Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

It was the same KB number with the same KB article, but the new KB2952664 version is different from the previous ones.
    Please see Microsoft's comments in Woody Leonhard's post regarding KB2952664.
    Microsoft:
    This new version of KB2952664 is meant mostly for enterprises, for them to be able to use Microsoft's "Windows Upgrade Analytics Service".
    About that Windows Upgrade Analytics Service, see this article, for instance:
    Manage Windows upgrades with Upgrade Analytics

Just hide KB2952664, if you don't need it.

Microsoft should have been so smart to change the KB article, or even the KB number, to prevent people get upset and annoyed.

2. catspyjamas

catspyjamas Registered Member

Thanks so much Stupendous Man. :) Those articles were both useful to read. Yes they should have changed the KB number - I imagine I wasn't the only person confused by that! I installed it just in case it affects any future updates.

I got another optional update this morning with a similar blurb about resolving compatibility issues (KB3150513) - this one does look to be related to "updating to the latest operating system". I would have thought anyone who wanted to upgrade to Win 10 would have done so while it was still free? Guess they are allowing for people who change their minds. OR they've got more cunning plans up their sleeve for people running 7/8/8.1....

3. Stupendous Man

Interesting.

KB3150513 says:
    "September 2016 compatibility definition update for Windows
    This update provides the latest set of definitions for compatibility diagnostics that are performed on the system. The updated definitions will help enable Microsoft and its partners to ensure compatibility for all customers who want to install the latest Windows operating system. Installing this update also makes sure that the latest Windows operating system version is correctly offered through Windows Update, based on compatibility results."

I don't get KB3150513 offered.
    In KB3150513's Prerequisites section, I see that it is dependent on certain prerequisite updates.
    For Windows 7 SP1 the prerequisite update for KB3150513 is KB2952664!
    And I think a recent version of that prerequisite update is required, as on one system I have an early KB2952664 version and KB3150513 is not offered.

By the way, I notice that Microsoft updated the KB2952664 article!
    Now it says:
    "Compatibility update for keeping Windows up-to-date in Windows 7
    This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program. The diagnostics evaluate compatibility on the Windows ecosystem and help Microsoft to ensure application and device compatibility for all updates to Windows. There is no GWX or upgrade functionality contained in this update."

As mentioned earlier, the new version of KB2952664 is meant mostly for enterprises, for them to be able to use Microsoft's "Windows Upgrade Analytics Service".
    Now it looks like KB3150513 is the next piece, in addition to KB2952664.

4. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Wow:

Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 appraiser telemetry events and fields
    https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=822965 (pdf)

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

What does it all mean, Mr Wizard!? :)

6. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Are you using an Enterprise license?

7. ozbadcat

ozbadcat Registered Member

Following advice on AskWoody site - I am not downloading/installing anything from the October updates - at this stage. I have however noticed - without any this months "speed-up" patch - that WUpdate is not checking for new updates - and more annoying not updating definitions for MSE - anyone else experiencing this o_Oo_O? ( have done it manually to get around the issue )

8. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Microsoft is claiming no free upgrades will be offered in the future.

That's what they said before they put back in an update giving them the option of activating a Windows 10 upgrade in the future.

They still want people to move to Windows 10.

9. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

8 days ago I posted this.................

Maybe keeping the same KB2952664 number should be regarded as some kind of clue.

10. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

I believe them, since Microsoft is such an Honest Company. They would never lie to there customers. :argh:
    Downloaded and installed All including Optional M$ updates, Nothing happened yet to both Win 7 computers. Waiting. :rolleyes:

11. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

This morning Disk Cleanup ran without me starting it. I did not have any windows updates waiting for a restart, however I did have to restart for another reason. Got the message 'Windows configuring, followed by do not turn off computer, followed by cleaning up'. It took about 3 minutes, but I had less than 100MB that could be cleaned for windows update. I had run disk cleaner on September 30. When the 100 % completed msg appeared, Windows restarted. Trusted Installer was doing its thing after that.

