Bootup time.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lightspeed500, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightspeed500

lightspeed500 Registered Member

Over time I have noticed my PC slowing down more and more as I add new programs. Dose anybody know if this is related to the Prefetch files? If so i'm thinking that maybe I can speed my PC by installing programs and not allowing some to default any files to C: drive. e.g.. I deleted all partitions, created a 10.000mb for the win install C:. Then I created a new partition in the remaining space D:, and in D: I created an additional partition E: 10.000mb. My system lists these as C: Primary, D: Logical and E: Primary. I was thinking I might be able to allow only important progams like AVG 8 and Advanced Windows Care that I install on D: to direct any files to C: all the rest installed on D: will have important folders directed to E: and maybe my PC wont bother accessing them on bootup, Do you think this will work?

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi lightspeed500, welcome to Wilders.

Of course that won't work. How did this come up to you? The executables will be prefetched whichever drives they're started from. After all, your slowdowns have nothing to do with prefetching, it can only be the other way round - prefetching is there to speed things up, not slow them down. If you often install/uninstall you may clean up your prefetch folder once in a while so nonexistent/uninstalled items won't load when you boot up.

As to what is slowing down your system, your assumptions on prefetching stopped you from disclosing more info - OS, hardware, etc. Also, note that if you pile up software like there's no tomorrow, some slowdown is inevitable. And yes, BTW, aren't AVG8 and Advanced Windows Care both antiviruses?

3. WiFF

WiFF Registered Member

Hi Lightspeed, if i may say...?!
    If its the actual bootup time thats a bother,YEH i understand. But if u`re pretty familliar wiff MS-OS`s, then try msconfig & stop progs loading, that u are`nt gona use at the time that u boot - anyway...!? Thats what i do, seeing that all the resources to a specific prog would load byAUTO when u run its executable("shotcut"). :) !
    \_...CooL SPEED 4 YA..._/

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Tips for fast boot.

Turn off indexing for all drives.

Follow the following steps

1. Open notepad.exe, type "del c:\windows\prefetch\ntosboot-*.* /q" (without the quotes) & save as "ntosboot.bat" in c:\
    2. From the Start menu, select "Run..." & type "gpedit.msc".
    3. Double click "Windows Settings" under "Computer Configuration" and double click again on "Shutdown" in the right window.
    4. In the new window, click "add", "Browse", locate your "ntosboot.bat" file & click "Open".
    5. Click "OK", "Apply" & "OK" once again to exit.
    6. From the Start menu, select "Run..." & type "devmgmt.msc".
    7. Double click on "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers"
    8. Right click on "Primary IDE Channel" and select "Properties".
    9. Select the "Advanced Settings" tab then on the device or 1 that doesn't have 'device type' greyed out select 'none' instead of 'autodetect' & click "OK".
    10. Right click on "Secondary IDE channel", select "Properties" and repeat step 9.
    11. Reboot your computer.

To disable Last Access timestamps
    Create the following registry key on your run-time image:

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem
    Name: NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1

steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows1. Start Regedt32.exe and locate the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem
    2. Select the NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation entry.

NOTE: By default, the value for this entry is set to 0.
    3. On the Edit menu, click DWORD. Type a value of 1 in the Data field.
    4. Click OK and then quit Regedt32.
    5. Quit Windows NT and turn off your computer.
    6. Restart your computer and Windows NT.

5. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Arup ! Hi,

NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation and NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdateForArup : I have already with DWORD=1.
    Why?
    Ask Leo?
    No, no: ask Advanced SystemCare !!! Yes, yes ...

Yes, yes.

And thank you for tip 'Ide', 'none' OK.:argh: Start of my PC- before: 24 sec; NOW: 22! ( seconds ...) And Internet is plus vite !

INCREDIBILE!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  6. Arup

Arup Guest

Prorootect,

Glad it worked out for you and now try the disable last access trick, turn off indexing as well as the shut down script and it will improve further.

7. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

ARUP Thank You !

I already indexing tip ...
    In one of my notebooks, or I note the events related to my Windows XP SP2, I noticed 4 pages of tips that I made for 2 years!
    I think myself I became a advice ...

PS. For scripts it- I.E. Tools/Options/Security ...? I have Script Defender from AnalogX ( 0 RAM ).

Thanks, PROROOTECT:thumb:

And: Bonne Nuit !

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  8. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Arup, I have 1 question.

Could you please explain what does that tweak do?

thanks.

9. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

10. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

The Windows folder gets bigger and bigger in time due to updates and programs. Certain patches, fixes can make it slower. Then you got fragmentation of the drives. Try storing the Page.sys on another drive. Turn off search indexing.

Follow this recommendation for better understanding.

http://stevestechguide.com/ultimate-windows-xp-optimization-tweak-guide/
    http://stevestechguide.com/speed-up-windows-xp-startup/

a very good tweak guide from the past
    http://tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks1.htm

If you want faster access long term to cope with a slow Windows use hardware RAID and maintain it often.

drives slow down after approx. 70% full so keep plenty of spare space on the system drive.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  11. Arup

Arup Guest

Hurst,

On my XPx64 PC, it significantly cut down the boot time.

12. HURST

HURST Registered Member

OK, but HOW does it achieve that? It seems that this does something with the prefetch. I wonder if by making the computer boot faster, it might be slower for other things...

Have you found any downside?

13. Arup

Arup Guest

None at all, a detailed explanation can be found here at http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/114735-45-boot-home-long and as you will see this is a tip from the msgroups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.