Booting up time

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Osaban, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I was reading an article in the NYTimes about next generation computers having very fast booting times:http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/technology/26boot.html?ref=technology

I've checked my two laptops with the following results:

Asus W2P, Vista Ultimate32 SP1 booting time to see the desktop - 45seconds, shutting down 35 seconds.

Compaq B 3800, XP Home SP3 booting time to see the desktop - 60 seconds, shutting down 15 seconds.

Obviously after seeing the desktop I have to wait another 10-15 seconds before multitasking. The article mentions a software "DeviceVM, the maker of a fast-boot program called Splashtop" does anyone know anything about it?

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't know what the standard is now on new PCs, but on mine, Vistax64 boots in 39 seconds, XPx64 boots in about 40, and Linux varies from distro to distro, but seems similar. OzOS took 39 I think, and Ubuntu around the same.

Personally, I don't much care how long it takes to boot, cause once it does, I'm up for days without a reboot. So waiting even a minute or so is no big deal for me.

Shutdown is usually pretty fast, much faster than what you mentioned above. XPx64 for instance, shuts down almost instantly..... Vista takes longer.

3. HURST

HURST Registered Member

XP Home SP3
    Intel CoreDuo 1.6 GHz, 1GB RAM laptop.

Boot time: 33 secs until I see the desktop (password entry included)
    50 seconds from power-up until conected to my WiFi network and ready to work.

Shutdown time: 10 seconds

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

How long it takes to boot up and shutdown times doesn't matter that much, unless the user constantly restarts for some reason. What's sad is that even when the OS itself does both fairly quick, by the time the PCs vendor gets done adding all their garbage software, there's nothing quick about it anymore.
    My PC has 4 operating systems installed. Boot time is 55 seconds from powered off to ready to use. It took 1:15 from shut down to online at this site. 15-20 seconds of that is used by the BIOS. Bootup used to take 40-45 seconds total until I added a 3rd hard drive. Not sure why that drive slows the BIOS times so much. Desktop is visible in 40-45 seconds. The PC shuts down in 7 seconds.

It's a shame that the current operating systems are so bloated that it takes such powerful hardware to get a respectable boot time. The old operating systems could boot up in those times on far slower hardware. I got these times using a 9 year old HP with a 366MHZ Celeron, running 98SE. I'd like to see what kind of boot time I'd get using a 1.5-2GHZ processor.

5. raakii

raakii Registered Member

IDE drives increases the boot time whereas SATA ones dont ,as far as my experience is concerned.

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Probably due to the fact that the sata interface supports a higher data transfer rate. If my memory serves me well ide's max was 133mb/s where as sata can be anywhere from 150-300mb/s. Future sata drives are predicted to hit 600mb/s!! :eek:

7. axial

axial Registered Member

The manual for a Gigabyte mobo (EP45T-DSR3) says that correctly entering the BIOS settings IDE channels to "None" if there are no IDE/SATA devices on the channel will skip the detection of the device during the POST for faster system startup.

I believe I've read elsewhere that the same thing applies to unused network connectors, too.

8. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I believe the OP is talking about SSDs which is basically a method of hibernation or the same thing as keeping the OS info in RAM so its ready to use right away.

There are registry tweaks you can use to decrease start up and shutdown times in Vista. It takes me about 25 seconds to get to my desktop in Vista on my laptop.

9. Arup

Arup Guest

36 seconds flat for XPx64 here with 10,000 rpm SATA. XP has been tweaked for fast boot.

10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Theres an Acer, or ASUS (Cant remember which) here in Australia with a Bootup time of 8 seconds. :blink:

11. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

18 sec boot up and can use programs immediately

2-3 seconds shut down

xppros2 :cool:

12. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Looking at your sig it must be yours.

13. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

:p When I install the i7 Extreme Processor it'll boot in under 5 seconds :shifty:

14. Arkham

Arkham Registered Member

Bootup time for my XP desktop (booting off a WD 640GB Green) is roughly 35 seconds until I can click and launch programs. It loads stuff like AVG, rivatuner, razer drivers, color calibration software and more stufff, so I am sure the times can be cut down if I remove some of these from the startup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.