On September 20, I installed KB3185278 which has improved support for disk cleanup - it may be associated. Guess it was searching out not-needed hotfixes so it can start the cumulative rollup process in earnest. Anyone with a lot of baggage is going to find this process will run for quite a while. May cause some angst.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  12. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Microsoft Update Catalog is finally updated to work with any browser
    Code:
    http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com
    tested on Chrome x64
    :cool:

13. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

Thanks for the link. Working on latest versions of Firefox and SeaMonkey here and even IE 11 :D

14. anon

anon Registered Member

15. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

16. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

17. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

October, 2016 Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 (KB3192403)
    Code:
    https://download.microsoft.com/download/C/D/0/CD0CB383-B4B9-47C8-8B4B-D5712D1FCE3F/Windows6.1-KB3192403-x64.msu
    https://download.microsoft.com/download/D/3/C/D3C6865E-D0CC-457D-AFC8-18D6828D222D/Windows6.1-KB3192403-x86.msu
    October, 2016 Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 8.1 (KB3192404)
    Code:
    https://download.microsoft.com/download/A/2/8/A2863F1B-BE1B-4CE7-9669-E819FEADB224/Windows8.1-KB3192404-x64.msu
    https://download.microsoft.com/download/B/1/D/B1D87865-4AF0-476B-A770-C527494C0A4E/Windows8.1-KB3192404-x86.msu
    Me as a messenger only:

abbodi1406 @MDL said:

18. Stupendous Man

I wondered what abbodi1406 was talking about.
    I see it's in the "More information" section of KB3192403 and KB3192404.

19. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i would like to create a poll about what does the user do?
    disable , install everything or via catalog

20. Stupendous Man

The "More information" section of the KB3192403 and KB3192404 articles says:

"This package updates the Diagnostic and Telemetry service to provide benefit for enterprises using Upgrade Analytics to plan and manage the Windows upgrade process. [...]"
    (N.B. See KB article for all details.)

The KB article also specifies how to disable the mentioned Diagnostic and Telemetry feature:

1. Locate and then select the registry subkey
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection
    2. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    3. Type DisableEnterpriseAuthProxy, and then press the Enter key.
    4. In the Details pane, right-click DisableEnterpriseAuthProxy, and then click Modify.
    5. In the Value data box, type 0 (not disabled) or 1 (disabled), and then click OK.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  21. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

22. Cache

Cache Registered Member

I still have my WU settings box "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" unchecked.

Last week this thread (particularly Stupendous Man) was very helpful in enabling me to install the October Rollup that was hanging.

WU is now showing "No important updates available" and before today I had 50 Optional updates and now have 51 because the October preview KB3192403 has been added.

If I check the "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" box, I find that
    44 of the Optional updates have now become Important updates, including KB2952664.

My question is this: If I continue to leave the "Give me recommended updates etc" unchecked, will later rollups include all these optional updates, thus making my attempt to avoid them futile.

I think I read somewhere that in a few months MS will start including older KBs in their monthly rollups so that eventually all these optional ones will get installed anyway. Unless of course I move to security only patches.

23. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

When checking for updates, I am now getting 3177467 offered as important on my Win 7 Pro.
    I notice the kb article is now at revision 3.0 dated 18 Oct 2016.
    It is still unclear to me what "Servicing stack" means. I wished that Microsoft did explain that clearly in the article.

24. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. I never installed it, and it has disappeared from the list.

25. Stupendous Man

This is what Microsoft said about it, so far:

August 15, 2016,
    Further simplifying servicing models for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1:
    "Over time, Windows will also proactively add patches to the Monthly Rollup that have been released in the past. Our goal is eventually to include all of the patches we have shipped in the past since the last baseline"

August 30, 2016,
    A Bit About the Windows Servicing Model:
    "within 6-8 months the monthly rollup will include all patches back to the last baseline and will be fully cumulative"

October 7, 2016,
    More on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 servicing changes:
    "Starting in early 2017 and continuing for several months, older fixes will also be added to the preview rollup, so it will eventually become fully cumulative"

However, except Microsoft, no one knows what that means, exactly.
    Does Microsoft mean fixes and patches in narrow sense, thus meaning only updates that fix real issues,
    or do they mean updates in a broad sense, including all updates, also the ones that no one needs and no one wants?
    Only time will tell, I guess.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.