Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. quietman

quietman Registered Member

Managing these " security " updates is turning into a major headache and a lot of work , and it's a real grind to check the latest batch
    against what has previously been offered , and hidden .
    Many of them come back again each month , even if they have been hidden already.

MS appear to be working several different strategies here ..... the nag icons , and the constant repackaging of previously issued updates ,
    which is surely aimed at users who have " hidden " the updates that they don't want installed on their system.

For those users that accept the GWX updates and would like to get W10 " free " .....

MS seem to be vague on the " consuming" of existing valid licenses on W7 , W8 systems whose users actively choose the W10 upgrade .

It looks like " burning your bridges " .... in that you can't go back to W7 or W8 if you decide you don't like W10 ,
    because your original W7 /W8 license will no longer be valid , it will have been converted to a license for W10 only .

If I've misunderstood something here , I'd really welcome any corrections !

It could be that the onslaught of The Bork really is unstoppable .... " resistance is futile ... you will be assimilated .... etc, etc ".

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I've seen it mentioned twice now that once you "consume" your Win 7 license by upgrading to 10, you can't go back to 7. That's it for me, I cancelled my reservation today. That plus the lack of control over Win Updates in 10 turns me off for now.

3. quietman

... my bold above ...

Oh yes , Kerodo , thanks for reminding me .
    All by itself , that is a deal-breaker for me !

This very thread tells it's own story ( 30 pages so far ! ) ..... and that is for an update system which users can control !!!

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, this is a huge concern. Imagine that an update in 10 borks your system (quite possible given the trend this past year), then how do you recover? You could restore an image, but without control over the updates, it was just happen again when it installs them again, over and over in an endless loop. That just isn't going to work. And I think MS will have to reconsider this at some point, or face a lot of angry users.

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I think you've hit the nail on the head there! ;)

6. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Do you think MS really cares about angry users? I don't think they do at this point. :(

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

No, you're right, actually I think they have almost zero regard for their users nowadays... which is at least half the problem. It's sad, but true.... I think all they care about (if anything) is their corporate/business market. They obviously don't care at all about the home user.

8. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

No, this is wrong for a variety of reasons but the most obvious explanation I can think of right now is that they are aggressively seeking a way to reduce the exposure of user's systems to infections and other problems related directly to the issue of persistent vulnerabilities in the wild that can be addressed by simply updating the OS. As we are all aware, there are too many unaware/uneducated users out there who give you a blank stare when you berate them for failing to apply available patches that if installed long before they called you for help it would have made your service call a hell of a lot easier and their lives a bit less frustrating.

Don't attribute aggressive response to something darker as you will most likely be perpetuating a myth rather than getting to the real reasons an action is taken or a policy is enacted...

JMHO
    Mike

9. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

Same here, have cancelled my reservation for windows 10 due to the fact it will "consume" my windows 8.1 x64 pro license. Microsoft really have to clarify the situation better or else there will be a lot of annoyed folk that will find out they can't go back to their previous OS after trying windows 10 & not wanting to stick with it.

10. Daveski17

I think quietman was joking essentially, but he has a point. Microsoft are aggressively seeking a way to make up for their colossal misreading of the changing market and the fiscal loss they incurred with Win 8. The often utilised false argument that it is principally for the security of 'Ma and Pa' and the unwashed masses just doesn't wash with me I'm afraid. They are trying to railroad the entire world into upgrading to Win 10 as if we'll all have a collective amnesia about Win 8 and Metro. Microsoft claim that extended support for Win 7 will last until January 14th 2020. This doesn't explain the preponderance of borked updates however.

11. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

But that's the thing. Who as a business is going update to this possible unstoppable borkfest known as w10? Unless the borked updates to come are just an evil joke on average consumers & businesses will get the "real" updates. There's going to be push back & a lot of extended service contracts for W7 after official W7 end of life support. Maybe these leaked w7 business extended service updates will be leaked & the few in the L33k communities like here will get them too.

Or M$ totally blows their 90% market share of home OSs. And becomes the latest & greatest throwaway of marketshare since Lucky Strike cigarettes went from every other pack (50%) of cigarettes sold in the US in the 1940s. To less than 1% marketshare after refusing to make a filtered cigarette till the mid to late 1960s. That pigheadedness cost Lucky Strike at least $10 billion USD.

12. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Microsoft is becoming a joke nowadays. The QC is going down rapidly, I think mainly because there are so many jobs got outsourced to overseas, and to be done by many lame programmers in there. Oh, and even the home offices are occupied by immigrant works with low skills who are trafficked here by ICC firms, such as Info Sys and Tata consulting. These people are scums and are destroying the US IT industry. We have been hearing more adn more banks and even government websites being hacked, because of the low skilled "high tech immigrant/outsourcing".

