bored about outpost 4 need change it

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mantra, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    i'm running outpost
    but i'm bored , the 4 version is a resource hog ,need ram and resource ,and is bloody slow

well i'm accustom to the pop up windows and make rules in real time well how outpost works

is there some alternative , light that doesn't slow down my connection and my pc

with the same outpost behavior , and rules style

i read that comodo 3 is slow and buggy
    every advises are welcome

have a nice day

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Re: bored about oupost 4 need change it

Comodo is far from sow. I find it alot little then OA. Takes awhile to get use to but extremely powerful.

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

sorry i did not understand
    the only firewall that can be close to outpost is comodo
    comodo 2 or 3 wich the best light & safe?

4. Dieselman

LOL. I typed that without my contacts in. I meant to say that Comodo is far from slow. Its very fast and light. Lighter then OA.

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

but i read that comod 3 is more more more slow then 2

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

My sow is slower than your sow.

I can tell you this, Comodo 3 with D+ turned off is very fast, uses very little memory and very few CPU cycles. With D+ on, you have to ask someone else.

7. Dieselman

Not in my opinion. 2.4 doesn't have HIPS either and never remembers anything.

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks for the advises
    by the way waht is a SOW? my translator translate like "seed"

9. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

How did you reach the conclusion that Comodo is very fast? From what I tested is slower than any other firewall I used... It appears that Comodo is very dependent on the system and the software already installed, otherwise there wouldn't be so many contrary opinions.

10. Dieselman

I have tested tons of firewall on both my laptop and desktop. I get no slow downs what so ever using Comodo with D+ active.

11. nmaynan

nmaynan Registered Member

I have the same opinion. I used Outpost Pro for years and loved it. When 4.0 came out, it went down hill fast. Now Outpost is everything I hate about security software.

After trying half-dozen or so replacements to Outpost, I settled on Online Armor (with HIPS deactivated). I like it better than Outpost. But Outpost 3.51 and below is still a fav firewall of mine.

But just so you know, HIPS must be activated for Online Armor (OA) to pass those exotic leaktests (which I think are overrated). But I've found OA easier to use than Outpost. OA does not have Block Most, Allow Most etc. modes. BUT you can achieve the same thing via the Rules tab. For example, for a Block Most mode all you have to do in OA is configure the firewall so it has all the internet connectivity that you need. Then you create a rule to Deny all programs UDP/TCP IN/OUT and select all ports. It functions exactly like an Outpost Block Most mode. Because Online Armor is so much easier to use than Outpost, I've ended up just using a Deny All Programs UDP/TCP IN setting. Then I can still get a prompt for an outbound connection if one is needed.

Outpost always gave me trouble with Firefox--where firefox would cause system to hang on shutdown because of a conflict with Outpost (versions 2.7 and 3.51). And a few other things would cause probs for me if for example I didn't have a global DHCP rule. But none of these things are present in OA. I really like it.

But remember how you sometimes have to hit "Allow Once" in Outpost a gazillion times to get something to work without setting a rule for it? In OA this is non-existant. Select "Create Rule" to create a rule, deselect "Create Rule" to get the Outpost like "Allow Once" feature, or select "Current Session Only" to not create a rule but not have to hit "Allow Once" a gazillion times. It works great!

OA customer service and responsiveness to users/buyers is the Gold Standard too. I'm really happy. Sometimes I come across something I wish was different and I hear that OA staff is already addressing it with future update.

12. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks for your great answer
    wich is the last acceptable version of outpost ? 3.51 i found it slow

did u try comodo too?
    really glad about your answer , i will try online armor , do you use the free version?

