer tried to inject PUP's on a routine update. SUPERAntiSpyware dealt with the trojan and Avast! removed the PUP's as they were trying to install.

9. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

10. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

The more I read about Win 10, The better I like Win 7. :D

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It kind of amuses me. People who swear they'd never run any beta software jump right on 10, not realizing the were on a beta operating system. I play with 10, but my main OS is 7, and it will be like that until the hardware dies.

12. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I use Macrium Reflect paid. Set up a schedule and leave it at that. Also have some baseline images by another program stored separately.

13. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Absolutely ! :thumb:

14. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I know a lot of people who are doing exactly what you are doing. W10 is not their replacement OS, it is their 'let's check it out OS'. They would not be 'test driving' it for MS, if it was not free. W10 has been well received by many, however it still has to prove itself suited to the Enterprise - for business or for the delivery of government services. Seems that a lot of people are not aware that most businesses/governments have been advised to wait until 2017. There is a message there.

MS plans to introduce new features as they become available and that puts a huge emphasis on Windows Update to get it right. Important updates should not be expected to be potential weapons of mass destruction. Currently WU processes are questionable, QC has proven unreliable and the servers are overwhelmed. The WU service is in need of a complete and thorough audit - but MS seems oblivious to this. When users are scared to install something that is supposed to be a benefit to them, it is lunacy to continue without making changes or at least announce that changes are currently being discussed.

15. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I never used Windows 7, I used Windows 8.1 didn't like it through just got use to it.

16. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I agree, Microsoft themselves say's that Windows 10 is a work in progress.

17. Daveski17

I couldn't have put it better. :thumb:

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'm one of the people who has been checking 10 out for the past 2 months. Overall, it seems to run pretty well on my machine, but it does have rough edges. I have images here of Win 7, 8.1 and 10, which I use alternately as I see fit. Also have images of half a dozen distros. I use Debian most, right now actually. But it IS fun to play with 10. I won't say bad things about it, but there isn't really a lot there to recommend it to me. 7 is by far safer and more familiar for my purposes if I want Win.

I doubt MS will ever really listen to users much, nor will they ever change their agenda until they're actually facing overwhelming disaster. Sad, but that's how I see them nowadays..

19. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Totally agree. Although I used to the same thing about XP ...........:D

20. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Are you sure that you want to delete C:\Windows\SysWOW64? I would never advise anybody to do that.

21. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Now you don't. That folder is crucial for running 32 bit software. Uninstalling the kb303... will take care of gwx

22. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

This is the same as saying "remember kids, when the creepy guy in the van offers you candy you say YES and get into his van".

Don't follow these advices, at all.

23. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

Yes, please edit your post. Following this would be bad.
    If you're fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing, try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Oh, wait, that's crossing the streams.

Deleting SysWOW* will cause problems that would pretty much require a wipe/reinstall to fix.

24. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Manually checked for MS Updates today. Found 2 optional (KB2952664 and KB3083710) - In the hidden file they go!
    Also got another KB3035583 today. That makes two 5583's hidden.

KB3035583.JPG

25. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Yep! Same thing on my Win7 machine, all hidden... again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.