Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Windows 10 x64 Updates:

Downloaded, installed, and rebooted without issues. :thumb:

2. itman

itman Registered Member

I won't even get into the details of the Win updates hell I have went through this morning!!!

Yes, I manually downloaded KB3161608 yesterday from the Win update catalog and applying that allowed for the receiving of June Win Updates.

Now for the hell part. One of the June updates is giving me a blue screen upon reboot after applying all updates. Luckily, a system restore will fix the blue screen. This is the first time ever I have received a blue screen from a Win 7 update. So I will now proceed to download each update individually to determine which one is the bad update. My gut is telling me its either MRT or the .Net 3.5 update. I received a weird EULA screen from MRT on my first bulk June Win update download that I never have seen before. Strangely after a system restore and another bulk download attempt, that EULA screen for MRT did not reappear.:cautious: Did I say how much I truly hate Microsoft?

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

OK, thanks for the info.

4. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

I downloaded and ran 1608 but it said it did not apply to my computer and did not install.

5. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

KB3020369, "April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2" , is a prerequisite for installing KB3161608.
    Perhaps KB3020369 wasn't installed, earlier?
    Perhaps because earlier there were some issues with KB3020369. Those issues were solved, since then.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Well, I have a real horror story for you.. I restored my Win 7 image (up to date thru June) last night and it started checking for updates at 6:30pm. I let it run all night while I slept and this morning it finished at 8:30am. So that's a whopping 14 hours to just check for updates, lol. A new record! At any rate, I then downloaded and installed them in just a few minutes, no problems there. Everything seems fine after a reboot.

I'm going to also go in there now and install that KB3161608 June Rollup, which I hope will fix the slow issue for me when I check next month and beyond. If it does, that would be great.. 14 hours is getting a bit silly. :)

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I started an update this am and after 1 hour of searching, I re booted. I then installed the 1608 update manually and tried again. Search took 5 minutes. This is on Win 7x64 pro.

8. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

I started Windows Update last night around 8:30 pm on my Windows 7 64 notebook, and it was finished this morning when I woke up. I decided to go ahead and install KB3161608 with the hope that it fixes the issue as it's done for others here. I won't know until next month when I check for updates, but it can't be any worse than it is now.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, in retrospect, it would have been smarter for me to install the 608 update in June. Then this month probably would have been fast. I did install 608 just now, it was in my Optional updates, which I usually ignore. So with any luck, things will be different from now on..

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Same here x 2. 1608 seems like a miracle after the agonizing extended wait times for getting updates.
    2 minutes on one machine and 5 minutes on the other, both 7x64.

11. Dragon1952

I did not install 369 before because of reported problems that i hope are fixed now. I installed 369 and then 1608. I then downloaded and installed the 2 .net updates i just got for July. The downloading and installing only took a minute or so, so maybe 1608 helped out.

12. wshrugged

wshrugged Registered Member

13. Dragon1952

I have Dell Bluetooth.

14. Stupendous Man

Does that still work OK, after installing KB3161608?

15. Dragon1952

I don't use Bluetooth so don't know if it works or not.

16. itman

itman Registered Member

Whew! Just got done installing all 9 security updates plus MRT scan, one update at a time.

Only issue was the .Net 3.5 update which crashed explorer.exe upon reboot after install. A subsequent reboot fixed that. I also question this update since .Net 3.5 really is not fully operational.

My advice if doing a bulk update at once is hold off on KB3168965 and install it last standalone. This is an update to Win kernel drivers and I believe was the culprit when I initially tried to install all updates at once.

Also appears that KB3161608 rollup update is holding as far as fixing the Win 7 update issue. Time will tell. I also forgot to mention that prior to applying it, I did run the online Win Update Fix-It. And, the Fix-it did find a number of issues with registry settings and the like.

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You were right... I started Windows Update 'yesterday' at 10 am and this morning when I checked at 6 am they were finally there...Pretty ridiculous, not only a waste of energy (yes, I belong to that crowd who switches off appliances when not in use), but my computer was running for 20 hours with the CPU stuck at 52%... The only consolation for the time being at least, is that when I re started W.U. again to check for updates it reported results within 5 minutes... The update saga continues on...

18. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Updated 3 Win 7 laptops yesterday, all of which had 608 already applied. Updates were found relatively quickly, but downloads still seem slow.
    No incidents, except one, where .NET 3.5 update took hours to install. Successful in the end but then .NET 4 update failed - needed reboot and separate install.
    That was on second attempt. First attempt took so long I cancelled, restored image and ran Fix-It also before trying a second time.

19. itman

itman Registered Member

I truly believe that download time is directly related to load factor on MS update servers and which servers are used. When I was downloading the updates one at a time, I had large updates take significantly less time than the smaller update downloads. Go figure.

Also, today's boot was much smoother than past day ones. Also no excessive CPU time from svchost.exe -netsvc from Win Update modules. So again, appears the KB3161608 rollup update did the trick.

20. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Sometimes it does the trick and sometimes it does not. I think there are a lot of other factors involved.

I have 1664 and 1608 installed on a W7/32 laptop and the check for updates and the install was very fast - that was Wednesday morning. On Wednesday afternoon we saw 1 update available on our W7/64 desktop which also has 1664 and 1608 installed. Selected it for install and it ran at 50% CPU with svchost exe-netsvc right through to Thursday morning. 0% downloading.

So the client side was where it should be, but the server side was AWOL. They must be servicing all those last minute W10 free upgraders - guess the next two weeks are going to be torturous. I decided to shut down Windows Update on the desktop until GotW10 has been officially declared.

21. Logethica

Logethica Registered Member

It appears that at least some Windows 10 Pro users found that after recent Windows Updates they found the following..
    "C:\Program Files\CMAK"
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\CMAK"

A DESCRIPTION OF CMAK
    • RAS Connection Manager Administration Kit (CMAK): This tool allows you to create custom remote access profiles for VPNs. Unless you know you need this to administer a network, you don’t need it.

22. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I had this installed into Progarn Files after the last Win Updates on my Win 10 Pro machine.

However if you go into (the old way!) Control Panel/Programs and Features and the on the left of the page select ''TurnWindows Features On or Off''

The RAS Connection Manager Administration Kit (CMAK) is not selected so the feature is not turned on.

23. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I keep on getting "Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3174060)" followed by "Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later."
    Even though "Give me updates for other Microsoft products products when I check Windows" Is unchecked.

24. Stupendous Man

I don't know what is causing that issue -- but as Adobe Flash Player is embedded in Edge and in IE11, which are both Windows components, the fact that "Give me updates for other Microsoft products products when I check Windows" is unchecked will not make any difference.

25. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.