13. Carver

Carver Registered Member

14. nmaynan

the last version of Outpost that I was satisfied with was the very last release of the 3 series (I believe 3.51). But even with 3.51 that problem I mention with Firefox was a real hassle. In OA there is no Firefox incompatibility. All Outpost versions starting with 4.0 and up have just trashed my system (and the 4 systems I tried at my friends and relatives :). I tried Outpost 4 and 2008 on FIVE different computers. Only one computer (a system with SP1 had no problems). so 4/5 computers had major stability/compatibility problems with Outpost. It was really bad! This just goes to show that even if the Firewall is technically superior in protection (e.g., Outpost currently has ARP protection as discussed in a recent thread by me; whereas, OA doesn't at the moment but will get it in the future), if the Firewall doesn't have low resource usage and stability/compatibility first and foremost, its level of security is useless. Plus Outpost is no longer a firewall; it's a Security Suite with a bunch of stuff I don't want. OA gives you the option of totally uninstalling the firewall and/or HIPS portion of the software if you don't want them. I REALLY like this feature!

Yes, I tried Comodo. It wasn't bad, but I found OA easier to use and felt like I understood how it worked much quicker. I also found it more configurable. I just like OA better overall. I can point to specific things, but ultimately I just liked the OA package better. And yes Comodo being free was a big incentive for me, but not enough in the end. I feel like OA is going to improve a lot in the near future in terms of Firewall security as a direct result of MikeNash incorporating Stem's recommendations and suggestions into future OA builds.

I ended up purchasing Online Armor because 1.) I like the Advanced Mode and configuration options (e.g., Endpoint Restrictions) that the paid version offers. 2.) I wanted to support TallEmu because their customer service is great! I only expect the firewall to improve over time, so I felt comfortable investing in the company's product.

one thing to keep in mind, mantra, is that with any switch there is a little bit of a learning curve. There certainly was for me when I switched from ZoneAlarm to Outpost. And there was for me when I switched from Outpost to OA--although much less so than when I switched from ZoneAlarm to Outpost. OA is very similar to Outpost and (in my experience) much more stable. The HIPS option is pretty cool, but if you activate it there is some learning you'll have to be patient with. I'm comfortable you'll find all the help you need by reading the OA help threads here at Wilders and from the OA Forum threads. And if all your reading doesn't help you, a post will bring the flock to help you. But if you give OA a chance, I have to assume you'll be a convert based on my own experiences. If it turns out you're not though, I'd surely be interested in why not and what option you select instead.

Either way, have fun.

15. Dieselman

OA is giving alot of people explorer.exe errors and hanging there system. Me being one of them. Just a warning to ya.

16. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

How many is alot? I won't ask for names.
    You make me as sick as your character is by constantly bashing OA.

Gerard

17. Dieselman

I am not bashing OA. I was a big OA fan and actually I was helping Mike fix issues with WOW. Look at the OA posts in here and you will find people. LoneWolf,Wordward,Myself and others. I believe Fuzz also. Bite your tongue before you call me a OA basher.

18. nmaynan

I haven't experienced this at all. Actually, I have had no stability/compatibility probs as of yet w/ OA. Mantra will have to try out whatever FW he selects and see how it works for him. There's no sense in telling him some compatibility problem that every single user does not experience. OA isn't perfect. But it runs a heck of a lot smoother on my system than the new Outpost versions (or the old Outposts for that matter) do.

Have you tried the new Outpost versions? I suppose Outpost has to work on some peeps comps. Otherwise nobody would use it, right?

19. Dieselman

Outpost the new version isnt free. Last time I tried it about 9 months ago or so it slowed my pc way down and I couldnt even browse.

20. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i tried the last version , is a resource HOG

21. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Mantra,
    Just a suggestion.
    What I use is Look'n'Stop, light as a feather with excellant inbound protection.
    If your worried about outbound, ProSecurity free is good for that. I installed PS to see how it ran with the rest of my setup and so far runs great,so it may stay.
    Unless you wanted something in a combo package,then your pretty much limited to what has already been suggested.

22. mantra

mantra Registered Member

well i tried look and stop and it's great
    but i have problems to make rules for specific program
    the pre-made rules are not enough
    you can't know what does a program really in look and stop

23. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Gotcha.
    Just thought i'd make that suggestion.
    Good luck in your search. :)

24. mantra

mantra Registered Member

well i'm using comodo right now
    but i can't make specific rule for a program like i could do with outpost
    is because i have the free version (3)version

25. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Or a resource Sow....:D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.