BOOTWIZ, XP PRO and PASSWORDS

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by cortez, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cortez

cortez Registered Member

The LOG ON screen blocked me out of one of my XP PRO partitions ASKING FOR a PASSWORD even though I NEVER USE PASSWORDS on this machine.

THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE in the recovery console. I tried all browser passwords ,"registered user name", "computer name"and "ADMINISTRATOR" all were a no-go. This has only happened on machines with DD10 installed. IS BOOTWIZ the culprit? I could only surmise that it is so. I suggest that to keep BOOTWIZ and XP PRO from creating their own passwords that you use a password for each administrator's account.

In addition to a paper list I also keep all passwords on a folder in "MY DOCUMENTS" of each partition (and on all HDD's). This way by using WINDOWS EXPLORER I can look up the password of any partition from any
    partition, as all 4 XP Partitions are visable to each other here).

Only AFTER REPEATED attempts did the repair console finally work without asking for a password.

I recovered the partition by "KICKING" it by using BOOTCFG /REBUILD in the repair console and reentering BOOTWIZ's weird BOOT.INI for the lost partition (CHKDSK /r's "KICK" did not work). IT finally let me in by typing in "ADMINISTRATOR"!! Talk about having good luck! (Previous to this only a click on the "OK" box let me enter the partition).

2. cortez

cortez Registered Member

p.s. The repair console bootcfg /repair listed the lost partition as "D:\BOOTWIZ\e7dlFcl\WINDOWS". VERY STRANGE SYNTAX!

I chose to copy it exactly as it was listed fighting off the urge to "correct" it as the partition is listed in msconfig's boot.ini.. I still have all my partitions and they now work alright as far as I can tell.

I guess one week of working correctly on my experimental HHD was not indicative of readiness to use on the "REAL" HHD. I wonder what lies ahead with this "UNHIDDEN TO EACH OTHER" 4 XP partition drive.

3. cortez

cortez Registered Member

WORKAROUND: Have a password and NO LOGON SCREEN: download "Tweak UI" from Microsoft download center and go to "Logon" then "Autologon" and enter in your password. This Power Toy then gets rid of the Logon screen at start up. Nice and easy.

4. cortez

cortez Registered Member

My apologies to "BOOTWIZ": Microsoft admits to assigning passwords to "unpasswored" XP installations!!! AT www.support.microsoft.com/kb/318026, there is a whole article on the problem. Unfortunently no solution to ADMINISTRATOR'S PASSWORDS accidentally installed is mentioned. (other articles state that a reinstallation of Windows is necessary in these cases). I guess A good "KICKING" is a good place to start. Otherwize there are a few solutions floating around in other forums before resorting to FOR-PAY solutions offered by hacking companies. Heads up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.