Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

I don't want anything without my assessment and agreement first - this includes Win 10. KB3035583 NOT installed here.

2. quietman

quietman Registered Member

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi thanks
    i guess the last update mess up my update module :(

4. rugk

rugk Registered Member

5. quietman

Some of these little blighters keep coming back , again and again ..... even when it's clear that
    they are not welcome .
    I liken them to the winter "vomiting virus " ..... nobody wants to see it again.

Even when they are already installed !
    I still haven't found a good explanation for how that happens , and if they install twice , or just appear on the
    update history twice.
    And yes ..... my Windows " Auto-update" is set to off ...... "notify only".
    So they all have to present themselves for inspection before installing .

KB3035583 appears to fit into this same pattern , along with updates related to Microsoft Customer Experience ,
    or whatever it is called ( see earlier posts in this thread for more detail ....)
    ..... coercing users from W7 to W10 seems to be the name of the game.

Will they never learn ? ....
    .... Who would willingly change from W7 to W8 , for example ?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Good point, not me for sure. I think Microsoft, after having misread the mobile market so badly and trying to socially engineer their way back with the pig's ear that was Win 8/Metro, have decided to essentially abandon Win 7 eventually and place their future hopes on Win 10. Win 7 was such a phenomenal success and is still the world's favourite operating system. But it is probably a financial burden for MS and they would rather everyone would swap Win 7, and even Win 8, for 10. Even to the point of giving it away free in an update. Personally, I'll run Win 7 as long as it's supported. After that, I will consider alternatives to MS.

7. quietman

The MS policies with regard to " end of life" and " extended support " for legacy operating systems is all smoke and mirrors.

Literally thousands of companies , and government agencies , all across the globe are still totally dependent on paid-for extended support
    for XP ! ..... ( do a search .... I'm too lazy to put in links here :) )

After the 2008 "financial crisis " , these organizations could not possibly budget for a " ground-up " rebuilding of their entire IT infra-structure.
    Look at RBS and NatWest banks in the UK if you want an example .... ancient in-house software , written by outside firms of contractors
    who went out of business years ago .... and the result was that their entire system crashed one weekend , and it took weeks to cobble together
    some patches .... and it cost millions to compensate angry customers whose automated bills didn't get paid , and who couldn't use ATMs.

And Microsoft know all of this , and they are genuinely frightened ( "excrementally afraid " ) that when these organizations finally bite the bullet ,
    and start again from scratch , they will almost certainly abandon MS , and probably choose the Linux route for their future needs.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  8. Daveski17

Yes, XP is still widely used in the NHS for instance. I've been told by staff where I have my physiotherapy sessions that they're being upgraded to Win 7 at some time in the near future as well! You'd think that at least in the UK they'd consider using something like Ubuntu. I recall a conversation I had with Georgio Maone on his NoScript forums several years ago about the British government abandoning plans to implement Linux in certain government controlled departments and returning to Microsoft. There was some element of bribery and corruption rumoured between certain politicians and Microsoft at the time IIRC. Georgio Maone simply replied to me "Follow the money" when I asked his opinion on what was happening. I think he was right lol. I bought a brand new Lenovo laptop just before Christmas. It doesn't run Windows.

9. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

About 3035583 :
    I'm not fully understanding it. I just now checked for Windows updates on my Win-7 Pro (Dutch); (I was some days off).
    I noticed in the screenshot in reply # 455 from Daveski17 that it is "optional". If I saw it right (and you know that it is very well possible that I am not seeing things right; you know, eyes...) it was "important" on my system. That's what I am not understanding.
    Anyways, for now I have hided it; we will see how coming Patch Tuesday will go.

10. anon

anon Registered Member

fyi: 3 PC's (Windows 8.1U3, 32-bit & 64-bit), was optional too.
    Also here =
    Hat tip: member niki (#471).

11. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi anon, thank you!
    But on my Win-7 Pro 64-bit Dutch it is showing as "important" and not as "optional".
    I restored a backup image from 29 March and checked again. I will post a screenshot (hoping that it will not blow up the margins).
    Translations:
    Belangrijk (Dutch) = Important (English)
    Optioneel (Dutch) = Optional (English)

MS_KB3035583_2015-04-06_01.jpg

12. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

According to http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/894199 the metadata for this update was changed on April 3.

13. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

14. anon

anon Registered Member

ok but here in wilders, who talks for what happen from April 3 and onwards?
    Personally, I got the update on Mar 27, 2015 and that time was optional.

15. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hey anon, I was just trying to understand why I got it offered as important while you and others were getting it as optional. Maybe it can be important info to some.
    I do thank you, MrBrian, Daveski17 and all others here for your posts! :)

16. quietman

For me , KB3035583 was flagged as " Recommended" ..... go figure ! :)

Here I'm taking the word " Recommended" to mean " MS really want this installed on your system
    even though it's probably of no possible use or benefit to you ".

It looks like MS are " paving the way " , or simply pushing for W7 users to move to W10.
    These posts seem to point to the truth about this update , and how to deal with it .....
    #448 , #466 , #479

I wonder what further irritations they have planned for people who don't want to "upgrade"
    ...... and who also refuse to install KB3035583 :)

Using W7 Home premium SP1 -64 bit

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  17. Daveski17

You're welcome. :)

18. Daveski17

I'm guessing this: KB2952664, which appears to be the same thing as far as I can tell.

07 04 2015 upbork.jpg

'Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7'

http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2952664

Hmmm ... let me see ... 'optional' ... where shall we file that? ;)

19. anon

anon Registered Member

20. niki

niki Registered Member

Daveski, I did hide that KB2952664 some time ago. Good read: http://www.infoworld.com/article/28...tch-kb-2952664-fails-with-error-80242016.html

21. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

That's the entirety of the official explanation.

Analysis shows, though, that KB 3035583 is a shill for Windows 10. As poster rugk on the eset Security Forum says, it's "an adware/PUA/PUS/PUP for Windows 10 upgrade."

Aldershoff goes into detail:

Once the update is downloaded it adds a folder to System32 called "GWX" which contains 9 files and a folder called "Download". One of the four .EXE files reveals what the update really is, the description of GWXUXWorker.EXE states, "Download Windows 10″. This explains the X in the name, the X is the Romanian [sic] number 10......http://www.infoworld.com/article/29...ed-it-s-a-windows-10-prompter-downloader.html

22. Daveski17

23. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

24. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

I too got the update notification for KB2952664 this morning, and filed it indefinitely.
    I'm glad I keep an eye on this thread, thanks for starting it Daveski.

25. Daveski17

You're welcome. Microsoft Bork Tuesday; the reason why Macrium Reflect was invented lol!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.