Booting Seperate OS From External HDD

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Samus, Sep 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samus

Samus Registered Member

OK, here's my dilemma, and thanks to anyone who can help:

I have an old HP Pavilion (n3150) notebook computer. It has a 4.24 GB hard drive. I simply need more space.

Last night, I bought an internel hard drive (60 GB), which, to my surprise, didn't fit in my notebook (I'm guessing because it's a few years old).

I'm using Windows 98 SE for the record. My dad bought me a Windows XP upgrade some time ago.

I was wondering if I bought an external hard drive, if I could do this: install 98 onto the external hard drive, upgrade that to XP, and make the external hard drive the primary boot device, so I want to use the external hard drive all the time, and I don't really want to use the internal one anymore.

Is there a way to do this on my computer, since it's fairly old, and I'm almost certain BIOS doesn't let me boot from a USB drive? Can Boot Manager allow me to do that, though?

Thanks.

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Samus

Welcome to Wilders

No, unless you BIOS sees the Extrenal USB device in the first place to be able to Install 98 [also 98 need USB drivers for USB devices, so it would never Boot as it would not see itself. if you understand what I mean], which I doubt it will, there is no way to fool it in to Booting.

Anyway would be no reason to Install 98 first, you boot from the Windows Upgrade CD and when it can not find an older OS it will ask you to to insert one [as proof] in to the CD drive, take out the XP one put in the 98 press OK then it verifrys the 98 CD and you put the XP one back in the drive and follow the XP Install.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  3. Samus

Samus Registered Member

I checked my BIOS and "Removable Devices" is found in the Boot menu.

Does that mean I can boot from the external hard drive?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.