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/...w-train-your-much-cheaper-foreign-replacement

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...-says-he-was-told-not-to-hire-us-workers.html

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/Silicon-Valleys-Body-Shop-Secret-280567322.html

http://articles.economictimes.india..._uscis-h-1b-visa-holders-immigration-services

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/10...-in-major-assault/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=1

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Outsourcing imo (not humble) does make companies scum. DisneyWorld in FL just did this & made employees train their foreign replacements for 6 weeks before firing them. And our local power company same thing. Sick, twisted & evil. I believe there's a special place in **** for those making these decisions.

14. oliverjia

I have been a Windows user since Windows 95 days. I can see clearly that Windows is getting more and more problems ever since the Windows 8/8.1 era. The corporate culture at MS also appears to be changing dramatically. Before, Microsoft just do things. Nowadays, even before an OS get released, all sorts of news and ads are out to bombard everyone (yes i am talking about Win10), . I say, too much talking and too little solid delivering. I hate this stupid style, . I think, the leadership at Microsoft, instead of just bragging, just shut your mouth and deliver us a solid product.

The Windows Update has seldom any problems in WinXP/7 days, and started getting problematic also since Win8/8.1.~Comment removed~

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2015
  15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If we cannot eliminate the vitriol in this thread, it will go away.

Longtime members of this forum know our policy well. If not, re-read it.

16. oliverjia

I apologize for my harsh words, but I do think that's what caused the problem with the current Windows update system, even the entire Windows OS. Yeah I know there are "political correctness" everywhere in this county, but people still will ask what under the table caused the current problems.

I also realize my comments are likely OT, so please kindly delete my comments if that's what it takes for this thread to survive. After all, this thread is about Windows Update.

Thank you

17. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

That's why I created a Windows 7 install without activating any Windows Updates, even the update that is required to govern Windows Updates. I don't need MS to bork my system, I am capable of doing that all on my lonesome, thank you very much!

18. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

This post is not about problems caused by updates, but about issues installing them.

I've just done a clean install of Windows 7 SP1, and am installing updates right now. It took probably around 45 minutes for Windows Update to finish searching for updates. I actually thought it was somehow broken, despite being a clean install of Windows, so I installed a number of updates with Autopatcher.

After a number of tries and reboots, I left Windows Update running, and eventually it found updates. Currently, it's nearly finished installing 202 updates. My laptop started running slowly, so I opened Task Manager and found that despite having 4GB of RAM, physical memory usage was at over 90%. Windows Update was the cause, with Trusted Installer using 2.2 gigs of RAM, and a peak usage of 2.5GB! This is just ridiculous in my opinion.

I did a clean install of Vista yesterday, and Windows Update was much quicker to find and start installing updates. Well before Windows Update showed me a list of available updates, Vista had started downloading updates in the background. This was a much better experience than in Windows 7.

19. Daveski17

I think it's Microsoft policy that only they are allowed to bork their customers' computers. I hear they are quite accomplished at it. lol

20. Daveski17

Well, technically, it's about problems specifically caused by Patch Tuesday's updates. I ran Vista from 2008 to 2014 and I have been running Win 7 for four years. However, it is only relatively recently that the Patch Tuesday's updates have become problematical. The causes and origins of this we can only speculate. Either way, it is a concern for anyone running Windows, regardless of specific operating systems, as they all seem to be affected.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I did the same thing recently, a clean install of Win 7 SP1. You're right, it takes a long time for the initial Win Updates search, but on mine I'd say it was more like 20-25 minutes, and then it came up with the list, nearly 200. Then after that, there are of course more and more to install. The entire process took about 4 hours, just to install and update Win 7 SP1. I still think 7 is much superior to Vista, but it's obvious that time and age affects the entire process and slows it down. Perhaps the initial time used is a function of low memory, I have only 4 GB here also. At any rate, I took an image or two after doing all that, and hopefully will never have to do it again.

22. quietman

.... my edit above ...

Yes indeed , it wasn't meant literally !
    It was very much a "tongue-in-cheek" remark , and with the benefit of hindsight , I should have added an emoticon !

I thought it would have been a pretty clear reference to Star Trek ( i.e. Borg / Bork ) ... but just for the record ...
    .... I don't really believe that " resistance is futile ... " - whatever the Borg might say !

.... not yet , anyway :)

23. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Sometimes on a new install of a Win 7 machine I set updates to 'download but let me install' Then I leave it alone and it seems to download and notify me quicker via the taskbar icon than it would if I set it searching for updates.

24. Daveski17

LOL I got the Borg/Bork reference! ;)

I think MS are going to have to accept that they are not going to bite deeply into the Android dominated mobile market. They should concentrate at what they do best. Markets change, but I can't see the desktop/laptop market disappearing and being totally replaced by phablets, tablets and various assorted smart devices quite yet (if ever). They may not make the same profits as they once did but it doesn't mean they have to fold as a company either. What they really need to do is stop alienating their present customers with shoddy and problematical patches combined with a ridiculous need to promote any new Operating System releases regardless of the wishes of their customer base.

Your hegemony is over MS, adapt or go the way of the dinosaurs.

25. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

I wonder if anyone at M$ watches this thread ?? Do they care ? - probably not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.