Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

You would need to check for the latest driver on the Logitech Support Site.

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/anywhere-mouse-mx#download

Do you have another mouse (wired) mouse available or can you borrow one? Have you tried that?

Does Device Manager show a Logitech Driver for your Mouse or a Microsoft Driver?

You do have your USB doggle connected to a USB 2 port, right??

Post updated for MX Anywhere Driver, not MX Anywhere 2

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  2. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Yes, I looked there. Only SetPoint software is available there, which I don't want. The mouse has always worked 'out of the box'.

Device Manager does not show a Logitech driver, so I presume is is a generic Microsoft driver.

Dongle is inserted in USB (not sure if 2 or 3) port. Haven't tried a wired mouse.

I can't remember when this issue started, but IIRC it was OK when I first upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 1511, but can't be sure now.

At least I have a work around for now.

More frustrating is (presumably) a driver issue on my primary machine, when in my AU image, it won't shutdown or restart :)

3. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thanks Stupendous Man for confirming and the AskWoody links (I hadn't read those articles when I posted about the July Rollup that was offered again); and sorry for late replying.

4. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thanks JR. I just came aware of these updates this morning, Win 7 64-bit, and installed. Some remarks:

The July Rollup: I didn't get it offered again. I had it already offered again not long ago as I posted earlier.

3182203 - the time-zone update for Novosibirsk I didn't install and I hide it.

3179949 - the Reliability Rollup for the .NET Framework 4.6 and 4.6.1
    It seems a bit strange that this update is optional while it seems to be a security update (for .NET Framework). A security update being optional? Not sure what the reasoning behind this is. I'm not the only one wondering about it. But I installed it.

3181988 - SFC integrity scan. Installed.

3184143 - Remove software related to the Windows 10 free upgrade offer. Installed.

3185278 - September 2016 update rollup Win 7.
    Although I mention this here at the end, I started by just only doing this one alone as the first.
    It caused me some problems. Once "installed" I was asked to reboot; OK, I confirmed to let the computer reboot. But instead of rebooting the computer shut down. Never saw that happening. I restarted the computer manually. Now I have learned some lessons: always after every MS update look at my AV NOD32 event log, and indeed here was that warning again:
    "Personal firewall;An error occurred while starting proxy server. Analysis of application protocols (HTTP, POP3, IMAP) will not function". I have had that warning for several months. That error had stopped since I got NOD32 upgrade 9.0.402.0, and I had hoped that it would now stop for ever. But it didn't as for this morning. Coincidence? I don't know. Anyways, after closing down internet connection inmediately once I saw this, and several scans, and several reboots, the warning from NOD32 was not shown again (in previous such circumstances I had to close down and shut down everything and I waited several hours and the warning was gone once I got a new virus-update for NOD32).
    Sorry for this long story about NOD32 and MS updates.
    Anyways, this 3185278 is installed, and I get no more warnings from NOD32.
    And later I have to run my file integrity checkers but that takes hours.

Cheers !

5. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

After downloading and installing the Sept MS Updates and restarting i see that i have a new update now, which is

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. I had it hidden, and it became alive once more. Maybe because there was a September rollup? :doubt:

7. anon

anon Registered Member

KB3184143 Update to remove Get Windows 10 offer out
    http://www.ghacks.net/2016/09/21/kb3184143-update-remove-get-windows-10/

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

9. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

About the July Rollup:
    OK, thanks JR, maybe that's the reason or maybe MS thinks it is important.
    (As said before: I had the "original" July Rollup installed and I installed it again when it was offered again not long ago)

10. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

I didn't get it offered on Win 7.

11. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Why are so many of you installing unticked optional updates?

Optional Updates that have not been ticked are for testers. They have not been proven stable. You are asking to be borked. :eek:

12. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hello emmjay,
    Is that true? Are unticked optional updates for testers? Maybe my memory isn't working right (could well be possible), but for me that seems to be the first time I heard this.

13. mantra

mantra Registered Member

HI
    may i know when microsoft will stop to release updates to upgrade to w10 ?
    thanks

14. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Well, "are for testers" may be emmjay's interpretation.
    But I have the same sort of interpretation.

Some updates are first offered as optional, and some time later rereleased as 'recommended' updates. Those first optional updates are not officially 'for testing', but one could say unofficially there's test updates. In the period that those updates are offered as optional, the more daring users installing them, aware or unaware of the fact that they are the first to try those updates. Some time later, after those updates have been tried out by the early adopters, Microsoft rereleases those updates as now 'recommended'.

With the new servicing models for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 we see the same thing: last Tuesday a series of optional updates were released, "Monthly Rollup Preview", that will probably be integrated in October's Monthly Rollup.
    See Nathan Mercer's comments, here and here.

15. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thanks for reply and links.

But, and here goes, I haven't seen yet any so-called "Monthly Rollup Preview", whatever they may be. If there are such "Monthly Rollup Preview" then MS has to be very open and clear about them, and has to be absuletely clear if and when and which updates are involved. There cannot be any mistake about such updates. Oh, I forgot, the QA department is no more existent there, and that in itself has been shown.

16. haakon

haakon Guest

I ran Patch Tuesday on the 15th and waited until now to run MS's GWX whacker KB3184143 all by itself.

Glasswire logged some interesting changes to svchost.exe during the update.

And a bit later when updating another program, it became apparent lsass.exe had also seen a change.

KB3184143-GWXchanges.jpg

The obfuscated "green" items are unrelated loggings.

GWX is dead! Long live GWX! (With apologies to Shakespeare.)

Well, except for this winsxs garbage. The \system32\gwx folder is gone, tho.

gwxGarbage-KB3184143.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2016
  17. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

True.
    Nathan Mercer mentioned those, and said they will be available on the 3rd Tuesday, which was last Tuesday.
    I suppose some of last Tuesday's optional updates are the so-called "Monthly Rollup Preview".
    However, none of the recent updates were clearly mentioned as "Monthly Rollup Preview", so we can only speculate. One could say it's a mess.

Very true.
    But that doesn't seem to be the Microsoft way.
    Microsoft comes with announcements through TechNet blog articles (like Nathan Mercer's article), which are rather vague, details are missing, and to top that off, more information is offered in comments to such articles (like Nathan Mercer's comments), which are evenly vague. Have I already mentioned it's a mess?

18. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

You may notice that updates disappear and reappear in the Optional category. Optional updates show up after MS has finished their in-house testing (some pretty extensive production/test scenarios are set up) but they have to eventually release the upgrade to the real world. Then the IT Pros (Enterprise) give the updates a pretty good thrashing and while that is happening the consumers see them as optional updates. If there is a lot of reported problems from the IT Pros, MS will pull the update. That is my understanding and that is why I referred to them as updates for 'testers'. Early adopters is a more gentle description.

19. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

20. mantra

mantra Registered Member

21. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

If the computer has Windows 7 installed but has a valid license for Windows 10, you can receive the updates, the invitation to reserve Windows 10, etc. I saw this last week in a new Lenovo laptop.

22. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks Robin A.
    so i should not see any update to upgrade or invitation to upgrade to windows 10

23. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

If Microsoft's sales of paid Windows 10 isn't decent, look for it to bring back free Windows 10 permanently.

People won't pay $100 for something they could have had for free.

24. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

No, No, No. I don't want to be looking through all these updates again forcing us to update to Win 10. :eek:

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

After installing my 6 previous Updates today, a new KB3177467 (Optional) appeared as Reported by Dragon1952.

I'll wait awhile before installing that one as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.